Lurkers

Re: Lurkers

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:53 pm

BusterSlash wrote:i dont post cause i dont really have anything to add to the threads ;a33

Personally I appreciate that very much. Too many people post just for the sake of posting and clog up the forums with useless junk thats already been asked and answered, or just doesn't need to be there and makes it harder to find the actually useful stuff. If a threads been concluded you let it die, no need to keep bumping it just to get ones post count up. Heck I've seen many forums disable post count just because it causes bad reactions in good people, they become obsessed with upping their post count even if their posts are completely unnecessary. I'm not saying I'm against keeping track of post count though, its always interesting to see, but I don't think people should use it as a motivator to post for no good reason.

I'm always curious on various forums how the mods feel about this, especially polite gesture posts. For example, every time a mod answers one of my questions in my threads I'm always tempted to respond, either in the post or via PM, with a thank you post. Usually however I refrain because the post doesn't really add anything to the thread and I'm sure the mods get enough pointless PMs to deal with as it is.

I do however feel that in off topic forums theres a bit more leeway for meaningless posts since people are not likely going to need to search through here for anything important to the game anyway. I still generally refrain from doing it, but I don't mind seeing others do it as much as I do when I see waste posts in the main forum area.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Kyoshi » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm sorry Dan if I've ever left a waste post for you to read. :?
Tis unintentional if I did.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Kyoshi wrote:I'm sorry Dan if I've ever left a waste post for you to read. :?

Off hand the only waste posts I can think of on this forum have been in the off topic forum where, as I said, I don't have any issue with them. Theres nothing wrong with asking questions or making on topic comments, its just some people will post things that don't add anything at all to topics just to feel like they're part of the crowd and some people will neglect to search for old topics that already answered their question before asking questions.

I'm sure we'll get posters like that eventually though, its just the nature of a popular game, and I've got a pretty good feeling this game will become popular. Right now we're still in the early stages where most of the soon to be common questions probably haven't even been asked for the first time yet.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Grain » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Don't feel embarrassed.

DanTheTimid has a candid style of speaking that may seem intimidating to skimmers if they don't absorb everything said.

DanTheTimid doesn't seem like an angry person.

-Grain
Grain

Postby Kyoshi » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Grain wrote:

Don't feel embarrassed.

DanTheTimid has a candid style of speaking that may seem intimidating to skimmers if they don't absorb everything said.

DanTheTimid doesn't seem like an angry person.

-Grain

To be honest I understand everything coming from DanTheTimid's typed speech. I just like playing the fool sometimes. But I do apologize if I ever seem to be annoying at points. And yes he could be intimidating to those who skim just because the length of his posts scare normal posters.

And I totally agree with Dan, once the game hits beta the forums will start to flood and the posts will increase enormously as the games popularity increases. Along with an abnormal increase with posts no one will understand because it will be in gibberish.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Re: posts in gibberish

Postby Akjeil » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:58 am

Kyoshi wrote:...once the game hits beta the forums will start to flood and the posts will increase enormously as the games popularity increases. Along with an abnormal increase with posts no one will understand because it will be in gibberish.

How does one deal with that?

-in-Timid-ated Akjeil
"A rabbit made from candy > candy made from a rabbit."
-Important Things With Demetri Martin, "Games: Greater than/ Equal to"
Akjeil

Postby GunCastor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:10 am

You tell them to spell and use grammar correctly or else nobody will be able to understand them. This will bring the topic creator in to a fierce rage where he/she will whine that no one is helpful and say that grammar shouldn't matter because this is not on school grounds. Well, that's what happens on some of the other forums I used to go to. Let us hope it will not happen here.
GunCastor

Postby Grain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 am

GunCastor wrote:You tell them to spell and use grammar correctly or else nobody will be able to understand them. This will bring the topic creator in to a fierce rage where he/she will whine that no one is helpful and say that grammar shouldn't matter because this is not on school grounds. Well, that's what happens on some of the other forums I used to go to. Let us hope it will not happen here.

Hahaha!

Yes, lets not.

If it does happen, you'll all probably all slowly lose your sanity like I did when I first became active on a troll forum.

-Grain
Grain

Postby Chronomaster » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:43 am

The phenomenon of lurkers is probably due more to web spiders than just lax users.

But if I don't post, it's because I'm at a loss of anything to add.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Kyoshi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:13 pm

chronomaster wrote:The phenomenon of lurkers is probably due more to web spiders than just lax users.

But if I don't post, it's because I'm at a loss of anything to add.

And by web spiders you mean?
Sorry terms can mean many things and I would like to clear up this so I can understand it better.
alpha428
Kyoshi

PreviousNext

Return to General Off Topic