Bleach being ripped off?

Anime and Manga

Bleach being ripped off?

Postby GonFreeces31 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:19 pm

The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Re: Bleach being ripped off?

Postby Grain » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Probably. Somebody better telegram Mr. Kubo, stat!

There's always been plagiarism. Ever since the day after entertainment was invented.
Grain

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:00 pm

100% ripoff. And what's more annoying is that someone bothered ripping bleach off. XD
I mean bleach is overrated and not worth of being ripped off by anyone.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:36 pm

Well their is some irony to this considering how many series bleach itself borrows from, but never quite as blatantly as that series seems to be "borrowing" from bleach. Bleach might be over rated, another series with a decent beginning where the writer seemed to slowly get crushed under the weight of his fans expectations and his own harsh release schedule, but it is still not only a decent series, but an extremely popular one, so it makes perfect sense to rip it off. The only current series arguably more popular is probably naruto. However if your going to rip off a series you should at least try to be subtle about it, those shots almost suggest the guy was literally using panels of bleach for reference while he was drawing his own panels. At best he's a huge bleach fan and allowed the series to not only influence him, but slip so deeply into his subconcious that its dramatically effecting his work. At worst he fully understands he's ripping bleach off and doesn't care.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby ANIMEniac » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:33 pm

See, there is using panels and shots as reference, and then there is just copy+paste.
What about paying a homage by imitating something? There's a weird thin line about that stuff too.

In this case, i see it as mostly copying. His style is so similar to bleach. Then the shots are pretty much exact copies, even the styling.

There are some cases where similarities are evident b/c it is possible that the people who work on the projects are one of the same. Maybe they like certain shots or just liked a certain idea so much they ran with it again.
We see manga and animations of the same series try to utilize shots form each other.

I think stuff like this happens a lot in the industry. People are borrowing stuff here and there to help improve their work, or make it easier. The main difference is how much you borrow, how well you can use it, improve it, or how well you can hide it.

Here is just a little something fun and partially related:
http://www.basugasubakuhatsu.com/blog/2006/04/19/naruto-vs-cowboy-bebop-blatant-anime-plagiarism/
ANIMEniac

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 pm

That's old ... very old. I bet many naruto fans think cowboy beebop copied naruto. :roll:
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Callonia » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:24 am

Wait what, people copied Bleach? Lol?

I'd expect that coming from china. But I was proven wrong for once.
Callonia

Postby Eladin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:02 am

for a second, before looking through that whole thing, i thought everyone was blowing things out of proportion...but...there's definitely a difference between imitation and plagiarizing. maybe he is a fan of the manga, and he's just not that imaginative as an artist, so used Bleach as a guide. but...at some point...even given that...one would think you'd stray eventually. but even some of the character mannerisms and expression...there sure was a lot there to suggest theft. too bad you could bet even with that much "evidence" (which is a lot more than in most plagiarism cases i would suspect) there wouldn't be much of a trial. it's simmons' kid for pete's sake. :P
still...that's sad.
Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.
- Savielly Tartakover
Eladin

Postby Vascha » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:43 pm

I've seen this in american comics throughout history.. it happens... The only thing you can do to actually consider it outright plagiarism is to compare the storyline. If that is different, then the guy can pretty much get away with it, there are similarities, but a few things are slightly different here and there.

You should look up the history of deadpool and deathstroke the terminator.. Other than the fact that deathstroke as a character has been around since 1980, whereas deadpool first appeared in 1991, however many people in the mid 1990s and early 2000s, kept putting forth that Deathstroke was a rip on Deadpool.... (btw, the 2 characters share a host of similarities)

Still, the guy who did the incarnate thing... he should be kicked repeatedly in the nuts.
Everyone once said that the earth was flat.
Everyone once said that the earth was the center of the universe.
Doesn't mean that everyone was correct just because they agreed.
Vascha

Postby Eladin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:05 am

anybody who thinks deathstroke is a rip of deadpool is a tard.
i'm pretty sure there was an interview done some time ago where the creators of deadpool admitted that they really liked the character of deathstroke and drew upon him for inspiration or something though.

but yes...simmons should be kicked in his family jewels (oh ho! funny!) :P
Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.
- Savielly Tartakover
Eladin

Next

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy