Black Wednesday For Dog Owners

Black Wednesday For Dog Owners

Postby Grain » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:52 pm

This is a copy paste. I'd thought I'd try the long post thing myself for once.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Animal Rights Wins In Dallas, California, Pennsylvania

by JOHN YATES
American Sporting Dog Alliance
http://www.americansportingdogalliance.org
asda@csonline.net

Wednesday was a black day for dog owners all across America, as animal rights extremists posted legislative victories in Dallas, California and Pennsylvania.

Dog owner advocacy groups fought hard in all three contests and had clear majority support, but animal rights groups such as People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the Humane Society of the United
States cashed in political chips with elected officials.

PETA and HSUS have been infiltrating local and state advisory boards for many years, backed by a war chest exceeding $150 million, hundreds of paid employees and thousands of volunteers.

Apathy remains th greatest problem faced by dog ownership advocacy groups.

Wednesday's votes also highlighted what is rapidly becoming a partisan division on animal rights legislation. In general, almost all Republicans voted against the legislation, and almost all Democrats voted for the bills. The Democratic Party appears to be lining up behind the animal rights agenda in support of its presumptive presidential candidate, Barrack Obama. Obama has expressed strong support for animal rights.

Here is a summary of the four issues decided this week:

In Dallas, City Council voted 10-3 to pass an animal control ordinance requiring mandatory pet sterilization, expensive permits to own intact dogs and cats, mandatory microchipping and pet ownership limits. The ordinance also bans tethering of dogs and imposes strict requirements for keeping dogs outdoors. Home inspections also are authorized.

In California, the Senate Local Government Committee voted 3-2 to approve AB1634, which now will be sent to the Senate Appropriations Committee. If this committee approves, it will be sent to the legislature for a vote. This bill allows any person to act as a vigilante and report any dog owner for an unsubstantiated violation of any animal law. If any animal control officer agrees, the accused person will have a choice between paying a fine or sterilizing the animal. People who are accused of anything have no right to efend themselves or to appeal. An accusation is automatic guilt.

In Pennsylvania, the House Rules Committee voted Tuesday to approve HB2532, which is a de facto ban on tail docking, dewclaw removal and ear cropping. In the absence of proof that the procedure was performed by a veterinarian, the mere possession of a dog that has had one of those three procedures subjects an owner to a criminal citation for animal cruelty. This bill would destroy many rescue operations, dog shows, competitive events and field trials in Pennsylvania and result in the deaths of thousands of dogs. This bill now goes to the full House for a vote, and then to the Senate.

Also in Pennsylvania, the House Agriculture Committee approved amendments to the state dog and kennel law that fall short of changes that were promised to dog owner advocacy groups. The actual text of this legislation was not available at this writing, and a follow-up report will be issued when the revised legislation is available. This bill now goes to the full House for a vote, and then to the Senate.
Grain

Re: Black Wednesday For Dog Owners

Postby erestor » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:45 pm

that is just whack
gosh darn bloody peta; they have there own agenda
peta would fire bomb an animal testing lab for there own selfish wants
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:16 pm

I don't really understand why any of this is bad for dog owners... atleast ones that aren't mistreating there pets.

The Dallas oridance is just requiring dogs be spayed and neutered which is pretty common practice and I'm guessing the fact it got passed was because that particular area was suffering from pet over population because too many negligent owners don't spay or neuter their pet and then often leave it some where un-attended. That bit about mandatory microchipping sounds a little strange but I don't really know what thats all about. As for the stricter rules on keeping dogs outside... they really are needed, I see so many dogs who are left outside in an abusive fashion. Especially in an area like Dallas where it gets so hot you really need to take extra precautions if you want to keep a dog outside or you will be hurting the dog.

The California oridance help report animal mistreatment, I don't see the issue with that. It makes it sound like your guilty if anyone accuses you but if you fully read it, an animal control officer has to inspect the situation and agree that mistreatment is going on. So yeah, unless your mistreating your animal I don't see how this is going to negatively effect you as a pet owner.

The Pennsylvania ordiance involves dogs who are being mistreated for dog shows. I don't know about you but I wouldn't like it if some one cut off a chunk of my ear or part of my finger just so I could win some stupid beauty contest for them. Or maybe a better example is if one day you woke up to find yourself strapped down and some one was punching a hole in your tongue to give you a tongue ring. Whether you think tongue rings are cool or not I don't know about you but I don't want anyone punching holes in me unless I give them permission first, and dogs can't give permission. People who do those sort of things ARE committing animal cruelty in my book.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Kyoshi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:06 pm

The problem with th California one is even if your dog isn't bad and he animal control officer agrees your guilty. And then the question is "sterilized" if it does mean spayed and your animal already was then what? And not to mention criminals can then sue because they were attacked by vicious animals and use this law to help them. Many criminals can sue the victim if they get hurt on the property of said victim.

Now the Pennsylvania thing is more of causing an act of cruelty more the preventing a major one. I'm sorry dog shows have been going on for ages. The dogs are treated better then some people are. Just look at well maintained and pampered these dogs are? These people pour their money into these animals for pampering these pets and your saying they endure these cruelties? I'm sorry but if getting my ears pierced in return of complete pampering like these animals get I wouldn't mind. And usually is done when they are young puppies so they grow up with it like that. Just like if you were to be given hormones your whole life to make you grow faster. You wouldn't know the difference.

And by what you said about no consent/permission, Surgeries require consent(if I'm correct) and animals can't give it so should we let the animal die?
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:33 pm

For the record I'm not saying I completely agree with all these things, they just don't sound all that awful to me. Obviously I'd feel different if I entered my dogs in dog shows. I don't know the details of what really goes on at dog shows to know how well or not well they're being treated so I can't really get into argument for or against them.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Kyoshi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:38 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:For the record I'm not saying I completely agree with all these things, they just don't sound all that awful to me. Obviously I'd feel different if I entered my dogs in dog shows. I don't know the details of what really goes on at dog shows to know how well or not well they're being treated so I can't really get into argument for or against them.

Sorry about that, Wasn't trying to attack what you said. If that is what you thought. I was just stating my opinion and if anything it is amazing how much people pay into their dogs for the shows.

Also the Dallas thing is slightly ridiculous for the having to pay more money just to own a dog that hasn't been spayed. Because dog breeders would get hit hard with that. Can't breed a spayed dogs... The microchipping to keep track of the dog if it runs away is nice but a weird concept.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Return to General Off Topic