Ergo Proxy

Anime and Manga

Ergo Proxy

Postby Romdeau » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:41 pm

Well, since my avatar and name are dedicated in tribute to this fantastic, philosophical work, I thought it would only be fitting for me to create a thread on it.

Ergo Proxy raises a lot of issues such as materialism, self-destruction, and (for a lack of a better way to describe it) the critique of people in general blindly obeying the system. There's a bit of religion splashed in the mix, but that's just the cream of what it's getting at. Not only does it raises these issues, but it manages to keep you entertained (although it is rather dark at times) through the character interactions (namely, Pino).

I'm curious if anyone on this board is as much of a fan as I; I'd also like to know if you saw it and DIDN'T like it-why?

Any replies are appreciated.
Romdeau

Re: Ergo Proxy

Postby Grain » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:15 am

I was interested.

I read a review saying that the main character is very emotionally distant.

I like emotions, so, I'm not sure if I'd like Ergo Proxy.
Grain

Postby Romdeau » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:10 am

That's kind of hard to hammer down-there are 2 "main" characters as far as I can tell, and yes both of them start out as emotionally distant. As the story progresses, there are significant signs of bonding; there's no shortage of emotions throughout the series, but if you're looking for a happy-go-lucky band of fighters (i.e. Gintama or Inuyasha), you're not looking for Ergo Proxy.
Romdeau

Postby erestor » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:59 pm

i have only watch to ep 5 but what i have seen i liked, i usually watch anime that have an overpowering romance as it central theme, i.e. true tears[ i know terrible right ]; but i have gotten into psychological lately and ergo proxy delivers it in droves. i hate 92% of all shounens.
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

Postby GunCastor » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:13 pm

I remember watching the first episode and I didn't know what was really going on. I think I kinda have to puzzle out the setting, like the Ghost in the Shell TV series. The main character, a woman who can seriously fight, didn't seem to be too interesting either. Maybe it'll get better later but there were too many other anime distracting me at that point.

Lately, I haven't been in the mood to watch a lot of complicated or action anime anyways. Yet Metal Gear 4 entertained me when I was over at a friend's house, how weird.
GunCastor

Postby Grain » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:15 am

I've been watching nothing bu complicated anime lately, but, I'm really enjoying the simplicity of Jigouku no Shoujo.
Last edited by Grain on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grain

Postby erestor » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:58 am

Grain wrote:I've been watching nothing bu complicated anime lately, but, I'm really enjoying the simplicity of heck Girl.

i think it is alright to use 'hell' in this case because it is the tittle of a show. and you are not using it is a profane manor

*edit* nevermind it auto changes it
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

Postby Grain » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 am

erestor wrote:
Grain wrote:I've been watching nothing bu complicated anime lately, but, I'm really enjoying the simplicity of heck Girl.

i think it is alright to use 'heck' in this case because it is the tittle of a show. and you are not using it is a profane manor

*edit* nevermind it auto changes it

Oops!

I changed it to the Japanese name.
Grain

Postby Romdeau » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:51 am

erestor wrote:i have only watch to ep 5 but what i have seen i liked, i usually watch anime that have an overpowering romance as it central theme, i.e. true tears[ i know terrible right ]

I would argue that there is a secondary theme of love that begins to become very noticeable around midway through this series. There are a few cases early on, but it doesn't become a full fledged issue until the final episodes of this series. Although it's not prominent, there is a romance in this story.
Romdeau

Postby Grain » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Proxy wrote:
erestor wrote:i have only watch to ep 5 but what i have seen i liked, i usually watch anime that have an overpowering romance as it central theme, i.e. true tears[ i know terrible right ]

I would argue that there is a secondary theme of love that begins to become very noticeable around midway through this series. There are a few cases early on, but it doesn't become a full fledged issue until the final episodes of this series. Although it's not prominent, there is a romance in this story.

Is Ergo Proxy the origin of your name?
Grain

Next

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy