Rewards For Losing

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Rewards For Losing

Postby DWildstar » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:48 pm

I think someone brought this up in another thread before, and one problem is how easy it could be for a system like that to be abused since it's obviously easier to lose than to win. Someone suggested restrictions such as minimum number of turns taken, but even that could be abused with people giving up after the bare minimum.

As for the motivation to keep playing when you know losses could decrease the amount of gran? I guess my view is that playing the game is ultimately the goal of the game and not the gran. Are you playing to enjoy the game or are you playing because you get rewarded for it? I play Alteil because I think it's fun. In the first win percentage tournament when I knew I could never get in the top 3 I kept on playing for the heck of it because it was fun. End result was I managed to get myself enough wins/losses to get into fourth place :D
DWildstar

Postby LegendsEnd » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:14 pm

I think it would interesting to see a Play for Gran/Treasure battle vs. Fun poll. Of course the results wouldn't be very useful at the moment in a low player count where the ones who will see the poll likely already have useful cards beyond the starter lol.
LegendsEnd

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Well i think fun starts somewhere around level 15 when you finally understand the game A LOT better than you used to.

oh, i play for fun, but to be honest i play up to 80% for fun
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Phades » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:21 pm

DWildstar wrote:Are you playing to enjoy the game or are you playing because you get rewarded for it? I play Alteil because I think it's fun.
I think the better question is, "how do you go about breaking a losing streak without earning new cards"? The reasons for playing may vary from person to person, however i am fairly positive that most people play to win. If being competitive didn't matter to people, then how much they earned wouldn't matter in addition to what their file composition would be like. Otherwise you wouldn't see people copying deck ideas and themes along with application of cards and you would see things like decks being composed entirely and exclusively of the great spirits and other random stuff.
Phades

Postby Porky » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:20 pm

I play to win most of the time... and in the process I have fun? Some people may find losing/trying a new deck fun I suppose but I think much of the *fun* comes from the competitive aspect of the game. Why else would people pay hundreds of $ for cards? (Besides collecting purposes then you're more likely to pay thousands.)
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby LegendsEnd » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:02 pm

Which is why I made my comment earlier about how most people would say they are playing for fun at the moment. They are the people who stay. The ones who play and try to get cards without paying are the ones that leave, because it's very difficult at the moment, and also the reason for the current discussion on rewards for losing.
LegendsEnd

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:21 pm

LegendsEnd wrote:The ones who play and try to get cards without paying are the ones that leave

That's not true, damn it! I actually intend to play for at least 1 more year, if possible then i stay even more!
But i could buy cards 1 day, not sure.

Also why would i try so much to level up if i'd want to quit?? >_>
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby LegendsEnd » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:01 pm

I mean in general, the ones that leave tend to be those that have nothing to lose.
LegendsEnd

Postby Phades » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Or rather nothing to gain...
Phades

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:45 pm

Once again we come to the conclusion we need the extra arena for low RP players. :( (not that my RP is incredible big ...)
ImageImage
Peralisc2

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion