Sprint #2 (sneak peak)

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Sprint #2 (sneak peak)

Postby MysteryMan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 am

Sprint number one ended yesterday and sprint number two will begin tomorrow. Tonight is our retrospective where we look at how the previous sprint went and look for ways to improve ourselves.

Depending on how the others got hit Sandy we may have a slight damper on some of our plans, but for now here is a sneak peak of Sprint #2:

The theme for sprint #2 is improving the new user experience. I watched people play for the first time and frankly it was a little embarrassing. People who had the game explained to them personally loved it, but people who weren't provided sufficient context didn't have that great a time. The major pain points are as follows:

- The first impression of the site doesn't give the user an understanding of what the game is actually about.
- The workflow is clunky and requires a lot of effort to do something that should only take one or two clicks.
- Users are thrown into a tutorial with no context on what the tutorial is trying to teach them. They aren't explained the high level goals before being thrown into the weeds.
- Should a user start playing, the current starters are a little confusing. Also, they aren't very competitive which can be frustrating to new players.
- There is no milestone at level 10. We have a huge drop rate at level 10 and this needs to be addressed.

We are breaking the solution down into two sections. The first is an immediate band-aid, such as youtube videos and better starters. This will help mitigate most of the pain points and is what we are focusing on this sprint.

The second is a more long term solution that involves a full rewrite of the site and some new functionality. For example, the tutorial will be completely re-written, giving the user a themed storyline. The user may be in charge of protecting a village from a monster invasion and be taught mechanics as the story progresses.

Current path to the re-write (subject to change):
- Replace the current card list with a KendoUI html 5 page. Better filters, better layout, more intuitive design, etc.
- Create a new file editor (that uses the new card list filter). Optional drag and drop functionality is a must.
- Start implementing a new html5 layout for the battlefield.
- Create a generic engine to allow a stroyline mode. Allow users to mess around with it and create/sell custom stories.
- Use the storyline mode to fix the tutorial
- Attach the existing logic to the battlefield new (or rewrite it in C# if that would be faster)
- Replace the old FMS logic with a SignalR solution (or similar better solution)
- Start experimenting with new game types such as draft tournaments and >2 player games.
- more...
(Load times should for the above take less than a second on a fast connection if possible.)

before anyone asks: bug fixes are an ongoing thing. they aren't stopping just because the first sprint ended.

edit: The "official" sprint #2 post will be better written. We are currently holding off on a new user push until the new user experience is improved.
MysteryMan

Re: Sprint #2 (sneak peak)

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:49 am

I'll try to make a youtube video for first timers this week. I meant to over the weekend, but I got caught up with work... Cursed grad school workload...

I liked your video but I humbly think there could be some improvements in framing and introducing the game.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Peralisc9001 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:42 am

MysteryMan wrote:The second is a more long term solution that involves a full rewrite of the site and some new functionality. For example, the tutorial will be completely re-written, giving the user a themed storyline. The user may be in charge of protecting a village from a monster invasion and be taught mechanics as the story progresses.

That's really nice too i think. But there are also few more simple solutions.

See for those that start out very slow you could add Lavato Heroes or Napoleon which are very simplistic games, fun and easy to learn, also part of alteil japan.
Not sure how long it would take to copy paste it over and do few "script-connections" but i imagine it's for you by far easier and less troublesome than doing some village storyline mini game from scratch ...

Lavato Heroes also relies on getting packs and boxes from shop and you need only single copies of a card ... most of the time.

Current path to the re-write (subject to change):
- Replace the current card list with a KendoUI html 5 page. Better filters, better layout, more intuitive design, etc.
- Create a new file editor (that uses the new card list filter). Optional drag and drop functionality is a must.
- Start implementing a new html5 layout for the battlefield.
- Create a generic engine to allow a stroyline mode. Allow users to mess around with it and create/sell custom stories.
- Use the storyline mode to fix the tutorial
- Attach the existing logic to the battlefield new (or rewrite it in C# if that would be faster)
- Replace the old FMS logic with a SignalR solution (or similar better solution)
- Start experimenting with new game types such as draft tournaments and >2 player games.
- more...
(Load times should for the above take less than a second on a fast connection if possible.)

edit: The "official" sprint #2 post will be better written. We are currently holding off on a new user push until the new user experience is improved.

Hahaha wonderful, but how much time do you think this will take to do? It looks like a serious chunk of to-do list.

I like the edit statement. Once you reach your goal i might agree to invite people.
Last edited by Peralisc9001 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby Ropey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 am

I very much like the story/mission intro you are planning. With cards as carrots, so to speak, on defending the village from the monster etc. Even if you don't care about the story it's a great way of getting away from the P Vs P that you are forced into here. Sometimes I would rather grind a child's story than face off against other players in a dog eat dog arena.

A lot of the time certain supposed adults in here refer to this as a mature game. Forgetting their own youth, their own children and any notions of innocence and fantasy.

Many of the level 50 and under players know they will get a free win from me to help them level up, if they at least say hi in the arena. A few I have PMed or pointed to the forums when they have asked for help, but that's about as much as I will do.

I would love to recommend this game, but sadly can't in it's current state. I hope that when this 2nd sprint is finished I will be able to do just that. I greatly approve of the way you have decided to move with the game, and can't wait to kill the monster that dare terrorise the sleepy village. :D
Last edited by Ropey on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My mind is not for rent to any god or government"

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby Callonia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 am

Honestly the old tutorial taught me everything I needed to know, only information that's missing was the character backlash which I found out as fast in crest arena, I read the words character backlash and went ah I see. Why people have trouble with tutorial is beyond my understanding so I can't really help out with it for you guys.
Callonia

Postby AngelicDeath » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Is that story mode addition only for the tutorial or will it be ongoing? I cannot recall all the different single player computer opponents in the single player arenas but it would be cool if they somehow tied into the story. I don't think there is anytime to redo those single player opponents but assuming that your new user grabbed a starter and headed to the tutorial. After learning the basic game mechanics he would progress step by step through a series of single player computer opponents roughly in chronological order that they appear in the game- such as an enemy magic doll deck with Belfyna. Perhaps the last opponent before graduating the new single player mission mode/tutorial would be a computer opponent running the new augments (an augment file).
Granted we are on set 12 now and without Shirozaki's assistance no one would really know what happened to whom etc etc.

That seems like quite an undertaking and i have no idea how difficult it is to script for AI running a deck but certainly, you could get the deck compositions themselves from several current users.

On a side note, i really like the way things are going. Getting the card database updated with better filters and such will be great. Next sprint perhaps a most used card page say in order of 1-50 or so and cleanup the way underdog list is done-there are several suggestions on how to do that in the forum.

Cheers,
AD
Nought's had, all's spent, Where our desire is got without content;'Tis safer to be that which we destroy Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.

Ne Obliviscaris
AngelicDeath

Postby naptime » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Strange fact -- there are 2 tutorials! One from clicking "Interactive Tutorial" on the Game Screen, and one from clicking "Tutorial" at the the bottom right between "Rules" and "Card List".
Might be kind of confusing, e.g. which one gives free Gran, or in fact, which one are people talking about right now anyway? :?:
naptime

Postby LoneKnight » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Yeah, the interactive tutorial should be the one you should be playing the other one should be removed imo.
LoneKnight

Postby shadowsketch » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:09 pm

MysteryMan wrote:S

I don't 100% understand this statement, it's too technical for me. When I did a search on the terminology, I understood it as replacing Finite State Machine logic with Signal R.

From that I get that you want to switch from a linear type flow to multiple flows able to interact with each other at certain points. Is that an accurate statement?

Also, \since you're planning on shifting from Flash to HTML5 does that mean you plan to take Alteil mobile?
shadowsketch

Postby AngelicDeath » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:54 pm

Mysteryman,

tying into that new user experience you are trying to improve upon (which I think is great especially since you are planning to expand to (ipad/android), I think you will need, at some point, to address the overall arena. I think Rom stated it well when he said Folrart is on constant Tournament mentality.

I think you are progressing in the correct sequence. Fix the tutorials up, provide the new player with a competitive starter-at least where one can win 50-60% given competent play-this may be too generous given current Folrart conditions. You don't want all your new users thrown into the shark tank and going up constantly against other players who are all out to win all the time. Whether it be win streak, treasure battles, collecting event Alteil managment over the past years has cultivated and nurtured a winner take all mentality.

One step in the right direction in my opinion (sprint #3 perhaps) would be to maybe cut the rate of treasure battles showing up (since you are doubling your giveaway) and provide the card to both winner and loser of said battle. Once your playerbase is so large then you could provide a "cutthroat super meta OP arena" and let those players go at it. I think so often many people forget that the reasonto play the game is to have fun.

Cheers,
AD
Nought's had, all's spent, Where our desire is got without content;'Tis safer to be that which we destroy Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.

Ne Obliviscaris
AngelicDeath

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion