Downloadable Interface

ATTENTION! Here is where to post BUGS!

Downloadable Interface

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Obviously the important information will always be stored server side, but after the issues we've had so far with band with do you think it might be possible to have a downloadable interface, basically just permanently storing all those items that are normally cached on login. You wouldn't need to use it, you could still play the game entirely through the browser, but if you wanted you could download the interface, it could patch itself to the latest version at login if necessary, and then you could play with out having to worry about lag from redownloading pictures do to your browser emptying its cache.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: Downloadable Interface

Postby reydien » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, most browsers automatically cache the files (unless you have changed the settings to prevent it).
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Kyoshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:47 pm

reydien wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, most browsers automatically cache the files (unless you have changed the settings to prevent it).

Or if they have it set to clean itself out everyday.(or do it themselves)
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Yeah the issue is that some people have set up their computer to clean their cache every so often, some more often then others. I suggested this because poxnora has done it, they were originally browser based only but have since released a downloadable application. You can still play purely through browsers as always but I found it a nice little feature to have the ability to download it and run it as an application (though I never really got into poxnora for several other reasons).
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby NSB_Ace_Attorney » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:10 pm

It think a downloadable interface would be a great idea. My only fear would be the size of the game file. If were looking at about 500 MB that's cool with me but I don't know about other people who don't have 5000 GB hard drives. The other would be download time.
NSB_Ace_Attorney

Postby Kyoshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:28 pm

But at the moment it is better to be browser based so they can have better control over the Alpha testing. But then also there is the fault of people getting the application and it not working on some computers or the constant updates and the site slowing down from mass uploading of the application.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby Raeith » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:37 pm

Would it be possible just to use a stripped down minimalistic web-browser as the downloadable interface? You'd just have to make sure it generates it's own cache folder and use that to store the not so temporary Alteil files. This should stop most security programs from flushing the Alteil data in their attempt to purge all temporary files. If possible it also means that there doesn't need to be anyone specifically porting updates from the browser interface to this one.

But until theres some serious need for it, the standard web-browser interface should probably be sufficient for all of the testing phases while basically everything is being updated anyway. (Unless the cached files are effectively set in stone as of now in which I'm curious as to what exactly does Alteil download and cache on login)
Protect our forests!
Don't kick, punch, bite or hurt the trees!
Raeith

Return to Fellana's Laboratory