Wise but Distracted Recruiting again

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Wise but Distracted Recruiting again

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:26 pm

With the announcement of the guild war and our having several positions open within the guild Wise but Distracted is once again recruiting. NOTE: We are not looking to "rent" anyone for this event, if you intend to join please do so with the intention of staying long term.

Now obviously with the coming guild war there are some benefits to being in a guild, even more so if its one of the top guilds. So why pick this guild to join?

If you look over the guild rankings for the past couple months (heck since the games launch) you will often find Wise but Distracted in the number 1 slot, the number 2 slot, or almost always at least in the top 10 on any given week. We've gathered a group of very bright and talented players and the records shows that.

Also, since the last recruitment we've set up a private guild forum only given out to fellow guild mates and requiring a password to view. Within it we often talk about the current meta, the latest and greatest card files, whether we should be running them too or what we should be running to beat them. We've tried to set things up so this isn't just a bunch of single players with the same guild title, but a group who works to make sure we can all be successful together.

Also worth noting, I hand picked all of our members not just on their win percentages, but on their character/personality. The members proved to me whether through chats in game, forum posts, or other methods that they were kind and friendly individuals. This isn't just a group of winners, its a group of friends. Some of our members are more vocal then others, some focus more on their play, but I've let no one in who was a jerk who just put up good win totals.
-----

Ok so if any of those above things interested you heres a little more about what our guild is about:

We are the Wise but Distracted. Our theme is that we are wise people who could accomplish great things if we focused our intellect, however we are too distracted by playing games like Alteil.

Our Goal: To be a competitive, friendly, and well respected guild for years to come. We are not obsessed with winning but we do expect our players to be intelligent and either already successful or willing to learn from us to help them achieve success. Our members respect and are friendly with their opponents and know that ultimately this is just a game and we're all here just to have fun.

Join Requirements

I used to have level and stat requirements but I'm removing them, instead I'm going to let anyone apply BUT I will decide who I accept on a case by case basis. If you've never won a game of alteil chances are you won't make the cut, but even if your not the best player out their don't feel too intimidated to apply. I've let in weaker players before I thought were good people who've contributed to the guild in many other ways then just winning (and I'd like to think I've helped win more often through reading our forums).

So how do you apply?

You must send me:

A message (it can be a private message to my account on this forum, a mail to me in the game itself, or a post in this thread itself) asking to join the guild, giving me your win/loss record and your current RP, explaining why you would like to join, and explaining how you feel you can help improve the guild if we let you join.

Thats it, paragraphs aren't necessary, short answers are fine, but of course the more you tell me about yourself the easier you make it on me to judge your character if I don't already know you so if your worried by your record putting in a little bit more explanation might not hurt.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: Wise but Distracted Recruiting again

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:51 am

Just like to add as I've had to turn down a lot of people this time, that if you do get turned down, please don't take it personally. Although I do my best to contact people I turn down individually and explain why they were turned down, the most common reason for being turned down is:

Your an unknown. Its important that our guild knows who they are getting. Low levels who haven't posted much on the forum are really hard to judge. People who post alot are much easier to judge, and people who are already a decent level likely already played a few games against at least one of the members of the guild who can thus vouch for your personality and skill in those matches.

Why do I bring this up? Its because I don't want anyone to get offended if I have to turn them down, nor to feel that if we turn you down now, we'd never accept you. You may be an unknown now, but if you participate in the forums more or play the game more, your not always going to be an unknown, and once you've proven you are indeed the kind of person and player we're looking for we'd be happy to have you. If you can't wait that long then my apologies for wasting your time, feel free to join another guild instead, but I'd like to believe that because of our restrictions those who do get in know they're getting into something worth being a part of.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Grain » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:54 pm

How many people are you looking for?
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:45 pm

We're not looking for any specific number, though of course we can't go over our limit but at the moment we're not in any danger of that. Even if we do get close to the limit this weekend a few of our old members who have gone in-active may be getting removed (assuming they don't contact me to let me know their still alive before then) so that could also free up some space.

If your curious how the process goes, basically I'm the first the screener, I go through each applicant we receive and screen out anyone whose clearly not what we're looking for. Then for the rest, I put it to vote within the guild itself. If you only get yes votes (and "I have no opinion either way" votes) your in, if you get any no votes it depends on why the member voted no. Basically the other guild members just act as a second screen to catch anyone who might be a jerk and I just don't know about it or catch me if I'm letting through some one I shouldn't have. Occasionally they also help me decided on a borderline case where I could go either way.

So yeah, buttering me up won't hurt, but it won't guarantee your way in, especially if you've got some skeletons in the closet that one of my other guild mates knows about that I don't.
DanTheTimid

Return to Alteil General Discussion