Return, ambiguous effect?

ATTENTION! Here is where to post BUGS!

Return, ambiguous effect?

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:09 pm

The level 3 card Return has a some what ambiguous effect:

Return one unit level 3 or below to its Card File.

If I had to guess how it works I'm guessing it only lets you target the field, but based on the way the effect is written it sounds like you could also target units in the cemetery (maybe) or Soul Cards (EXTREMELY unlikely).

So how exactly does it work? Could this be made a bit more clearer on the card itself?

For example:
Can I return an opponents unit of level 3 or less on his field to his card file.
Can I return one of my units of level 3 or less from my cemetery to my card file?
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: Return, ambiguous effect?

Postby reydien » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Just a thought, but I think the way it is worded actually reinforces the concept of "field only." You can only have Units on the field; when they are in your card file or the cemetery, they are unit cards. The distinction is important, and occurs in other abilities as well:

Witch Queen / Catherina: Soul Ability - Remove from the game three random cards from your Cemetery.
Black Cat / Fellana: Auto Ability - Send a random Grimoire Card from your Card File to the Cemetery.

As for targetting enemy units, the ability makes no mention of friendly or enemy, so I don't see why not.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Re: Return, ambiguous effect?

Postby Logress » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:57 pm

Unless stated otherwise, generally effects can only target units on the field. If it doesn't specify I side, either is can be done. I gotta tell you, when your last copy of Sea Hunter is sitting on the field with 5 HP left, this baby can save you some LP loss. Or if you have SP to spare, you can bring him out later since his HP is restored. This may also be worth doing as a way to undo some permanent effect, like a RNG drain or an AT drain that makes the card useless. Against the enemy, the benefits of returning should be obvious, since level 3 happens to be the level of the best meat-shields of all four colors. Warning! Using Return against LeBeau is a double edged sword, as all things having to do with LeBeau are...
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Return to Fellana's Laboratory