Phantom of The Requiem

Anime and Manga

Re: What did you marathon recently or liked to marathon?

Postby Romdeau » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Here is the post I am talking about-here Again, it's under the user name "Kirkdawg". You can read all of my glorious Phantom and other anime related posts under that user name.
Romdeau

Postby Demongod » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Ewww...I utterly disagree simply given the episode 10 precedent. If you can take 3 bullets and being dunked in ice-cold water for who knows how long, you can take 1. Generally considering how bad the aim is of everyone in the show compared to say, Athrun Zala of the Gundam SEED-verse (that is, they always aim for the center of mass as opposed to shooting any specific point on the body--as evidenced by ep 25 when he kills Cal/3 instead of shooting her in arm for instance), I'd think that the likelihood of dying to a puny 9mm for someone that's taken as much damage as Reiji was used to...would be pretty unlikely.

As for why he "dropped dead" instead of fighting back/protecting Elen: A) he had no gun on him because they thought they finally got rid of the guy who was making their lives miserable or B) he was acting (as he is so prone to). So he literally played dead so the assassin would go away. That or he just fell unconscious (aka only mostly dead). If he's to die by blood loss, it'd take several hours.

I'm not sure why everyone interprets him as dead dead dead. I found that part pretty silly actually. I mean the guy took all sorts of abuse earlier on just to be put down by one bullet? Eh? Highly, highly doubt it.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby Peralisc2 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Ok i am watching Phantom and all i can think of is why don't those two initial phantoms do eachother. Nobody erased their natural instincts ... :lol:

So it seems a bit "dis-natured".
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Eladin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:42 pm

Macross Plus at Sakuracon...

oh...the nostalgia...
Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.
- Savielly Tartakover
Eladin

Postby crimsonshade » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:57 am

Romdeau wrote:Here is the post I am talking about-here Again, it's under the user name "Kirkdawg". You can read all of my glorious Phantom and other anime related posts under that user name.

This was also my first impression of it. The bittersweet end fits the whole Phantom theme and atmosphere quite well.

Demon: I'm assuming Inferno's head honcho knew what he was dealing with when he sent the assassin, and hence would've picked a suitable guy for the job (a Phantom IV perhaps?). This isn't an ordinary lackey or just some random guy without a plan. He knows that shot did the job perfectly. Probably shot him in the heart or something. I duno. All I know is it's completely unrealistic for this guy to just drive off without being 100% sure he got his job done.

Yes he probably didn't have a gun. But what's to stop him from warning Elen instead of just standing there? And playing dead won't save Elen. The one thing I cannot accept is him falling unconscious immediately after getting shot... because as you said, he should be very much used to getting shot.

As for ep 10, well, he got shot by the crazed doctor who probably barely knows how to fight... it's quite probable his aim was a bit off (non-fatal) for all 3-4 shots. But this and getting shot by top Inferno assassins are quite different things.
crimsonshade

Postby Ginnazoh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:20 am

iirc requiem for the phantom an anime adaptation of the VN phantom of inferno by nitroplus (a game i have sitting somewhere on my old pc)..but yea i definitely recommending checking out the game if you enjoyed the anime.
Ginnazoh

Postby Demongod » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:18 am

joshisawesum wrote:
Romdeau wrote:Here is the post I am talking about-here Again, it's under the user name "Kirkdawg". You can read all of my glorious Phantom and other anime related posts under that user name.

This was also my first impression of it. The bittersweet end fits the whole Phantom theme and atmosphere quite well.

Demon: I'm assuming Inferno's head honcho knew what he was dealing with when he sent the assassin, and hence would've picked a suitable guy for the job (a Phantom IV perhaps?). This isn't an ordinary lackey or just some random guy without a plan. He knows that shot did the job perfectly. Probably shot him in the heart or something. I duno. All I know is it's completely unrealistic for this guy to just drive off without being 100% sure he got his job done.

Yes he probably didn't have a gun. But what's to stop him from warning Elen instead of just standing there? And playing dead won't save Elen. The one thing I cannot accept is him falling unconscious immediately after getting shot... because as you said, he should be very much used to getting shot.

As for ep 10, well, he got shot by the crazed doctor who probably barely knows how to fight... it's quite probable his aim was a bit off (non-fatal) for all 3-4 shots. But this and getting shot by top Inferno assassins are quite different things.

Actually he was standing there for a bit before collapsing. As for warning her...because she was really far off and odds are the assassin didn't notice her. Basically, it's sort of a case of "Never found the body". We (the viewer) do not have 100% indication of death. If they absolutely wanted to milk a second season, they could (if they really felt like pulling a Mwu La Flaga on us) have all three get up (including Cal). Just that I don't think there's anything left to milk considering the rest of the cast is dead.

Edit: and even if it was a heart shot...what did Elen in ep 10 teach us about getting shot through the heart?
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

Demongod

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:12 pm

If the anime Phantom is so good to get such a long discussion, dosn't that mean it deserves it's on thread`?
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Re: Phantom of The Requiem

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Woah! Great show, too bad there were so many messed up parts ... i could make a list with at least 30 completely flawed things.

Most irritating sequence is when Einz kills Scythe, when he looks at the sky, she should've shot him first in the balls to remove the smile from his face and then kill him so he wouldn't die so happy. >_>

Yes, it's Einz the number and not Ein the amount!

And the ending with the carriage sniping Reiji, was so god cursed lame, it's just ... better if you cut that part. Elen turned around with a smile, maybe she was about to get shot while still enjoying her happy moment, but she wasn't dead yet.
Whatever ending you think you've seen, stick to it, no need for a ridiculous long debate for it, treasure the ending you've seen since that's part of what makes the anime so valuable in your eyes and worth the time spent.

Then Cal dead, again lame sequence! "where did we go wrong?" Reiji asked, i tell you! You didn't know where to stop. -.-
Also was thinking the entire time how many wrong decisions Reiji makes, know what i would do if i was in his place constantly chased by that blonde ... oh well, nevermind, it's just an anime character, forget i ever mentioned this, but there wouldn't be any "killing Cal" involved.

Anyways the anime, although being filled with lot of James-Bond-like-drama-music and pumped up with lots of dramatic scenes to make it seem more spectacular + silly deep speech even from Cal when she was young (that was also incredibly exagerated), the anime was really great and very enjoyable.
Honestly i want to give it a 9 or 8 for having so many **** ups, but it was so interesting and actually fun to watch i just have to give it a 10! Liked it really much, with all the **** scenes!

Somewhat prefer the alternate universe ending where Reiji sits in the car next to Cal. Oh well, was worth every second i spent to watch this, liked even the opening and ending themes! A must watch for everyone i say. ;th2

Who liked this show might also like GunGrave. It's also sort of same style, but a bit less dramatic ...

Josh wrote:(a Phantom IV perhaps?)

Those Zahlenschwestern were enumerated from 4 to 9. So more like Phantom X if you want to use the roman system for numbers. :lol:
But come on, a freaking country boy, country jeezer in his carriage being some super assassin. -.- LAME!
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Re: Phantom of The Requiem

Postby Demongod » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:36 am

More like if you cut out the last two episodes period.

"Gee, a teenage girl is bearing unimaginable pain because of me. Oh what to do, what to do? Oh, I know, indulge her fantasies and shoot her!"

-.-...

ALL HAIL THE BRILLIANCE!

As for that dream, that's actually (as far as I hear), one of the other endings from the visual novel. Hence that + "we just messed up somewhere, that's all"...

Is a tongue in cheek allusion to the visual novel.

Also as far as I hear, that sin-in-a-cart actually was something completely original to the anime (yeah, it shows...), with the original ending (The Cerulean Road, I believe it's called) ending just with the two of them smiling and looking up at the sky (ala same thing but no sin-in-a-cart).

Demongod

PreviousNext

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy