Goodbye for now...

Goodbye for now...

Postby DanTheTimid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:43 pm

Those who know me know that as of the past few months myself and my family has gone through ALOT of financial troubles, reduced wages, lost jobs, forced relocation to get new jobs, things just keep piling on. Well things are reaching boiling point and savings are nearing a completely empty point and as such as of the start of the new year I will no longer be able to afford an internet connection (as a computer science major to be with out the internet just seems sooo wrong...). As it is, I and my family will probably be forced to live off ramen noodles for meals just to pay the rent, but even doing such there still isn't any money left over for an internet connection.

When I might be able to afford an internet connection again I can't say (anyone in the Arizona area need a computer scientist major or heck just a desperate 25 year old to do work for money?) but until then this obviously means I won't be able to roam these forums or play alteil anymore come the new year. As such I'd like to thank everyone, both GMs and players, who've made my time with Alteil a very enjoyable experience. Its a good game with good players and I truly wish it the best of luck in continuing to grow in my absence.

Its tough economic times, trust me I know this better then most (every potential employer I interview with seems to tell me the same thing, if I'd graduated 1 semester sooner they would have hired me in a heart beat, but in this economy there's not only less jobs available, but 5 times as many people looking for jobs do to all the lay offs and graduates like me unfortunately always lose out to layed off people who already have experience and thus require no training). In spite of these tough times though Alteil's free to play pricing model is perfect for this situation so I truly believe that whenever I may again gain access to the internet to check out alteil again, that it will have in fact flourished during these tough times when other games were dying and Alteil will have become a major player in the American online gaming market. Here's looking forward to that day!
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: Goodbye for now...

Postby Gota » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Take care dan =/

In the meantime, maybe go for some restaurant jobs, tips that come out under the table without taxing will probably come in very handy.

Good luck man.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby DanTheTimid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:05 pm

I really appreciate it, thanks Gota. Incidentally, while I am looking into pretty much anything right now including busing tables, I have found since I graduated that these type of jobs don't' seem to be calling me back like they used to. Maybe its the economy and there's just more competition for the job, but if I had to guess I think the fact I graduated is actually intimidating them, making them worry they'll spend a week training me then a week later I get an actual computer science job and jump ship... which I can't deny I would probably do if a computer science job did come my way so the fear isn't totally unfounded. In any case I still plan to keep looking and applying everywhere I can. I still have till the end of the month to find something before the internet is officially gone, though if I'm making minimum wage I'm not sure that internet will be the first thing the new income goes toward, people can persist on ramen noodles for every meal for only so long. On the other hand though the internet is where I find most of my computer science jobs listings I apply to every week so its a pretty nice thing to have beyond just for games like Alteil.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Grain » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Our collective heart goes out to you, DanTheTimid.
Grain

Postby Romdeau » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:41 pm

I'll miss you and your Behemoth sized posts :P

We'll save a seat for ya. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.
Romdeau

Postby Gota » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:59 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:I really appreciate it, thanks Gota. Incidentally, while I am looking into pretty much anything right now including busing tables, I have found since I graduated that these type of jobs don't' seem to be calling me back like they used to. Maybe its the economy and there's just more competition for the job, but if I had to guess I think the fact I graduated is actually intimidating them, making them worry they'll spend a week training me then a week later I get an actual computer science job and jump ship... which I can't deny I would probably do if a computer science job did come my way so the fear isn't totally unfounded. In any case I still plan to keep looking and applying everywhere I can. I still have till the end of the month to find something before the internet is officially gone, though if I'm making minimum wage I'm not sure that internet will be the first thing the new income goes toward, people can persist on ramen noodles for every meal for only so long. On the other hand though the internet is where I find most of my computer science jobs listings I apply to every week so its a pretty nice thing to have beyond just for games like Alteil.

Do you have any library or anything near you? You can always use those to get online and check the job listings. Internet is really not something you should be spending your money on, take care of your body first, always. So food and shelter always comes first. I know you can tell where your priorities are, so I won't say much more or it'll sound like a nuisance, so best of luck to you and your family!
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Porky » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Farewell Dan=( Goodluck in your endeavors and lets hope you find a proper job soon.
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:55 pm

Just keep your head up as long as you are alive you can just say "**** the world" and just keep on going! At least that's my theory.

Anyways, i remember when some teachers from America came over to my school (for a change of expierence or something like that) and asked what our life's dreams are ... well i said something random that i didnt belive in anyways, but then i remember them saying that in America when they try to accomplish something they just do it! I mean they give it their best shot and many of them manage to succeed, at least that's what i heard. So if that was true, don't lose your american spirit! :P

Best luck with your plans for the future and give them all a try!!
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:44 pm

Again, thank you everyone, we're still looking to all sorts of options for living situations changes and jobs so this post may have been a little premature, its not 100% that I won't find a way to get enough funds together to afford internet, but since as things stand now I still won't have internet come the new year I'm glad I made this post so that there wouldn't be any confusion as to what happened to me if I suddenly disappear, as well as so I could read peoples good bye messages while I still have internet.

Even if I do lose internet, while I may not be able to play alteil, and I certainly won't be able to frequent these forums like I used to, on occasion I may just have to take my notebook and try and find a free wifi zone to check up on whats happening on the forums and maybe throw out one of my signature "behemoth sized posts" Rom apparently enjoyed ;)
DanTheTimid

Postby edgarfigaro » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:49 pm

We'll all miss ya Dan.
"what on earth did you just say? did someone nerf your keyboard?" ~Spears
I feel that way all the time Spears, all the time.
edgarfigaro

Next

Return to General Off Topic