Website Main Page - Saving as a Favorite "HOME"

ATTENTION! Here is where to post BUGS!

Website Main Page - Saving as a Favorite "HOME"

Postby Mirth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:00 am

I'm not sure if this would qualify as a "bug" persay... or a "translation" error...

However, when you use Internet Explorer to "Add to Favorites" the Main Alteil.com web page (http://www.alteil.com)... the default favorite name it saves it under is:

"HOME"

It may be better for this to be web coded to something like "ALTEIL.COM HOME - AMAZING Battles and Even MORE FUN!" or "ALTIEL.COM HOME - BEWARE: IZCERS AT PLAY"

Unfortunately, "HOME" (unless you change it when you "Add to Favorites") gets easily lost in the midst of all of your other Favorites.

Also, having it re-coded should make it easier to find by web browsers and people looking to play the game (Treasure Card Bonus! ;th2 ).

2-cents away!

Sincerely, Mirth ;loading
Mirth

Re: Website Main Page - Saving as a Favorite "HOME"

Postby lupos » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:51 am

This is something I'm aware of and want to take care of but frankly it scares me a bit. We use a CMS (content managemtn system) called joomla and it's fantastic. But ti doesn't seem to have built in controls for that. Last time we tried using a 3rd party plug in for it, the whole database went to $h|+ and the site was down for like 8 hours. I'll get it sorted, soon I think.

Thanks for the heads up though.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Mirth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:32 am

No problem! Glad to help ;th2

I understand where you are coming from. The office I work at recently had a network upgrade (...from heck...). Seemingly "small" changes to the new servers caused massive problems which have required "fun" all nighters/all dayers with technical support (Which even included "Try this... now try it again... again... didn't work that time? Try it again... again... what, it still is not working? Have you considered doing a rebuild? Heh).

Good luck! May the Force/Shwartz/Bill Gates be on your side!

Sincerely, Mirth ;loading
Mirth

Postby Chronomaster » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:12 pm

lupos wrote:Last time we tried using a 3rd party plug in for it, the whole database went to $h|+ and the site was down for like 8 hours.

A mod? Evading the wordsplatter? This is blasphemy!
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Forsakensoul » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:26 am

T_T it pains me to see so many going away from html codeing.

<title>Alteil's Home Page</title>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-gb" lang="en-gb" dir="ltr" >
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
<head>
<base href="http://alteil.com/index.php" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />
<meta name="keywords" content="Alteil, alteil, card game, gran, magic, TCG, free, free to play, online, CCG, fight money" />
<meta name="description" content="Alteil.com - The Free Web Based Card Battle Game" />
<meta name="generator" content="Joomla! 1.5 - Open Source Content Management" />
<title>HOME</title>

<link href="/index.php?format=feed&amp;type=rss" rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" />
<link href="/index.php?format=feed&amp;type=atom" rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Atom 1.0" />
<link href="/templates/Alteil/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/caption.js"></script>
<link href="http://alteil.com/components/com_events/layouts/ext/css/modstyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

that is your current HTML coding. The bold part is what needs to be changed. I would not think it to be that difficult but have never heard of the data base program you are using. i would have to see it in person in order to figure out if it could be changed. honestly though, you should be able to just paste it all to notepad make that 1 change then upload it back onto the site. of course you would want to change the file name for the home page to default name.bak in case of a mess up and if it does mess it up just delete the old one and then delete the .bak and you should be back to normal.
Forsakensoul

Postby lupos » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:22 am

Oh were it that simple. It's a php page and it's generated dynamically. Go to a different sub page and check the source. That line will be different. Now I may be able to hard code in a line after that section which most browsers will then over write the previous value with but I like that it's all different based on what's there. Shouldn't be that difficult to convince it to say something like "ALTEIL.com: HOME" , "ALTEIL.com: EVENTS" etc... but I've just not had the time.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Forsakensoul » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:19 am

Hrm... I don't see how it would be that difficult but I never became familiar with PHP I only studied HTMl and some Java. I did save the source code for the home page and changed the text. Saved it as an html on my desktop and it opened fine for me. No problems and even links to all the normal stuff on the site.
Forsakensoul

Return to Fellana's Laboratory