Goodbye for now...

Re: Goodbye for now...

Postby Logress » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Good luck, man. My best bud just finally escaped a two year stint in unemployed land. He lived in vermont so it was an hour to the library to use the internet. Maybe if Alteil keeps growing we can start hiring more people next year...
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Well after lots of job hunting and budget work it appears it may not be long after I lose the internet that I once again get it back. It will not be my current high speed connection but rather a lower quality lower speed one (still better then dialup), and while I fear the lag and disconnects it may bring me, I'm still happy that I shouldn't be gone from the game for too long.

Its still not guaranteed I'll get it, nor am I sure when I'll get it, but it does seem likely at this point that I will be getting it, probably early January, so figured I'd let everyone know.

Incase anyones wondering I have not gotten a job (haven't even gotten a call back at any of the local minimum wage jobs I applied too...), we just made some more cut backs on the budget since internet is pretty important for many things these days and we found a connection that was more affordable then the current one. Of course theres still alot of big what ifs to resolve so getting internet is on the bottom of our priority list, but it has been put on the list atleast.

Also worth noting, seeing as EVERY computer science job I've applied for, even internships, have had me competing with atleast 20+ laid off workers from other local places with much more experience then me I think I'm going to shift my focus from software engineering/programming to instead getting a substitute teaching job. Getting a substitute teaching position requires a bachelors degree and dang nabit I worked hard for this degree, I'm going to use it for something, even if it wasn't what I initially intended. We'll see how this turns out, but on the bright side I haven't heard of any teacher lay offs in my area.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Romdeau » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:22 am

Dang nabit.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear you're still gonna be around.
Romdeau

Postby lupos » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Has the possibility of connection sharing come up? I'm not sure exactly what your neighborhood situation is but a nice wireless router plus 3 houses sharing one connection (with connection in the center house of course) = 1/3 the price. Illegal? maybe. Chance of getting caught? None existent.

Desperate times eh?

Either way, glad to hear you'll be around for the time being.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Lupos, it actually is something I've considered. In any case... I'm officially back.

Yeah, not much of an absence. The new connection so far seems very... unstable. I'll be surfing websites and all of a sudden a page won't load cause it can't find the internet and I have to reload... pretty weird stuff I'm not used to. Speed wise its getting the job done for web page navigation but I'm pretty afraid to try anything like an FPS that actually makes significant use of the bandwidth. Still I'm not going to complain, a month ago I didn't think I'd even have internet at all, this is way better then nothing.

Oh and GMs, yeah your probably going to see me coming from a new IP address but I assure you I didn't sell the account, its still me using it, feel free to challenge me to a GM battle some time if you want to confirm ;)
Though don't be surprised if I end up getting dropped before the battle ends... :cry:

In other news (hey this is the off topic section), as of the second of January, I'm now married! Obviously with our financial situations the wedding was little more then us walking into a court room and having a judge marry us with only our immediate family in attendance, and the honey moon consisted of moving into our new budget apartment and spending our first night there. Although I worry that my significant other is a little unhappy with living in such a small and some what noisy place, this is the safest place I could find within our budget which was my main concern in finding a budget apartment. We don't get local tv let alone cable and I've already bought a big case of Top Ramen for meals, but I think we're going to be able to get by until I can find a job so I'm pretty optimistic about our situation and the future now.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Grain » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:52 pm

That's sweet.

What state did you get married in?
Grain

Postby lupos » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:05 am

Grain wrote:That's sweet.

What state did you get married in?

I'd guess pheonix AZ based on his info listed under his Avatar. But that might not be up to date :P

Also Dan, if you are in the phoenix AZ area, you ever here of chatter box video game radio?
My friend Alon is the host. Only actual broadcast FM video game show in the country I believe. It's also available for streaming on allgames.com

If you're new to the site check out All games interactive with my good friend lawrence "mayor" young, and the bobby blackwolf show. Bobby B isn't the most charismatic show host in the world but he's very honest and genuine so I enjoy his show the most. Shh ;)
/derail
/plug
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Gota » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:07 am

ooooo congratz dan! =D
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:18 am

Thank you for the congrats and support!

Well its true some of my immediate family have recently (as in on the 3rd, stayed for my wedding) moved out of state do to their financial/job situations, however I personally am still at least in Arizona, just not technically phoenix anymore. Glendale however is the home of our hockey and football team (Woo Cardinals played in and won their first home play off game in over 60 years!) stadiums and from my new apartment I'm just a hop skip and a bike ride away from Phoenix (and Peoria as well, but really, what do they have, so who cares?). The only thing I don't like about Glendale is that theres one in California too and that one tends to be the one people think of when I tell them I'm in Glendale now (that and Glendale doesn't have a ton of hp and revive for 3sp whenever closed like Phoenix does).

Anyway, what FM channel is that broad cast on, I'm fairly certain I get the same radio programs that I used to when I was in Phoenix (I'm like a 15 minute drive away from my old home) and it sounds pretty interesting.
DanTheTimid

Postby lupos » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:56 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:Anyway, what FM channel is that broad cast on, I'm fairly certain I get the same radio programs that I used to when I was in Phoenix (I'm like a 15 minute drive away from my old home) and it sounds pretty interesting.

http://www.allgames.com/radio/chatterbox/
http://www.chatterboxgameshow.com/
It's wednesday at 8:30pm, I think, an 1100 am. I thought it was FM. Apparently still the only "terrestrial" video game radio show in the country.
lupos
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Off Topic