The Assassin Menace

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

The Assassin Menace

Postby Romdeau » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:10 pm

I'm sure it is well known by now that the Assassin (or Sal Sol) is now hugely overused in Folart these days. I'll admit that at first it didn't seem like much of a problem, because I use it to counter the big creatures myself; however, it's becoming searingly apparent that this card is the new Lebeau. As Xovian pointed out quite some time ago, everyone and their mother uses assassin because of it's strong utility and few counters. Yes I understand that there are a few counters in each sphere I.E. grims that engage units with Falkow receiving the best with a fieldwide engaging grim.

This is a problem. The Japanese desire people to have versatile Soul Cards, but look what's happening right now; Assassin is the new Killing Machine. I've frequently seen people run double assassins in their SC and guess what? They can run more than 3 if they choose to do so because you can combo with Sal Sol. I also thought that creating another Lebeau effect in the form of Alphonce-now I have to play scratch and sniff twice if I want to null this effect. Well, I won't go into too much detail about THAT. Do they plan on releasing another EX pack specifically for this problem like they did for Lebeau? I hope not-it's a pathetic way to fix this. An EX pack release that targets a specific effect tells me that the Japanese admit that a specific card is problematic, but they'll force players to pay money if they want to counter it (4 dollars for 3 cards...oh yes!). TBH I thought the EX packs were garbage and I only bought 2 of Falkow for EX Azure's SC effect and at the time I had 0 Deep Squids.

Anyhow I'm sure we're all aware of this situation and it appears that quite a few of us still don't recognize this as a problem-if you've changed your mind (like me)then voice it. If you still think there's no problem, then explain why.
Romdeau

Re: The Assassin Menace

Postby Grain » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:33 pm

One of my ten files uses lots of grimoires and has lots of LP. I've beaten a very high ranking Iczer several times my not playing any units, only using damaging grimoires. He had to delete his own units while I reigned down fire upon him.

That's how I deal with it.

Assassin soul skill is becoming quite prevalent. Does our current Alteil have the same (or a larger) number of cards that Magic did when it started yet? Once there's more diversity, hopefully, it won't be used so much.
Grain

Postby Forsakensoul » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:49 pm

we have gone through this time and time again. Vickz is now one of the top players and he plays 4 assassins. He controls the entire board 99% of the time.
Forsakensoul

Postby Romdeau » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:58 am

Romdeau wrote:Anyhow I'm sure we're all aware of this situation

Forsakensoul wrote:we have gone through this time and time again

Yes we have, yet prior to this thread there wasn't a "Assassin is the new Lebeau is the staff looking at this problem" thread. This is irrelevant, but I have played Vickz twice and there wasn't an assassin in his SC line up; so apparently he switches around.
Romdeau

Postby Porky » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:26 am

I'm actually surprised when i don't run into an assassin soul these days, its all about guessing where it is.
If the idea is to promote variety in soul skills then it is ruining the game, but otherwise its okay.
You can't exactly compare it to Lebeu as Lebeu can't ever backfire nor countered strategically. (Please don't argue the point of prevalence)

But yes, I pack an assassin in almost all my decks, its utility is indeed fantastic, the hard part is playing someone for the first time but everytime after it you should know where the assassin is and deal with it accordingly, and make them pay!

It is over-used but its that good, remember in set 1 when row killers were also quite predominant? I agree that with the introduction of more cards, other soul skills may take its place, but right now, assassin soul can often win or lose a game for you, but so can other soul cards and luck in general.

If assassin was to be changed, it would definitely affect the meta, for better or worse who knows=/
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby Grain » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:28 am

Porky wrote:I'm actually surprised when i don't run into an assassin soul these days, its all about guessing where it is.
If the idea is to promote variety in soul skills then it is ruining the game, but otherwise its okay.
You can't exactly compare it to Lebeu as Lebeu can't ever backfire nor countered strategically. (Please don't argue the point of prevalence)

But yes, I pack an assassin in almost all my decks, its utility is indeed fantastic, the hard part is playing someone for the first time but everytime after it you should know where the assassin is and deal with it accordingly, and make them pay!

It is over-used but its that good, remember in set 1 when row killers were also quite predominant? I agree that with the introduction of more cards, other soul skills may take its place, but right now, assassin soul can often win or lose a game for you, but so can other soul cards and luck in general.

If assassin was to be changed, it would definitely affect the meta, for better or worse who knows=/

I used those row killers because I had no money.
Grain

Postby ANIMEniac » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:36 am

The assassin issue has been bought up before. The card is very powerful for field control. What really kills it is the type of deck put together to abuse 4x of these. Expect to see a primary tank followed by constant weenies. Falkow just abuses the removal concept even further with Returns and Cyclones. It is a very annoying deck to play, since every weenie is easy fodder for the Assassin Soul. You will constantly lose all the creatures that matter, leaving you free to be hit direct.

There are ways to deal with it, but still a very tough deck to crack. If you get the edge it goes downhill for him, but once you are down you won't come back either. I see it as a very cheesy deck from what I've seen of it.
ANIMEniac

Postby Porky » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:58 am

shouldn't this be in anarose's sanctum? its quite strategical isn't it=?
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby Romdeau » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:16 am

Porky wrote:shouldn't this be in anarose's sanctum? its quite strategical isn't it=?

I don't feel like the purpose of this thread is to discuss how to use assassin or to counter it, we're all familiar with that-and yes as I've stated this topic has been discussed and I don't feel like repeating myself as to why I chose to create this thread (not directed at you Porky).
Romdeau

Postby neonsun » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:37 am

well finally people listen to xovian lol
this card was a problem since set 1 but everybody was "tooo concentrated" on stupid lebeau.
Now that their is 2 different assassins (6 allowable cards in total) people wake up ..... anyways your forgiven for your lateness :P

Going back on topic : Yes the assassin is a very bad card not overused but ABUSED in folrart. i don't mind loosing my unit but loosing my sp too ?? what is the cost a lvl 1 or 2 card to take out a lvl x card.

i mean the druid as SS strikes a perfect balance due to the timing etc... but this is just ridiculous. No brains are needed what so ever to pull off this ridiculous trick !
Every thing about that skill is wrong and i hope it ll be fixed soon or countered with something ELSE than a freaking EXpack.somehow i don't see how this can be countered in a new set without just nerfing the card :(

The only actual method to counter it today is to engage ones own units , or wiping out the opponents table and 1 shot-ing the revived sacrificial card. 2 methods which are frankly useless against multi SINS. (casting petrify or soul bind twice or ore on yourself is pretty risky)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAme health : 8 in folrart --> needs IV hydration + vasopressors.
HAving molerat meat for breakfast lunch and dinner ....Cheers !!!!
neonsun

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion