My Farewell Address

My Farewell Address

Postby Pancakes » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 am

OH hello. Logress finally responded to me. This was my response to him. And also my farewell address. Some of it will naturally be read out of context as it is a direct response to some points that Logress had made. But you are free to guess incorrectly about exactly what I'm saying as many of you are fond of doing anyway.

Do you know how I originally got a bad reputation as a troll on the forum? It was by pointing out repeatedly that EX:Primclone was OP back when nobody wanted to admit that it was. That is the origins of my bad reputation on the forum, because I wouldn't back down in the face of some ridiculous arguments a group of friends decided they would band together and start making. I've never been on good terms with these people since, at least not in their eyes. In my eyes however, I never took the discussion personally. I never have. There's a group of people on this forum that hate me. And I just laugh, because the entire time I've been talking about the game,but they take it as though I've been talking about them, the people. I never have.

People resented that I called their play unfair. They accused me of slander. But Primclone was OP. And if Primclone is OP that makes it unfair. If Primclone is what you play, then that makes your play unfair. It's simple logical observation. Nothing more. But they took it personally and now I have a reputation rooted in their misplaced sensitivity. Because I was never concerned about slandering other people, I was only concerned about preserving the value of the game, which can only be found within the game's balance. That is why balance has been my number one priority the entire time.

Also a comparision between me and demongod is like ice and fire. Our approach to the game is completely different. Some people often hold him up as an object of hatred, I have no particular feelings for him as I have no particular feelings for anyone else. So you need to understand that in distancing myself from his approach to the game, I am not giving a knee jerk reaction, I am just telling you that his "win" style of play, is completely different from my approach where I have been searching for balance the entire time, playing priests, warriors, etc, when the top players haven't touched these cards probably since the game was first released.

Also, your story about Refess doesn't apply to today's game. The card base is too big to discuss balance as if it is yellow cards vs red ones. These days it is about warriors vs fairies, Bringer vs Ernst, Fire Arrow vs Return, Gafc SS vs Belus SS, Assassin SS vs RFA SS, Shathia vs EX Lapierre. These are the current paradigms that the matchups in this game are determined by. Don't you see the difference? Every time you release new cards you are narrowing the viability of older cards. You are subtracting from the cards that people are collecting over time, and people are paying you for it.

You said balance wasn't your top priority so I've offered to help. Not just for me, but I kind of feel sorry for these other people who want to be excited about the next release, but they haven't realized as I have, because they haven't been stupid like me and spent so much money to get all these cards, how many of these cards have been useless over time. Gon Freeces is a very good player. And all this time he had a glimmer of hope about priests being competitive. But that was because he didn't have any of the EX cards for priests. After he finally got his hands on them, he came to the exact same conclusion I had been at all along, independantly of me.

So, the situation is, there is an illusion of balance to the many players here who dont' have access to the cards the way I do. In a sense, their desire to collect cards, to try things out in the future, will only lead them to being punished for investing in your game. Gon Freeces paid money for those EX cards, only to realize he has no use for them. You going to "accuse" me of being demongod because I say this?

Gon Freeces is not me. So for whatever reason he isn't speaking up as he should. Because if he and others did speak up, you'd finally have to listen. This is why I offered to help. Not because I was implying that I was better than you and your team. But because it seemed like risking public embarrasment and attempting to balance the cards was the only way. And I don't know if you went through that big thread and looked at all my posts. But I clearly stated that my intention was to listen to the entire community as I believe that is the only way to balance the game.Which is something that you are not currently doing. Are you? In effect when you tell me that I should be able to listen to others, you are agreeing with me completely, becasue this is what I have been doing all along.

Anyway, these people may say they hate me. But honestly, all this time they've ALL been agreeing with me without knowing it. This is what I know, and what they don't know. They think we're at odds but I've been saying exactly what they've been saying all this time.

Anyway. You finally won your freedom from me. If you aren't going to focus on balance, there is no reason for me to watch the forum activity any more or discuss tactics on it. I'm not throwing a hissy fit. It's just the truth. What is the purpose of discussing balance of Asuet, when he is clearly so veyr worthless. What is the purpose of discussing posssible Ernst, use, when using Ernst is nothing but trouble with little to no reward involved? There isn't any.

And poor Bear Killing Axe.

Okay bye.
I can only use Bringer, BKR Jack, and returns cuz I'm a free player. It's my best shot at winning!
Pancakes

Re: My Farewell Address

Postby Peralisc2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:36 am

Id still pick pancakes as part of the balance team.

Leave me a contact adress or something. As time change i might have my own game to balance and take care of, so id like to stay in contact with those i consider competent at balancing.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:14 am

Dam son. Thanks for the compliment but at least wait until after the errata to complain about balance. And I still wanna hear about that hot lawyer you tried to hook up with.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Khalida » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 am

Pancakes wrote:Anyway, these people may say they hate me. But honestly, all this time they've ALL been agreeing with me without knowing it. This is what I know, and what they don't know. They think we're at odds but I've been saying exactly what they've been saying all this time.

These sentences describe very well why so few people like to read your opinions on the forum. You think you know more than others, your point of view is the only one that is "true" and even if people express their own opinion you can't imagine that they may be right and you are not.
Have fun in your own little world. I'm glad it no longer overlaps with ours.
Khalida

Postby Ditto » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:03 am

Does this mean you are going to follow Demongod and the others who left this game ?

If so then tis' a shame. I've seen some of your replays and some of them are quite fascinating. Well,either way good luck.
Ditto

Postby Spears » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:07 am

I think most people do agree with your views on a lot of the card balance, its your personality that is highly disagreeable.
This bizzare complex that the community disagrees with everything you say and only later realises it was right is what really gets my goat as its clearly not true. Coupled with your continous attempts to appear aloof and superior its no wonder that your constant harping on about being despised by us twilight zone residents eventually came true.
Spears

Postby Lateralus923 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:17 am

Goodbye Pancakes.

I think your input to balance was wrongly dismisssed by most. People complained about the complexity, but I think some of the ideas were solid (but obviously, to your point, would require a community effort to refine)

Good luck with future endeavors.
It'll be like a taco, within a taco, inside a Taco Bell, inside a KFC, inside a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR DREAM!!!!!!
Lateralus923

Postby Logress » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 am

I think you got a lot out of my response I didn't say, and vica verca. My Refess story, for example had nothing to do with the game, and everything about how to think about designing/balancing it. I could have used an example from another game altogether. And I don't want anyone to think I compared you to Demongod or vica verca, I mentioned him because he's the only other player on the forum who specifically said he'd like to re-balance the game on his own.
I hope you'll return at some point, balance discussion aside, you have a great grasp at the way the gameplay 'breathes' and the way files come together.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Kemious » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 am

Ah Pancake , I'm going to be sad to see you go. I actually find your approach to the game refreshing and insightful and while I may not completely agree with all of your concepts of rebalancing and what needs to be changed. I myself do find that your are a very important voice in the forums over here. S
His blood is of iron and his heart of glass
He survived through countless battles
Not even once retreating
Not even once being victorious
The bearer lies here alone
Thus, my life needs no meaning
This body is made out infinite swords
Kemious

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:04 pm

Yeah cakes I used to hate you to be honest. But you've really grown on me. Like now I find your take on things genuinely refreshing and interesting. I mean the very fact that you try to play priests and warriors is wonderful in and of itself. If you really want to leave then that's your decision and you should do what's best for ya, but I'll miss you. Or maybe I will turn into the lunatic raging about fierte and rfa in your absence :o

And yes, when I played priests/TGC I play a pixy file and I think I only killed 1 pixy. It was pretty horrible. I see why you made that balance alert thread about priests verse pixies.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Next

Return to General Off Topic