Missing forum posts

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Missing forum posts

Postby MysteryMan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Many of you noticed that something bad happened two days ago. Some of you may even heard screams of ultimate suffering as those responsible were beat hardily with wet noodles.

Despite my name, I'm all for full disclosure when there's no legal red tape preventing me from doing so: we had a system failure. The restoration from the system failure resulted in data loss on the live forums.

The tech stuff:
We run our servers on virtual machines. This gives us two major advantages - first, should one system become a bottleneck, we seamlessly give it more power or move it to a faster box. Second, should something go hideously wrong, such as a meteorite hit our servers, we can restore entire system images from backup in about an hour.

In fact, in two weeks we are planned to simulate critical failure on various machines of our test network to see how our tolerance works in reality. Unfortunately, murphy's law kicked in and decided to break one of our servers before our tolerance tests were completed. Losing posts on the forums was the result

Going forward:
In regards to the servers, we are getting things ready for public testing, hardening the environment and doing internal smoke testing. The SQL farm is being upgraded as we speak. We are pushing additional fail-over servers online on Monday.

The real improvement will come next week when we will try our darnedest to destroy our test network then see what flaws still exist that we can improve upon.

Summary
We lost a few days of data on the forums due to a server failure. The chance of this happening again is possible but unlikely. In two weeks we are undergoing a series of tests and simulations so we can change "unlikely" to "neigh impossible". For now your posts should be safe.
MysteryMan

Re: Missing forum posts

Postby kore » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Hai,

1st Hai
2nd Who are you?
3rd Thanks for info :D
kore

Postby rsvlito » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:10 pm

I did notice some of my posts disappeared. They were silly so it matters not.
I shouldn't have bit my fingernails, now it hurts to pick my nose :(

"Less QQ more pewpew"
"They See Me Rollin They Hatin"
"Haters Gonna Hate!"

Gowen = Fire
Fire = Intensity
Intensity = Power
Power = Win
rsvlito

Postby Callonia » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:15 pm

kore, if i remember correctly, mysteryman is logress's friend.
Callonia

Postby Peralisc9001 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:00 pm

We could get a free post count increase promotion, to make up for the little inconvenience we suffered. :lol:
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby asxlen64 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:18 pm

its ok, $#!T happens. good luck getting the system working correctly.
NitroDino : the thing I don't like about blacksun type players is the only thing they want is to win.
Thank mitsu for this sig.
SMILE/IVEY: ふふふ、笑わせるわね。君じゃ、私を雇うなんて100年以上は甘いわヨ
asxlen64

Postby Romdeau » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:14 pm

This is one of Logress' new partners, as you can tell he provides technical support. Beyond that, it's up to him to disclose who he is.
Romdeau

Postby MysteryMan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Romdeau wrote:This is one of Logress' new partners, as you can tell he provides technical support. Beyond that, it's up to him to disclose who he is.

New development as well (which you will see shortly).
MysteryMan

Postby Icyglare » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 pm

MysteryMan wrote:
Romdeau wrote:This is one of Logress' new partners, as you can tell he provides technical support. Beyond that, it's up to him to disclose who he is.

New development as well (which you will see shortly).

There used to be a person who worked for the Alteil empire and was diligent in his duties following ordersImage

But now, with the empire gone, there is a new person trying to save us. Who is this MysteryMan?Image
Last edited by Icyglare on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a large amount of various Alteil Replays, try youtube link

<-- http://www.youtube.com/AlteilReplays -->

CEM guild brah!
Icyglare

Postby asxlen64 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:10 pm

i could care less who he is, but i can tell hes doing a great job so far.
NitroDino : the thing I don't like about blacksun type players is the only thing they want is to win.
Thank mitsu for this sig.
SMILE/IVEY: ふふふ、笑わせるわね。君じゃ、私を雇うなんて100年以上は甘いわヨ
asxlen64

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion