Postby sunbunman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Hydrogen fuel

Electrolise water to get the gas and look! everyting works :D

*trollface*
Falkow {Water | Fluidity = Elusion} ∈ Win
sunbunman

Re: The Energy Crisis

Postby azurewrath » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:13 pm

H2 is actually a viable solution granted we can get it stable. The moon is full of H2 apparently too. SOOOOO....START MINING THE MOOOOOOOOOOOON.
azurewrath

Postby GOSCAR » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Yup but it's a win-lose.
We get more energy but Zynga will create Moonville.
One does not play alteil the way they want. -Gon

False Slash- Rom
GOSCAR

Postby Romdeau » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:21 am

From a US perspective, hydrogen won't work. Spears, what alternative energy are you thinking of that we could use in a car? We're running out of natural gas at a similar rate to oil so that's out. Hydrogen is laughable, coal won't work, and yeah how about that nuclear energy in a car.

Hydrogen at this current time is infeasible because it's impossible to find naturally. To create hydrogen energy, we have to put in more energy to create it. Mining it off the moon...is that even realistic? I mean, come on really? Mining and transporting hydrogen back to Earth sounds like a fantasy to me. No amount of money or research will make the production of raw hydrogen any cheaper. Unless the laws of thermo dynamics change, it's an unrealistic option.

And then we have to deal with the reality that because hydrogen is extremely reactive, we'd have to completely re-construct the pipe infrastructure that is used to transport fossil fuels and natural gas. It's extremely reactive and corrosive. It takes about 1/10 the energy to react then gasoline-this **** is dangerous and not safe to be around on a daily basis. Fargone, where exactly would this patch of land be collected. The reaction would be NIMBY (not in my backyard) almost wherever you went. There is no such plot of land available to use on the Earth and you know it. Also, the amount of money it would take to construct (not to mention time) such a project is astronomical.

US agriculture is not threatened by water, we have huge reservoirs of water that are expected to last at least another century before being consumed. Energy will be the key issue.
Romdeau

Postby wakka9ca » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:28 am

Actually one of my friend is researching on splitting hydrogen from water in an efficient way...

It's also a shame US doesn't have great rivers with huge dams like in Quebec. As for cars, I honestly think public transit and not personal vehicle is the way to go in the future.
wakka9ca

Postby Romdeau » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 am

wakka9ca wrote:Actually one of my friend is researching on splitting hydrogen from water in an efficient way...

Even if a reasonable method is found, cars would still be obsolete because it's way too dangerous to use in automobiles. The pipe infrastructure would still cost hundreds of billions to switch over as well, in addition to the time it would take to swap.

And currently 10% of the energy used in the US is generated from dams. If we maximized and ignored environmental concerns, we could increase that number to 15%.
Romdeau

Postby imortal12233 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 am

I remember reading/seeing a video on electric cars that can run for a decent amount of time before needing to recharge.
Right now they aren't too long distance, only ~250km, but that's enough for most things.

Right now their only problem is that they aren't cost efficient to produce, and the price of oil is still low enough (relatively speaking) to make them impractical.

In other words, if we can find a general purpose energy solution, then it could also be applied to cars.
Needs a new sig, but haven't come up with one.
So here is a message about how I need a new sig but haven't come up with one :D
imortal12233

Postby wakka9ca » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 am

Romdeau wrote:
wakka9ca wrote:Actually one of my friend is researching on splitting hydrogen from water in an efficient way...

Even if a reasonable method is found, cars would still be obsolete because it's way too dangerous to use in automobiles. The pipe infrastructure would still cost hundreds of billions to switch over as well, in addition to the time it would take to swap.

And currently 10% of the energy used in the US is generated from dams. If we maximized and ignored environmental concerns, we could increase that number to 15%.

I really think personal cars should be obsolete. What we need is public transit and reduction of personal cars. Let's admit it: the use of personal car is the main waste of oil for transport. You can really save a lot if people stopped using their family car to go to work and used transit instead. Electric cars exists as well so it gives a bit more flexibility to convert other forms of energy...

For the big truck and transportation system... well once again, if everyone stop consuming like mad...

What we really need though is these future potentials:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power
wakka9ca

Postby sunbunman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:23 am

wakka9ca wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

The D-something (can't remember the name) sphere, there was a little passage on it in my physics textbook. Pure genius if we manage to pull it off. Still theoretical (doubt we'll pull it off for at least another millennium), but the general idea is to surround the sun the with solar panels and BOOM! energy crisis solved and whole new economy run by country owning the aforementioned sphere... yay for human nature! >.>
Falkow {Water | Fluidity = Elusion} ∈ Win
sunbunman

Postby nonpareil » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 am

Mengsk wrote:
wakka9ca wrote:
Romdeau wrote:But yes, when this hits there will probably be massive starvation because a lot of the world's current food production is dependent on cheap energy. Millions will probably die from mal nourishment.

Which is good. Overpopulation has always been an issue. Starvation = people dying = humans realizing something = possible advancements

You are a retard.

^
nonpareil

PreviousNext

Return to General Off Topic