Bug or not? Two card combo for immortality

ATTENTION! Here is where to post BUGS!

Bug or not? Two card combo for immortality

Postby woshiro » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 pm

My opponent happened to have Animated Dead unit active when he received hit and get a soul skill from Killing Machine / LeBeau. He put 45 defence on his Animated Dead... I said to myself okey, no problem, its invincible for turn, BUT the defence bonus stayed there and made it unit with 45 def... I was starting to worry how will I kill it because I dont have much units with attack over 45, but then I used my Bellydancer / Kurina skill to increase some of my units attack from 40 to 50 and start hitting Animated Dead for 5 damage and after two turns I killed it, BUT HELL WHAT? He revived them for 2SP and it still had the defence bonus on it. I suppose this must be some kind of bug or something because if not - its a two card combo to make an immortal unit...

Obviously my opponent didnt play any other unit from that point and kept reviving Animated Dead each other turn and after a long battle ( I moved my wounded units from range and rested them and then switch them with the wounded ones and so on ) he killed enough my units with Invisible Druid which he played when he had enough SP.
woshiro

Re: Bug or not? Two card combo for immortality

Postby Candi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:23 pm

No, this is not a bug. It's the bane of the universe until you start packing an answer to it.

Falkow players bring Returns, Witches and Expert Sorcerers. Lawtia players bring a card like Merciless Death and Gowen you can pack a Fire Arrow to slam it, soul cards that do direct to HP damage and, if you have it, the assassin SC in your 4th slot will deal with it most effectively.

It's the trick of the Crest Arena that most every Lawtia player runs - you just have to be expecting it and either clean sweep their field or try to beat it to death.

It gets worse if they have a Zombie Lord / Zugeratoza
Candi

Postby Grain » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:49 pm

Animated dead will also retain any debuffs you put on it.
Grain

Postby ANIMEniac » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:07 am

Any unit will retain it's extra stats as long as it isn't "replaced". When a unit closes and you revive, it is replaced by another copy of the card. If the Animated Dead loses all its HP, it's skill activates. He eats up 2 SP to revoer all its HP. It never closes, thus keeps the buffs.

Now i have to wonder if you can revive a unit with Anna/Eska/High Priest and keep the buffs...
ANIMEniac

Postby Candi » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:22 am

ANIMEniac wrote:Now i have to wonder if you can revive a unit with Anna/Eska/High Priest and keep the buffs...

I believe the answer is yes, I am pretty sure a Sphinx revive gets to keep its buffs.
Candi

Postby Grain » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Candi wrote:
ANIMEniac wrote:Now i have to wonder if you can revive a unit with Anna/Eska/High Priest and keep the buffs...

I believe the answer is yes, I am pretty sure a Sphinx revive gets to keep its buffs.

Wrong.

External reviving does not retain buffs.

Once the card closes, it's buffs are gone.
Grain

Postby ANIMEniac » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:05 pm

As Grain stated, you do not get to keep buffs. I tested this last night and found myself really disappointed =(
If you are reviving unit, you'd think it'd be the same unit with all it's buffs...
ANIMEniac

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Closing removes buffs, the key to cards like animate dead, zombie lord, and phoenix are that they never ACTUALLY close, close skills activate when a card is about to close, thus whatever the close skill's effect is actually occurs BEFORE a card closes. Thus why their effects don't state that they "revive" the cards but that they "restore the hp" of the cards. At the last possible moment before they would be closed they restore their hp thus causing the close to fizzle.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: NOT two card combo for "immortality"

Postby Brazex » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:45 pm

The simple solution is penetration. Another is return effects. Assassin was mentioned, and there are other cards with this effect. There are also cards that set defense to 0. There may be others I'm not thinking of, but it's not immortality, especially if you can set its DF to 0, then it's just a way to drain the opponent's SP.

But no argument that if you don't have those options, it's annoying :P. Luckily a person I was once dueling had a sphinx as his last soul card whentrying this combo (It was with the stronger undying unit, though). :)
Brazex

Return to Fellana's Laboratory