Good news, everyone

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Good news, everyone

Postby gabotheplaya » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 am

Login from alteil.com not working... so it ISN'T open yet?
ImageImage
gabotheplaya

Postby quickdragon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 am

I wake up, walk my dog and thought: oh yeah, alteil is back. I go to your site and see the LOGIN button, click on it and this is what i get:

This site is currently not available...

Checkout Windows Azure Web Sites to learn more about creating and publishing to the Web quickly and easily.

:'(

+ is cyberdex a GM?
quickdragon

Postby kore » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:08 am

I think they are still doing maintaince every 24 hrs ;)
kore

Postby Sadgasm2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:16 am

I'm still logged in, but there's only two people in Folart, they're having a private battle, and one guy in the Single Player Arena. See if you can find a way around the login.
Sadgasm2

Postby NitroDino » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:10 am

The login page is up now!
NitroDino

Postby MysteryMan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:12 am

Login server is back up.

http://redmine.apocoplay.com/issues/27

What happened:
As you know, we just launched.

Our own dedicated servers didn't even feel a dent from the load and were on call to upgrade them on a moment's notice. Our dedicated servers host everything but login.

Our login uses Azure and that's what failed.

We use the ridiculously expensive Microsoft Azure for new development (right now, just Login) because it is supposed to scale to handle any load (plus Microsoft is one of our sponsors and we wanted let them have a success story). Microsoft's pitch is to use Azure for launches so you are assured you are stable and online. When I woke up our Azure account was suspended for overuse. If our own server farm handled that amount of traffic and power we would use less than 1% of our idle resources.

Should something happen to one of our own servers (not just them being down - even just something looking odd) Vadym configured it we can get a text message waking us up should something go wrong when we are sleeping. Azure didn't even send us a notice over e-mail.

I applied a patch that should get us through the week - but unless I get sufficient assurance that this will never happen again from Microsoft by Tuesday (that I believe) we are either moving the login server to our proven dedicated machines or EC2.

edit: What this means is in the worst case scenario we may experience one more bump in the next couple days but that's it. One of the good things about our current setup is that if a service provider does not meet our expectations we can easily move to one that does with minimal effort.

On the upside, this is why we have a one week limited launch - to get out any kinks that we can't find before the main launch.
MysteryMan

Postby sunbunman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:33 am

It appears that I can't login with my password, but i can login via facebook
Falkow {Water | Fluidity = Elusion} ∈ Win
sunbunman

Postby MysteryMan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 am

sunbunman wrote:It appears that I can't login with my password, but i can login via facebook

Is this because you are having trouble with your security questions or because Azure is giving you technical issues?
MysteryMan

Postby MysteryMan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 am

gabotheplaya wrote:Login from alteil.com not working... so it ISN'T open yet?

There was a bug that got fixed (see my above post for a long explenation). Should be good now.

Making sure it doesn't happen again.
MysteryMan

Postby sunbunman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:27 am

MysteryMan wrote:
sunbunman wrote:It appears that I can't login with my password, but i can login via facebook

Is this because you are having trouble with your security questions or because Azure is giving you technical issues?

The security question worked for me and I managed to update my password, but it doesn't accept my password when I try to logon for some reason
Falkow {Water | Fluidity = Elusion} ∈ Win
sunbunman

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion