Books

Re: Books

Postby Sarkath » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:15 am

I am reading the saga "A song of ice and fire" written by George R R Martin.
At the current moment, reading the third volume. I simply love this whole thing, kinda slow but how the story is weaved together from several important individuals perspective is simply great, and interesting.

And also some tales collections of H.P Lovecraft. Seriously, that guy writes like a god in my opinion, the first time I read some of his tales I was simply overwhelmed by the style of describing things. To fill such a short sentence with many advanced and complex meaningful and strong words in a very good way that simply makes you "wow" when you read it through. I just love lovecraft's style...

Might have to pick up some collections of Edgar Allan Poe as well.
Sarkath out. :ugeek:
Sarkath

Postby Thespi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Books... my first love of my life.... *L*

I don't remember a time of not being able to read... My collection spans Science Fiction, Fantasy, Trivia, Historical Fiction, Manga and a few Adventure and Mysteries...

My favorite authors (in no particular order): Mercedes Lackey, Tanya Huff, David Weber, Tamora Pierce, and Elizabeth Moon.

I must admit, I do tend towards books with female protagonists.... Enjoy a good bit of humor, too... like what David Eddings did in his "Belgariad" series... great characters...

"Classics" I love... Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night", L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" series, C.S. Lewis' "Narnia" Chronicles, John Christopher's "White Mountains" trilogy, Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities".... just to name a few...

Books are great because you can take them practically anywhere and if a spare moment arises, you have something to do/read and you don't look like your aimlessly loitering or whatever...
And, in the process, you might learn something... :)
"A Lady should be more elegant," - Lumiere (Kiddy Grade)
Thespi

Postby Fatherwolf » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:12 am

I think nobody here mentined the story of chicago only practicing wizard,
Thedreden file by Jim Butcher, love all 10 books.

Harray Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, cojure i't at your own risk.
but hey, he in the phonebook.
I am more terrified of light that leave no shadow then of darkness i't self.
Fatherwolf

Postby Osterzone » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:10 pm

Sarkath wrote:I am reading the saga "A song of ice and fire" written by George R R Martin.
At the current moment, reading the third volume. I simply love this whole thing, kinda slow but how the story is weaved together from several important individuals perspective is simply great, and interesting.

And also some tales collections of H.P Lovecraft. Seriously, that guy writes like a god in my opinion, the first time I read some of his tales I was simply overwhelmed by the style of describing things. To fill such a short sentence with many advanced and complex meaningful and strong words in a very good way that simply makes you "wow" when you read it through. I just love lovecraft's style...

Right on, brother! I've actually been reading the exact same combo of things lately. Well, the Song of Fire and Ice I actually did more of with audio books, but it is still awesome. I especially like how magic was so slowly introduced into the series, it's never cheesy or seems out of place. Tyrion is my favorite character.

Oh, by the way, did you know they are making an HBO special about it? http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

As for Lovecraft, I got into him after my friends Rym and Scott told me about it. I just read a few of the short stories including "The Thing on the Doorstep." I feel like the guy writes a little over my head at times, but when you sit and think about what he said after you read it, you get sucked into some crazy thoughts...crazy, scary thoughts.
See the power of the science!
Osterzone

Postby MeleeNewb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:56 am

Just finished Neuromancer, The Snow Queen, and Pest Control while traveling to go congress, and then to otakon and back. Great books. Pest Control was hilarious, couldn't put it down, and I think I scared the old lady who was sitting next to me on the plane because I was laughing so hard. The Snow Queen is great for traveling. It's long, addictive, and keeps a good pace all the way through. And Neuromancer is just a classic. Anyone else read these?
I used to wonder if I was crazy, but all that uncertainty drove me insane.
MeleeNewb

Previous

Return to General Off Topic