Cross Game

Anime and Manga

Cross Game

Postby Romdeau » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Since one of my most cherished series of all time is coming to an end next week, I thought I'd use an avatar that is dedicated to it ( at least for this week, not sure if I'll keep it). Cross Game is basically a sports anime with a bit of romance, drama, and comedy. It's incredibly addictive, and I highly recommend anyone to at least give it a try. You'll find out who's in my avatar quite quickly (should be after episode one). Find out more about Cross Game here!

It doesn't have a very large fan base in America (being a sports anime and all *sigh), but if you're a fan (no matter where) post here if you feel like geeking out over this wonderful series!
Romdeau

Re: Cross Game

Postby Multi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:19 pm

The manga finished a few weeks ago. Adachi is quite odd. His stories are all basically the same, his characters are all basically the same, yet all his works are charming and addicting to read. Cross game is his latest 'big hit' and there's a reason why this show is running at something like 51 episodes rather than the paltry 13 episodes many new shows are running. It's that good.

The anime seemed like it went really quickly the last few episodes. I feel like it's missing a good 50-100 chapters from the manga, but the anime is already quite long and they probably can't afford to take it to major shounen level episodic numbers.
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Ginnazoh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:10 pm

I havent read this series yet but I read katsu! by the same author and i found it surprisingly enjoyable so I'll probably check out cross game sometime in the near future.
Ginnazoh

Postby Romdeau » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:41 am

Just watched the ending, and unsurprisingly, it was quite satisfying. I'm sure another episode or two would've made the pacing a bit easier, but nonetheless this is a series with a well done ending. The scenes seemed natural, in character, and resolute. I look forward to many more shows such as Cross Game in the future.

Koushien! ;th2
Romdeau

Postby crimsonshade » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 pm

One of my favourite anime of that season. Very very nice character interactions and development. Immediately after episode one I was hooked.

Although I think just one more episode/OVA then it would be perfect... I'm really curious to see what happens with the pairings they established.
crimsonshade

Postby Multi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:14 am

It's not adachi's style to ever show the epilogues of relationships very clearly. Cross game has one of the most decisive endings in all his series. Katsu also finishes very well with the coupling. The rest of his series tend to have some sort of, "yeah our feelings are mutual" but then it's either business as usual, or a shadow of the couple being together, drawn with no detail.

Other series pull off that "unfinished" kind of feeling, but they do it poorly, Adachi does it masterfully.
Multi

Postby crimsonshade » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:17 am

Ah, that's too bad. I was really looking forward to more since he established the final endearing moments of Aoba so well (the crying, asking for the picture and the holding hands). It was so good that I thought it would keep going for an extra scene at the end giving a sneak peek of their lives after Koushien or something... but then the episode just ended. Took me by surprise, and left me wanting for more.

I'm inclined to check out his other works... but I might be more critical about them due to the precedent Cross Game has set.
crimsonshade

Postby Multi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:34 am

joshisawesum wrote:Ah, that's too bad. I was really looking forward to more since he established the final endearing moments of Aoba so well (the crying, asking for the picture and the holding hands). It was so good that I thought it would keep going for an extra scene at the end giving a sneak peek of their lives after Koushien or something... but then the episode just ended. Took me by surprise, and left me wanting for more.

I'm inclined to check out his other works... but I might be more critical about them due to the precedent Cross Game has set.

Don't feel that way. It's part of his style and charm. There's no doubt in who ends up with who in his endings, so I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing. It ends in a way that should be satisfying, much like cross game, it just doesn't have this, "oh we get married and have kids" kind of way of showing you directly. When I said it's like other series that cop out and leave an open ended ending, I'm mostly refering to HAREM style series, adachi works are not like harem style at all obviously, and any real rival relationships are concluded by the end of a series.

The leaving you wanting more but being satisfied feeling is just his way. I feel you're supposed to use your imagination on how their lives continue, but the endings always let you know that their feelings have crystalized in some way, even if they aren't immediately a "couple" doing "couple" things.
Multi

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy