Trolls & Spamming

Trolls & Spamming

Postby Grain » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:52 pm

Am I the only one who fears the forums may get a lot of trolls once it goes live?

Does Alteil block IP adresses or just accounts?

-Grain
Grain

Re: Trolls & Spamming

Postby Akjeil » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:11 am

Grain wrote:Am I the only one who fears the forums may get a lot of trolls once it goes live?

Does Alteil block IP adresses or just accounts?

-Grain

If you ask me, they should block SP and LP.
:lol:
Akjeil

Postby Akjeil » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:20 am

Grain wrote:Am I the only one who fears the forums may get a lot of trolls once it goes live?

-Grain

Hey, Grain, btw, what are trolls and lurkers? (I assumed it was something similar to spammers, but realized I could be wrong...)

-Akjeil the Amateur Whoooosh!-summoner
;a38
"A rabbit made from candy > candy made from a rabbit."
-Important Things With Demetri Martin, "Games: Greater than/ Equal to"
Akjeil

Postby Exanthem » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:43 am

akjeil wrote:

-Grain

Hey, Grain, btw, what are trolls and lurkers? (I assumed it was something similar to spammers, but realized I could be wrong...)

-Akjeil the Amateur Whoooosh!-summoner
;a38

Trolls=someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion. -wikipedia

Lurkers=people who just watch/read the forums and don't post. They just "lurk" around the forum.
Exanthem

Postby Akjeil » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Trolls=someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion. -wikipedia

Lurkers=people who just watch/read the forums and don't post. They just "lurk" around the forum.

Thanx, Exanthem. My wisdom grows yet another cubit...

Akjeil the Shape-Shifter
;a39
Akjeil

Postby Grain » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:57 pm

akjeil wrote:-Akjeil the Amateur Whoooosh!-summoner

It seems like I have a fan.

-Grain
Grain

Postby Kyoshi » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Why are "lurkers" a problem?
We all are lurkers at one point especially when we browse the forum looking for somewhere to talk and such. I don't see it as a problem they aren't going around starting fights or anything.
"Trolls" on the other hand you can just ignore. Easy as that. And if they start really start bothering you then alert the admins.
;a39
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby Grain » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 pm

Kyoshi wrote:Why are "lurkers" a problem?
We all are lurkers at one point especially when we browse the forum looking for somewhere to talk and such. I don't see it as a problem they aren't going around starting fights or anything.
"Trolls" on the other hand you can just ignore. Easy as that. And if they start really start bothering you then alert the admins.
;a39

Good afternoon Kyoshi.

I've never said lurkers were a problem.

I've said that they annoy me :lol: But that isn't their fault.

-Grain
Grain

Postby Kyoshi » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Grain wrote:
Kyoshi wrote:Why are "lurkers" a problem?
;a39

Good afternoon Kyoshi.

I've never said lurkers were a problem.

I've said that they annoy me :lol: But that isn't their fault.

-Grain

Good Afternoon to you too, Grain.

I noticed after my post that lurkers were just defined and not the main focus. But instead of retracting what I said I decided to leave it. But yes I agree they can be annoying but your always gonna have them, plus they won't post so you won't know who they are. :o

But yes they can't help being themselves I guess. :lol:
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Kyoshi wrote:Good Afternoon to you too, Grain.

I noticed after my post that lurkers were just defined and not the main focus. But instead of retracting what I said I decided to leave it. But yes I agree they can be annoying but your always gonna have them, plus they won't post so you won't know who they are. :o

But yes they can't help being themselves I guess. :lol:

Actually you can know who they are if they login since it shows you the names of any logged in users. For instance at the time of this posting annathered, cactaur, Cyd, DanTheTimid, DWildstar, Grain, GunCastor, Kyoshi are logged in. Now non-logged in guest users, those you can't figure out.

But regardless I don't mind lurkers at all, don't even annoy me, if you ask me they're just doing a good job of sticking to the old proverb "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all". Better that people lurk and do searches to find their answers rather then post questions that have already been answered a million times before if they'd just look around a bit.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Next

Return to General Off Topic