Complurēs Linguās Scīmusne?

Re: Complurēs Linguās Scīmusne?

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 am

I took 3 years of Spanish in highschool and live on the border of Mexico so we have like 20 different Spanish channels in the basic cable package, so while I wouldn't say I speak it fluenty, I've held conversations primarily in spanish with people online from spanish speaking countries before.

After Espanol, the only language I know any significant amount of is Japanese. Never took any courses on it but I did used to own a "learn to speak Japanese" computer program that I would use all the time, plus for years I was watching subtitled and occasionally non-subtitled anime. Over time you pick up a thing or two. But a thing or two isn't enough to hold meaningful conversations, and certainly not worthy of being considered fluent. Plus I can only understand spoken japanese or japanese written in english characters, Kanji is entirely out of my league.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Grain » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:30 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:I took 3 years of Spanish in highschool and live on the border of Mexico so we have like 20 different Spanish channels in the basic cable package, so while I wouldn't say I speak it fluenty, I've held conversations primarily in spanish with people online from spanish speaking countries before.

After Espanol, the only language I know any significant amount of is Japanese. Never took any courses on it but I did used to own a "learn to speak Japanese" computer program that I would use all the time, plus for years I was watching subtitled and occasionally non-subtitled anime. Over time you pick up a thing or two. But a thing or two isn't enough to hold meaningful conversations, and certainly not worthy of being considered fluent. Plus I can only understand spoken japanese or japanese written in english characters, Kanji is entirely out of my league.

The karaoke songs are good for vocabulary.

I bought a Kanji dictionary for $40.00 at a book shop.

We seem to have a lot of people living near the border.

This is probably because of A-kon.

Is living near the border to Mexico prestigious or something? :lol:

-Grain
Last edited by Grain on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grain

Postby Grain » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:33 pm

lupos wrote:Took French in HS, I only remember about 5 words total.

Was taking Japaneses classes but works gotten to busy so taking a break on those for a while. Hopefully start back up towards the end of summer.

boku wa lupos desu. O name wa?

otearai wa asoko desu. ;a33

こんにちは!

Grainです。

お手洗いは見ません。

どちらですか?

-Grain
Grain

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:40 pm

Looks like Portuguese... Possibly Italian? It feels like a European language of some sort.

As for languages I know/want to know, I suppose I'm proficient in English and may know a little Spanish (everyone knows a little bit of the European languages though, so that's not saying much). I've wanted to pick up on German, Russian, Korean, Japanese, and some form of Chinese in my lifetime, and maybe some Spanish to finish out my lessons.

Right now, I'm studying... Python and C. :V
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Grain » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:02 pm

chronomaster wrote:I've wanted to pick up on German, Russian, Korean, Japanese, and some form of Chinese in my lifetime, and maybe some Spanish to finish out my lessons.

Heh... Good luck with that.

-Grain
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:36 pm

I grew up living near the border of Canada so if living near another country is prestigious I'm pretty well covered. However unlike living near Mexico, which pretty much results in a large portion of your locals having Spanish as their primary language, Canada adjacent states don't really have all that many french speaking locals so that's probably why I was never taught french during my younger years. Other then programming languages, perfecting my Spanish, and broadening my understanding of Japanese, I don't really have any other language learning ambitions.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:36 pm

No wonder I felt like it was European. The language of the title is Latin.

Also, I probably won't learn all those languages. Those are the ones I'm interested in receiving formal training in though.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Grain » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Chronomaster wrote:The language of the title is Latin.

What makes you think that?

-Grain
Grain

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Grain wrote:
Chronomaster wrote:The language of the title is Latin.

What makes you think that?

-Grain

Just a wild guess.

Actually, I couldn't think of a signle Latin-based language that would pronounce or even have the word 'Scīmunse' in it, and the rest of the phrase seems Latin-based, so unless it's some language I haven't heard of and am not familiar with at all, it's probably Latin itself.

Unless you threw together three different languages to completely throw me off.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby conco » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:56 pm

I have tried a few On-line Language Identifiers.

And I can confirm, he speaks gibberish 8-)

I speak bits of Spanish and French, more fluent in Spanish, can hold a decent conversation if pushed, otherwise I just stick to ordering a cerveza :P
Alpha #364
conco

PreviousNext

Return to General Off Topic