In memory of Maurice Sendak

In memory of Maurice Sendak

Postby Shirozaki » Fri May 11, 2012 9:00 am

For everyone not aware who the man mentioned is; he is an (or rather THE) american Child book author and illustrator who came up with works including but not limited to "Where the Wild Things Are" and "In the Night Kitchen", which have both been censored and enjoyed by children and adults all over the world alike.

I myself have grown up with his Where the Wild Things Are book, and was sad to read that he has passed on on 8th May 2012. This in itself is not enough to bother you with my sorrow, but former Alteil Staff member AnnaTheRed has posted her condolences on her blog, along with pictures of one of her infamous Bentos from three years ago, picturing several characters from Where the Wild Things Are.

Said post can be found here.

With that in mind, rest in peace Maurice.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Re: In memory of Maurice Sendak

Postby Godric » Sat May 12, 2012 8:20 am

Wow, I mostly remember "Where the Wild Things Are", I used to love that book as a kid. I don't think I ever saw "In the Night Kitchen" as a book, but I remember I had it as a video, Might even still have it around somewhere.
Pity to hear he's gone, his work gave me a number of happy childhood memories.
[shameless link] I can still claim I'm a free player cause I haven't spent any of my money on the game, but instead I used Prizerebel to get my EX packs. Gran Train = viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11761
Image[/shameless link]
Godric

Postby fargone » Tue May 15, 2012 4:54 pm

I aslo grew up with "Where the Wild Things Are." It was a truly magical book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading many times when I first started primary school. I remember being captivated by the artwork and story.

Sadly, I never got to read "In the Night Kitchen" due to the controversy rapped around the book. I say sadly, because the issues put forward relating to the illustrations more than the story are adult issues, and don't impact on children.

Rest In Peace Maurice Sendak.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby wakka9ca » Tue May 15, 2012 5:33 pm

fargone wrote:Sadly, I never got to read "In the Night Kitchen" due to the controversy rapped around the book. I say sadly, because the issues put forward relating to the illustrations more than the story are adult issues, and don't impact on children.

Indeed. As a child, running around naked is really nothing too unusual imho. In fact, it's a reality in many countries. A lot of people grew up like that. Alas, the so-called civilized world disagrees. Adults see things they want (or do not want) to see in the most mundane things.
wakka9ca

Return to General Off Topic