any computer wizards out there

any computer wizards out there

Postby erestor » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:56 pm

ok so i have been trying to migrate my old hard drive to a new one and the migrator program is not working properly.[ rimind yall of any thing] back to topic. i have a sony vaio and it uses the Searial ATA hardrives. i got a new 450Gb hardrive and it came with a migrator program. so i installed the program and i ran the migrator, but the migrator will not install the OS. it will copy all file and folders even those that are include with the OS, but when i try to boot of the hardrive [after changing everything in the bios] i am told that there is no OS found.

so does anyone know what i am doing wrong or is there a migrator that will work on SATA drives. please help. :( :( :cry:
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

Re: any computer wizards out there

Postby lupos » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:42 pm

Usually you can't migrate the os from one hdd to another, especially with newer versions of windows. This "Feature" is a way for MS to make sure you don't copy the same OS disk onto multiple machines. So if there are any major hardware changes, usually mother boards, it won't work. I'm not positive this is your issue but it seems the most likely to me. You will most likely have to put int he new drive and blank it and install a fresh copy of your OS then copy all your files form the old to the new. IT seems a pain but I generally welcome an excuse to do a reformat as a pc always runs better the fresher it is.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby erestor » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:23 pm

they program i got from the SATA says that i can copy the OS over but it just wont do it. but i will try to load the OS first then copy the files.
erestor

Postby kryss187 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:02 pm

The HD has to have a boot record. Try booting up the XP cd and choose recovery console. when you get to the command line, type 'fixmbr' . With a fixed mbr, the BIOS should know to boot the OS off the drive.
kryss187

Postby erestor » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:54 pm

kryss187 wrote:The HD has to have a boot record. Try booting up the XP cd and choose recovery console. when you get to the command line, type 'fixmbr' . With a fixed mbr, the BIOS should know to boot the OS off the drive.

i shall try that...ty
erestor

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:56 pm

kryss187 wrote:The HD has to have a boot record. Try booting up the XP cd and choose recovery console. when you get to the command line, type 'fixmbr' . With a fixed mbr, the BIOS should know to boot the OS off the drive.

Interesting.

Another solution is professional cloning software, like Norton Ghost. Those will create carbon copy backups for you to either transfer over to a new drive or to keep should something go horribly wrong.

The problem is that you're probably copying over the partition and not the disk itself. MBRs aren't included in the disk partitions.

You could also try Clonezilla if you're a total bad **** like me.

Lookit that, together it isn't censored, but I did the honest thing and broke apart the words just for you, Figaro. :D
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Return to General Off Topic