MSG - Slowly Poisioning America

Re: MSG - Slowly Poisioning America

Postby Rad!oZonde » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:19 pm

This reminded me of a Cibo Matto song I was trying so hard to get out of my hand.

Extra Sugar!
Extra Salt!
Extra Oil and MSG!

Anyway very odd subject. Everyone is boosting about how their food has no MSG in it [yet it is still fattening]. So my guess is that it might not just be the MSG that is causing obesity.
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby Grain » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Rad!oZonde wrote:This reminded me of a Cibo Matto song I was trying so hard to get out of my hand.

Extra Sugar!
Extra Salt!
Extra Oil and MSG!

Anyway very odd subject. Everyone is boosting about how their food has no MSG in it [yet it is still fattening]. So my guess is that it might not just be the MSG that is causing obesity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlCgLfEB ... re=related

That was my cousin's first Xbox game.

As for wikipedia:

Ethnic groups

German-speakers 92%, recognized minorities include Slovene- Hungarian-,
Czech-, Slovak-, and Croatian-Speakers 4%, Turks 1.6%,
other or unspecified 2.4% (2001 census)

Austria also has a 98% literacy rate.

Next, I'll have to find out how abundant MSG is in Austrian food.

I'm convinced that MSG is nothing more than a wondrous flavor magnificentation creater.
Grain

Postby Gota » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:12 pm

Fun fact: MSG actually tastes bitter by itself for all of you that do not know =D
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Grain » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:25 pm

Gota wrote:Fun fact: MSG actually tastes bitter by itself for all of you that do not know =D

I just read something that said MSG is tasteless. You'll need to cite your sources, Gota.
Grain

Postby Gota » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Sources was from my tongue :/

I put a spoonful of that stuff in my mouth and it was bitter. Though it could have been that I was having some other stuff earlier in the restaurant too, so .... :D
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Narcissist » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:38 am

Some brands cut MSG together with salt, like Aji no Moto. That's where the bitterness would come from I'd think, Gota. MSG isn't tasteless either, I've tasted pure MSG and it's kind of like beef stock, except a little more pungent. I don't generally like to having refined MSG in my food, but that's because I consider it to be the lazy way out. There are plenty of things you can add to produce umami, refined glutamic acid just happens to be really, really cheap. I don't buy into the MSG-scapegoating though. To be honest, whenever I hear people lay blame on MSG for (insert physiological problem here), I think to myself, "Seriously, it's the MSG? Look at how you live. Is MSG honestly the first of your concerns?"

What's especially funny is when people worry about MSG being added to their Chinese/other Asian foods. Considering the massive amounts of MSG per volume that come naturally in laver, kelp, and any kind of fermented soy, especially soy sauce and black beans. Somehow us East Asians manage to stay alive. I think that when people go to (American) Chinese restaurants, it's not the MSG screwing with their bodies. It's the gallons of corn syrup in their ketchup-based sweet and sour sauce and Crisco dripping off their chicken.
Narcissist

Previous

Return to General Off Topic