Salamander vs Will-o-Wisp, clear imbalance?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Salamander vs Will-o-Wisp, clear imbalance?

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:07 pm

That way you can rather take succubus and call it a great spirit, even if it isn't one.
I was talking only about those cool easy to use level 1 spirits, which could find a place in every deck.
(driad, salamander, sylph, undine, shade, wisp)
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Candi » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:29 pm

Peralisc2 wrote:That way you can rather take succubus and call it a great spirit, even if it isn't one.
I was talking only about those cool easy to use level 1 spirits, which could find a place in every deck.
(driad, salamander, sylph, undine, shade, wisp)

No, you cannot call Succubus a great spirit - because it's not a Great Spirit.
Soul Keeper is, because she has the Great Spirit type. Whether or not she is level 1 and belongs in every deck is besides the point ,she's still a great spirit.

Anyway, way off topic and unrelated.
I apologize.
Candi

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:58 pm

Candi wrote:No, you cannot call Succubus a great spirit - because it's not a Great Spirit.
Soul Keeper is, because she has the Great Spirit type. Whether or not she is level 1 and belongs in every deck is besides the point ,she's still a great spirit.

I apologize.

Yes. Good you figured it out.

Back to my question:
Why is there only one level 1 spirit for lawtia and refess?
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Peralisc2 wrote:
Candi wrote:No, you cannot call Succubus a great spirit - because it's not a Great Spirit.

I apologize.

Yes. Good you figured it out.

Back to my question:
Why is there only one level 1 spirit for lawtia and refess?

Because their based off the elemental great spirits of japanese legend. You see the 6 spirits in various lore and even video games, they cover earth, fire, wind, water, light, and dark. Things related to earth and fire are gowen's speciality, water and wind are falkows, refess is purely light, and lawtia purely dark.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 pm

Aha, well that makes sense and you often come across those elements ...
But where does lightning fit in there? Does it go together with refess?

Ok so they want to have those elements split up like that, but somehow it still bothers me ...
Why not have 2 dark spirits that manifest in 2 difrent ways of level 1 just to make it even. I repeat, only to make the number of the level 1 spirits even for each sphere.

Will there be any other spirits in upcomming sets (and i really am interested only in the level 1 spirits for now) or they really want to have only 1 representative for each of those 6 elements?
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Postby Gota » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:54 am

Ah, sorry to be a littleeee off topic, but..

holy dragon
night dragon
water dragon
fire dragon
earth dragon
We are missing wind dragon D=<
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby kitsunekit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:22 am

Uuuh, the great spirits aren't really based off Japanese myth. The best way to translate "Great Spirit" would be O-kami or maybe O-Yoreii. I'm not sure what they are called in the Japanese game, but none of these spirits (save for maybe shade) would really qualify as one of these.

Besides, Salamander is based on European lore. Japanese dragons are water/air related, and there's really no "fire serpents" in Shinto lore that I can think of.

Yamata no Orochi has been seen as Fire related sometimes...but considering its actually based on a set of rivers in Izumo.

Shade is very much European given its appearance. Ghosts are almost always white in Japanese lore.

Sylph and Undine are particular myths from German and Greek mythology. Same goes for Dryad.

Will-o-Wisp has SOME Japanese lore in the form of Kitsune Bi (which is also the best way to translate it), but our will-o-wisp is very much based in the western pixie-like aberrition, and not the semi-alive ghostly beings that follow kitsune and other yokai...

Just thought I would educate a bit. Most Alteil is based in Western mythology, which the exception of Ancient Zombie Lord and Sphinx, which are obviously Egyptian, the few Chinese warriors like Spear Warrior and the handful of Samurai...plus Dalos is obviously an Oni. Coatl is based on Aztec myth. Phoenix...could be considered semi-Chinese/Japanese...Carbuncles are English/Irish with some speculation in Indian lore.

Tons of influences from classic role playing and even tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons, Magic the Gathering and Final Fantasy. Monks having Flurry of Blows, for example--which even takes its ability directly from Dungeons and Dragons.
kitsunekit

Previous

Return to Alteil General Discussion