Lurkers

Re: Lurkers

Postby erestor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Kyoshi wrote:
chronomaster wrote:The phenomenon of lurkers is probably due more to web spiders than just lax users.

But if I don't post, it's because I'm at a loss of anything to add.

And by web spiders you mean?
Sorry terms can mean many things and I would like to clear up this so I can understand it better.

i think chrono means people that sit in a forum without posting until they see something and jump on it like a spider.
they do this for there own self satisfaction
but i have never been one to know all these terms and phrases

google here i come
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

Postby reydien » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:24 pm

unless I'm mistaken, spiders, aka crawlers, are automated programs that surf the internet in order to cache web pages. They are most commonly used for search engines such as Google or Yahoo. I know I have seen the Yahoo [Bot] on the forums on more than one occasion.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:28 pm

Actually what I believe he's referring to is whats more commonly known as a web crawler. Its a computer program which browses the web, usually for the purpose of collecting information and often creating copies of the pages it crawls through. Since its a computer and not an actual person it will always show up as a guest on forums its crawling through, thus creating the illusion that there are more lurkers then there really are.

Edit: And Reydien beat me too it, that'll teach me to write so many words, but yeah, the fact Reydien agrees with me just furthers my belief that that is what chrono was referring too.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Chronomaster » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Last two are correct. Spiders scour the net for searching purposes. And we call them SPIDERS.

Normally I'd blame the South on this one, but being that I know Dan isn't from there, I unfortunately can't.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Kyoshi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:16 pm

I guess I don't understand the purpose of even having these crawlers then. Unless people are seriously that bored out of their minds to just have something looking for certain keywords in anything and everything on the whole entire web... that is if I'm collecting the right information from what was said. Well looking for certain info while caching everything.
And thanks for the info.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby Chronomaster » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:58 pm

Kyoshi wrote:I guess I don't understand the purpose of even having these crawlers then. Unless people are seriously that bored out of their minds to just have something looking for certain keywords in anything and everything on the whole entire web... that is if I'm collecting the right information from what was said. Well looking for certain info while caching everything.
And thanks for the info.

Dude, do you have any idea what Google is?
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Kyoshi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:50 pm

chronomaster wrote:
Kyoshi wrote:I guess I don't understand the purpose of even having these crawlers then. Unless people are seriously that bored out of their minds to just have something looking for certain keywords in anything and everything on the whole entire web... that is if I'm collecting the right information from what was said. Well looking for certain info while caching everything.
And thanks for the info.

Even by using Google you can never find out what was really meant by something nor the real answer to some questions. Such as someone could have meant something completely different from what is found on Google or Wikipedia, etc. It is and easier task to just ask the person, plus I was just speaking my mind in the last post... Sorry about that.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby Chronomaster » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:19 pm

Kyoshi wrote:
chronomaster wrote:
And thanks for the info.

Even by using Google you can never find out what was really meant by something nor the real answer to some questions. Such as someone could have meant something completely different from what is found on Google or Wikipedia, etc. It is and easier task to just ask the person, plus I was just speaking my mind in the last post... Sorry about that.

I wasn't berating you if you took that in offense, rather I was trying to provoke you to slap yourself in the forehead. (A moment of realization, in other words)

Google is a search engine, considered to have one of the best spidering systems out there. The spiders collect keywords and stuff for search engines to index so people looking for those things find those sites. Everything would be word of mouth otherwise (which doesn't work out as well as it'd seem for some people). I don't get what you're trying to say; Google itself isn't a Q&A service at its core, though it does have a Questions service where the community can answer questions. As far as getting information, I find people are quite difficult in divulging information in an actually usable format (people often go off answering a completely different problem, evidenced when things don't work out the way they describe it). Searching through Google is like surfing a book's index; it takes a bit of skill, and only you're to blame if you don't get the right answer.

And that was a pretty wide range shot there. Hopefully I managed to rope you back in.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Ethelif » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:39 am

Well which would you rather have lurkers or spammers? :P

^^ I personally think quality posts matter more then quantity. So I say let the lurkers be.
Ethelif

Postby erestor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:05 am

i was thinking having a google bot running a muck on the internet aint bad
if we didnt have those we wouldnt have no google
and i cant survive without google
google helped me more on term papers then any other search engine or even the library
long live google
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

PreviousNext

Return to General Off Topic