I know a little more about myself

I know a little more about myself

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:39 am

I found out that my goal in life has the subconscious desire to see all women wearing glasses. How's that for nuts?

Ever realize something about yourself that you didn't expect? Maybe some hidden connection between likes and dislikes, so on and so forth?
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Re: I know a little more about myself

Postby Grain » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:48 pm

I learn something new about myself every time I have a Freudian slip.
Grain

Postby GunCastor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:21 pm

When my friends tell me that I have certain personality aspects, I'm usually like "Oh...really?" whether I agree with them or not.
GunCastor

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:35 pm

GunCastor wrote:When my friends tell me that I have certain personality aspects, I'm usually like "Oh...really?" whether I agree with them or not.

Sounds like your suffering from apathy syndrome, but in the sense being apathetic about how your friends see you not in the got your brains devoured by a shadow way of Persona.

I've realized some things about myself in the past, some horrible horrible things. Some things I've corrected, like how I used to be ridiculously timid and shy for no good reason. Others I just try to mitigate to the best of my ability.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby GunCastor » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:10 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:
GunCastor wrote:When my friends tell me that I have certain personality aspects, I'm usually like "Oh...really?" whether I agree with them or not.

Sounds like your suffering from apathy syndrome, but in the sense being apathetic about how your friends see you not in the got your brains devoured by a shadow way of Persona.

Hmm..., I have been told that I was an apathetic person towards many things as well. But as long as they don't think too badly of me or misunderstand my intentions, it's fine with me. I find that I often learn unexpected things about myself based on what people say and reflecting on past experiences anyways.
GunCastor

Postby Porky » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:58 am

Aren't most people quite apathetic these days? The new apathetic generation, people who wouldn't go out of their way to help others, people who don't even phone the police when a crime occurs, this is how society has become. Anyone know whats the cause? Where has our values gone?

I realized that i'm quite high on neuroticism=(
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby lupos » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:10 am

Porky wrote: Anyone know whats the cause? Where has our values gone?

People have nothing to believe in. Few real heroes for inspiration. More and more people are seeing religion as a lie or some old outdated story that was made up to control people. The government is less trust worthy every day. The military is made to do un-heroic things by those in charge of the government. Patriots are now belittled for "causing trouble". Hippies used to not be a derogatory term. It's been an intentional push over many years to make people this way. The biggest example if professional sports. How many people you know that could list more than 100 different baseball players names? And their stats? Now how many of those people could also list a ton of football players and similar stats? Basketball? Hockey even? Now, how many people do you know, yourself included, who could even name every supreme court justice? Let alone the 100 people in the senate? The several hundred in the house?! Not likely. People care about sports more than they do the government even though it actually means less to them.

Add to that our propensity to want to "forget about our troubles" with alcohol and the tie in it has with sports watching and it's no wonder. It matter more to people in Boston that there base ball team beats New York's team than it does if they have better crime rates or schools (no offense meant to Boston specifically). We've had so many generations in a row of people being made to not care that it's just snowballing it seems. Few people raise their kids to "stand up for what they believe in", to "think critically", or to make any sort of trouble period. God forbid a kid disagrees with a teacher or risks getting in trouble, then they might get suspended, and then who can afford to take care of them at home. We rely on schools to baby sit and educate. So we have to make our kids accept what they are taught and accept how they are treated.

Really there are a myriad of reasons for things being the way they are and in my opinion the single most important thing we could do to fix it is to fix education. To get rid of standardized test. To throw out or horrible old lie filled text books. Then follow that up very closely with strict over site on the media and what is considered "news". Sensational biased journalism keeps those who are already poorly educated form every really learning anything.

I could go on but I'll save my frustration for a time when I don't have so many other things to do.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Romdeau » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Grain wrote:I learn something new about myself every time I have a Freudian slip.

Har Har, except those don't really explain anything about yourself because there's no evidence that shows Freudian slips actually represents subconscious desires. I'm sure you already knew this and this was just a Grain moment, but I had to clarify for those who may not have known.

I will be sure to respond to Porky and Lupos responses soon, but I have committed myself to another activity and I believe that subject justifies a well thought out response.
Romdeau

Postby Phades » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:07 am

lupos wrote:
Porky wrote: Anyone know whats the cause? Where has our values gone?

People have nothing to believe in. Few real heroes for inspiration. More and more people are seeing religion as a lie or some old outdated story that was made up to control people. The government is less trust worthy every day. The military is made to do un-heroic things by those in charge of the government. Patriots are now belittled for "causing trouble". Hippies used to not be a derogatory term. It's been an intentional push over many years to make people this way. The biggest example if professional sports. How many people you know that could list more than 100 different baseball players names? And their stats? Now how many of those people could also list a ton of football players and similar stats? Basketball? Hockey even? Now, how many people do you know, yourself included, who could even name every supreme court justice? Let alone the 100 people in the senate? The several hundred in the house?! Not likely. People care about sports more than they do the government even though it actually means less to them.
Well it is not just sports, you could list anything on TV regularly with that, due to the fact that people are not home when things like government actions take place. Seriously, i hear more and more about people religiously following "reality television shows" instead of you know, living in reality... I mean hell, there are cable channels that show various government bodies, while in office in real time, deliberate. However, this is only on the air while they are actually in the house or on the floor etc. Furthermore, you can go down the route of TV as a control effect by the upper echelons to pacify and control the average individual through controlled programming while drawing a similar parrallel towards older religions and their fables.

Part of this is due to the overpsecialization we have grown into due largely as a byproduct of the ever increasing population forcing such specialization. People simply do not have the time anymore to interact with a large enough percentage of the people around them to really cause influence or change without using things like TV as a medium for such control, or have enough talent and time to master their environment like people could in generations past since everyone did basically the same actions just to get bye on a daily basis. Since there is no longer as much direct interpersonal interactions, this creates the feeling of apathy in some indivudals due to being "overwhelmed" by it all. This is also a rather scary concept considering this is the "majority" of people when it comes to the "general voting public".

lupos wrote:Add to that our propensity to want to "forget about our troubles" with alcohol and the tie in it has with sports watching and it's no wonder. It matter more to people in Boston that there base ball team beats New York's team than it does if they have better crime rates or schools (no offense meant to Boston specifically). We've had so many generations in a row of people being made to not care that it's just snowballing it seems.
Well, part of this "lifestyle" has also been advertised for over a generation as "what adults do" and it is hard to adjust that level of cultural conditioning. The problem is that more and more people have stopped caaring altogether, which helps add to some problems such as the real estate industry on the consumer side of the equation electing to declare bankruptcy rather than uphold their obligation. However, this is not entirely their fault either with the lending industries' bad lending practices involving fictional money, over inflated equity values, and scalable loan rates allowing the consumer to overpay over time only to lead towards quarterly to annual escrow style payments...

lupos wrote:[Really there are a myriad of reasons for things being the way they are and in my opinion the single most important thing we could do to fix it is to fix education. To get rid of standardized test. To throw out or horrible old lie filled text books. Then follow that up very closely with strict over site on the media and what is considered "news". Sensational biased journalism keeps those who are already poorly educated form every really learning anything.
Actually, standardized testing in concept is not a bad thing. However, is it commonly executed rather poorly. For example, even the SAT 1&2s are "standardized" tests, however the actual results from these tests are not the end all when it comes to actual aptitudes and are commonly ignored. This is in contrast to other testing methods to try and "prove" that an individual has accomplished an "acceptable" level of mastery over a particular grade or high school in general and the standards are set so low to allow just about anyone to "pass" and "graduate" from that particular institution.

Although from where i sit, i feel that high level testing should be required for anyone to be eligible to vote, so that they prove that they know what they are voting on instead of what they are told through the media and have a basic level of compotentce when it comes to rationalizing that decision. This would be in addition to forcing full disclosure of all pertinent information of all candidates running for office including medical background, actual activities related to the job or office, and passing a testing scheme that rates their own personal aptitudes in relevant areas. I am getting rather tired of propaganda electing officials who sit in office a lifetime and accomplish nothing, nor have any accountability for anything they do or fail to do over time due to the political machines that back them and simply "speak in a convincing manner" or "look good on television". This country doesn't need anymore actors in addition to lawyiers who are not interested in anything other than putting forward their own needs or their parties' needs.
Phades

Postby lupos » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:11 pm

Only real comment I have in opposition to what you said is the test to vote issue. There are various other ways we could implement a similar safe guard with out potentially alienating people. One would be a more top down method. Have the candidates fill out a very very very lengthy questionnaire about all there views and intentions. Then make voting a matter of filling out a face book style compatibility quiz. the person who most agrees with the nation wins. Throw in a lie detector for the test taking and BAM, suddenly people can vote without any prior studying up on the subjects if they so choose. Perhaps even allowing them to just opt out on questions they don't understand or know about. The next logical step would be to make it online of course, which leads to security issues. However I don't much trust the electronic systems we have no so it's kind of a wash for me on that.

Of course if you set it up like that, at what point to we even really need representatives? I mean, they are there because 200+ years ago people couldn't all easily vote on everything that ever happens. Now they theoretically could. Just make it a daily part of the routine. Hope online and fill out a quiz every day like people already do on face book and we don't even need politicians. Though someone has to write the laws out I suppose. Course if they weren't so stuffed with fluff a simple "this is legal/illegal would probably suffice.

At any rate, preventing anyone form voting besides criminals is not going to happen. Good idea or not. Just to sticky of a subject.
lupos
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Off Topic