Pricing for Alteil discussion

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Pricing for Alteil discussion

Postby Rasche » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:03 pm

This was taken from the suggestion thread, so that it could be discussed better here, with out convolution the actual suggestion thread. The topic is about how things are priced in Alteil and how these should be reflected, as what some users would like to see as "fair" pricing.

The thing is Ateil shouldn't be a game about spending money at its core. The game itself should be about the skill level of the player, and how well he/she can build and use there deck/file. At the same time casual players should still be able to play with there more hardcore playing friends, and this can be done by allowing people to buy cards for cash. I've all ready given my suggestion on how to balance this out, as far in game shop goes. The biggest grief I see is the cost of things, so lets take a look at the pricing of yu-gi-oh and Magic the Gathering cards, box sets and pre builts.

First lets look at Yu-gi-oh

Booster will range in price online from 2.25 - 5.99 USD. (contains 9 cards, guaranteed one rare card)
Booster Box will range in price online from 24.99 - 78.99 usd (contains 24 packs, 216 cards )
Pre built ranges in price from 7.99 - 14.99 usd

Now lets look at Magic the Gathering

Booster will go for 3.75 usd (contains 15 cards)
pre-built will go for 13.99 - 24.99 usd

I'm not sure of the currency rate between gran and say 20 dollars, or what these prices would actually translate into when turned into gran. You have to remember that Ateil is a virtual card game, so all the cards are available all the time. This essentially means the price on cards can never really go up, since the cards themselves never go out of print. The question then comes down to how much should a virtual card cost, and what is a reasonable price for cards that have essentially no inflation value ? Just to prove a sort of point back in 2003 a entire single copy set of Yu-gi-oh legend of blue eyes (base set) would of run you up for $649 USD. That's only one year after the base set was released in 2002. Back in 2002 a single copy of every card would of cost you $559.45 USD for the base set.
Rasche

Re: Pricing for Alteil discussion

Postby Icyman2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:57 pm

You can promise to stop distributing a card. Although look at what happened to ex cards.
All games are about spending at ts core. Why else would people make and maintain games? How else would they bring home the bacon? Name one ad free game that is free and has no spending options.
Icyman2

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Problem is with those other games you can re sell the cards you buy for a decent percentage of what you bought them for.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Icyman2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Problem is, this game gave away too much free crap so that someone with 100 accounts can make quite a lot of money.
Icyman2

Postby asxlen64 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:52 am

GonFreeces31 wrote:Problem is with those other games you can re sell the cards you buy for a decent percentage of what you bought them for.

you mean gon, with physical cards you can sell them for REAL CASH, while online card games, you can sell cards for IN GAME MONEY ONLY, you crack me up
NitroDino : the thing I don't like about blacksun type players is the only thing they want is to win.
Thank mitsu for this sig.
SMILE/IVEY: ふふふ、笑わせるわね。君じゃ、私を雇うなんて100年以上は甘いわヨ
asxlen64

Postby WhiteDragon2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:08 am

Icyman2 wrote: Name one ad free game that is free and has no spending options.

Adds... might not be a bad idea for generating some extra income. :)

As for pricing, it's probably better to compare to other online (card) games rather than to trading card games, as like already mentioned alteil cards can't be sold for real money, can't be traded and aren't physical objects.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.'
WhiteDragon2

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:37 pm

asxlen64 wrote:
GonFreeces31 wrote:Problem is with those other games you can re sell the cards you buy for a decent percentage of what you bought them for.

you mean gon, with physical cards you can sell them for REAL CASH, while online card games, you can sell cards for IN GAME MONEY ONLY, you crack me up

Recycle rates?

Cards recycle for a tiny fraction dude. That was my point. Reading comprehension ftw.
Last edited by GonFreeces31 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Icyman2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:30 pm

No, I've played other online ccgs (a tcg rather) before and I sold my cards on ebay for quite some cash b4 i quit.
Icyman2

Postby Icyglare » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Rasche wrote:You have to remember that Ateil is a virtual card game, so all the cards are available all the time. This essentially means the price on cards can never really go up, since the cards themselves never go out of print. The question then comes down to how much should a virtual card cost, and what is a reasonable price for cards that have essentially no inflation value ? Just to prove a sort of point back in 2003 a entire single copy set of Yu-gi-oh legend of blue eyes (base set) would of run you up for $649 USD. That's only one year after the base set was released in 2002. Back in 2002 a single copy of every card would of cost you $559.45 USD for the base set.

Don't forget, the virtual cards do not inflate or deflate. They are all a constant so that combat monk from the daily lotto can still be recycled for the same amount no matter how many are out there (or care).

Virtual also have that gran bonus for larger conversions, MM gran/daily lotto, and giveaways.

Anyone know the price of a current booster on Magic Online?
For a large amount of various Alteil Replays, try youtube link

<-- http://www.youtube.com/AlteilReplays -->

CEM guild brah!
Icyglare

Postby Goryus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Pricing (as in, how much it costs to buy a pack) isn't really the main problem. The main problem is that the entire purchasing system (i.e., buying cards at random) isn't appropriate to a game with no trading or secondary market.
Goryus

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion