Critique please? - hit me plenty!

Critique please? - hit me plenty!

Postby Peralisc9001 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 pm

I was told that my recent short story I sent to a contest is too heavy on profanity and gore. I just can't see the part where I went overboard. But if you can, then please let me know.

http://www.Writing.Com/main/view_item/i ... n-the-Edge

Maybe I'm too used to stories like gantz and beserk, where gore is natural.
The judge stopped reading at the barmaid part. I'm unable to see the bad bit. :(

I hope linking the story is alright. If it's not, then feel free to remove it!
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Re: Critique please? - hit me plenty!

Postby InfernityFan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:24 pm

How tolerant is the judge you were referring to towards gore? Depending on him, the gory bit might be a bit too descriptive like this sentence for example:

That small sharp pin of a knife pierced to his eye, into his brain.

I personally don't think it's overboard. Still, If you compare it to the likes of Gantz/Berserk, the gore is relatively normal. But you balance it out by not writing too much of the gory scenes, usually only in one sentence or two. On the other hand, the story you wrote sets in a medieval era setting, so that level of gore in your story should have been expected, unless you are talking about the disney medieval setting... By the way, Gantz/Berserk is still relatively tame compared to, say, Saya no Uta and Gore Screaming Show. Though that's why you won't find them outside of visual novel scenes.

Also, Urgrait, really? Why does it suspiciously sounds like Ugrant... Maybe it's the backstory of Urgrant you are writing about :P
My VN Blog
Currently Playing : Harukuru, welcome to the Kyaya Ufufu land, hehehe...
InfernityFan

Postby Peralisc9001 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:42 pm

It's a joke:
You great - u great , grayt - thus ugrait

You can extend it to urgant I guess. He's a knight too.

The Voice guy is actually a character from a game of which I still have just the outline for put on paper. It would be an npc.

Thx for reply and opinion. If you really think it was that mild then I can only guess the judge has other preferences.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
Peralisc9001

Postby Muklas » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 pm

The gore in Gantz is more for comedy than anything else.
Ha ha, I'm using the shaving foams!
Muklas

Postby Peralisc9001 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Oh here's a comment from the judge. Maybe someone can clarify:

I dint read through the whole thing. It was the scen where the main character walked into town and he and his long lost friend were have drinks in the tavern. It was the frined's language (thoughts). One was in reference to the barnaid's shape. I didn't make it past this setting.
~ Retired ~
Peralisc9001

Postby methebest » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:01 pm

judge sounds like a noob
i apologise for any incomprehensible posts as i tend to make them
methebest

Postby InfernityFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Peralisc9001 wrote:Oh here's a comment from the judge. Maybe someone can clarify:

I dint read through the whole thing. It was the scen where the main character walked into town and he and his long lost friend were have drinks in the tavern. It was the frined's language (thoughts). One was in reference to the barnaid's shape. I didn't make it past this setting.

Maybe this:

It just didn’t want to show itself anywhere they stared. No matter how large they were opening their eyes. But what they could see was the waitress’ nicely shaped rounded ****.

And I agree with methebest, even his review has a lot of misspelling, asking grammar naz* to knock his door :lol:
My VN Blog
Currently Playing : Harukuru, welcome to the Kyaya Ufufu land, hehehe...
InfernityFan

Postby Peralisc9001 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 am

That's some really retarded opinion.

Need a different site for writing contests or to publish random stuff.
~ Retired ~
Peralisc9001

Return to General Off Topic