New Players

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: New Players

Postby Scientiafide » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:25 pm

WhiteDragon2 wrote:Like with most of these discussions it's somewhere in the middle. No need to see it black and white 8-)

If you have the broken cards and play them without much strategy than surely you'll get a decent amount of wins just because the high power of the cards compensate your lack of skill a bit (especially if you play a less complicated files like prenerf dilate emana control to play, over something more complicated like EN). However to truly be good and get a lot of wins you also need the skill to go with it regardless of the cards you play. Simply put if a beginner with a starter can get 1300RP, a beginner of the same skill using broken cards could get 1650RP. Better players using those broken cards might get 2000 RP with them though.

Pretty much this ^

I mean, when I was playing on my low lvl alt in crest, I played this player with set 11 cards who was terrible. He thought it was a good idea to play overdose on his Augmented MD on turn 4, while only having 2 units on the field, over another unit. On my side, I had the two undeads in the lawtia starter (so I wasn't exactly gonna lose sp). He made a whole bunch of other bad moves as well.

Needless to say, I was surprised when I saw his win % was at over 56%. Usually when I encountered a player playing their starter this poorly, their win % was somewhere around 25-30%. Don't tell me the cards you have in your file don't make a difference.

Now that's not to say the cards in the starter are bad cards, because they're not bad at all. The thing is, though, simply putting together a bunch of good cards doesn't make a good file. It also doesn't help that the SS lineup is still kind of sub-par. I will say that the new starters are definitely an improvement over the old ones, but the stupid card restrictions placed on the starters need to be eliminated to create actual decent files.

Also Rom, I've met a lot of friendly new players over the past few days who seem interested in the game. Honestly, I'm guessing it's just that most newbies aren't aware that these forums exist. Either that, or most people probably don't use forums at all. I'd say the playerbase in any game that uses the forums would probably be in the minority. And who knows, maybe some newbies are lurking.

Scientiafide

Postby Savin877 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 pm

fargone wrote:
Romdeau wrote:I am quite curious as to why we haven't been seeing any new posters around the forums since Friday-it was quite a significant change (4 competitive starters right off the bat) and nobody decided to say anything? Something is clearly wrong.

I am concerned that not enough is changing and that too much emphasis on money gathering is being made.

There is an unspoken fear that Alteil has not changed and will continue as it used to. I am uncertain of the future here. If there are a lot of others feeling the same way, this will be stunting growth and impacting on people's reactions to changes and/or new releases.

I am personally concerned the new starters were released without extensive video support showing how to utilise them and explaining the game. If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you've always had. This job is not finished, yet you have advertised them.

When are we going to see something new to attract new players? Making new starters that you and I could do well with does nothing to improve new gamer experience. Lots of half finished jobs does not impress people, new or old. The emails that go out reminding everyone that altiel is "open" without the words "in development" is also misleading people into thinking it's finished. Not everyone reads the forums, nor should they have to.

This
Savin877

Postby worthing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 pm

You must be this old to the community to reach gadu's acceptance. A fitting sig?
worthing

Postby shadowsketch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Romdeau wrote:I am quite curious as to why we haven't been seeing any new posters around the forums since Friday-it was quite a significant change (4 competitive starters right off the bat) and nobody decided to say anything? Something is clearly wrong.

I don't even know if the new players know there are forums. The only notice I've seen is on the home page, so I don't think many players are seeing that.

In addition, I think some new players are afraid of posting. Some people on the forums just seem unfriendly.
shadowsketch

Postby worthing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 pm

shadowsketch wrote:

I don't even know if the new players know there are forums. The only notice I've seen is on the home page, so I don't think many players are seeing that.

In addition, I think some new players are afraid of posting. Some people on the forums just seem unfriendly.

sums it up
worthing

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:10 pm

I don't want new players to come to these forums. It's a festering pit right now (plus it looks pretty unprofessional imo, like a free RPG forum or something. Gives a bad impression).
LoneKnight

Postby justtmpuser » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:24 pm

gadu wrote:I've steadily seen more new players. I hate them. They do not offer any challenge.

Completely valid point, doesn't make you sound like retarded **** at all. We all know that new players should be top 1%, uber challenging demigods. Damn those stupid n00bs, how dare they not know how to play! Ban them all I say!

I explain how they can improve and point them to the forum resources, but next time I see them, instead of playing something that will help them learn the game (like the starters), they are playing stupid cards like Chaos Anna or Nerevez and putting all their chips onto those single cards.

Another justified and valid point. Everyone should play competetively and aim for absolute best since day 1. Playing games for fun with cards you like? **** you n00bs, every Johhny and Timmy should play MtG, Alteil is for most cutthroat Spikes only! Casuals GTFO!

Remember that topic I made all those months ago that casual players should have their own arena? I bet you were one of those who didn't agree "just because". Well, have fun playing with casuals now. And I can assure you that feeling is mutual.

Khiruki wrote:I'm worried that while there are new players, I don't see any of them enter the forums or chat. That's worrisome.

Not really, no. That's perfectly normal, vast majority of players in any game doesn't visit forums/wikis/etc. MtG has few million players worldwide, go check their forums to see how many actually posts anything.

tetron wrote:Nowadays its all about casual players.

As opposed to some other time when it wasn't? Other from artificial fantasy land that makers/testers of Alteil live in, all other games have always been about casual players, since the beginning of mankind.

I'd personally believe that the new players just wanna play the game instead of hearing about better explanation on winning. They probably don't care if they win or lose, they just wanna have fun. At least thats how I view it.

Wow, voice of reason. So extremely rare on this forums. I sincerely hope you'll stay here for long time.

GonFreeces31 wrote:If you understand how to play the game you can succeed with the starters. If you don't understand how to play the game what cards you use is irrelevant.

Yes, because newbie playing serpent won't roflstomp one using starter. If you believe that cards don't matter, you should quit testing team, since no errata will ever be necessairy, it's all about skill.

1. For new players it doesn't matter how competetive starter is in Folrart if they play them against similarly powerful starters in Crest.
2. Pricing is still as ridiculously high as ever.
3. Starters have a lot of cards same as prebuilds, so some may feel disappointed that they have to pay for what they already have.
4. People who just started playing don't realize they should come to forums and boost your ego praising much better starters, since those are the only starters they know.
5. As mentioned earlier, casual players don't tend to post right off the bat.
6. People are much more likely to agree silently and voice their dislike than other way round (compare amount of "return sux" topics to "you made that card very well").
7. There's forum?!? Never noticed, probably because of crappy layout of main page. Thanks for telling me.

fargone wrote:When are we going to see something new to attract new players? Making new starters that you and I could do well with does nothing to improve new gamer experience.

I really like it when fargone posts on his account and not BS RX, since he often makes good points, like that above.

LoneKnight wrote:I don't want new players to come to these forums. It's a festering pit right now (plus it looks pretty unprofessional imo, like a free RPG forum or something. Gives a bad impression).

lol
It only reflects cutthroat netdecking mentality of players. You of all people should know it best, since you're always hostile to any and all mention of casual players and their preferences.
justtmpuser

Postby Scientiafide » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:35 pm

worthing wrote:
shadowsketch wrote:

sums it up

Pretty much sums up any Online game forum haha

Scientiafide

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Ugh, no.

You can be a pro and not be a ****. You can also be a casual and at the same time toxic to the community.

... and honestly, feel free to chalk it up to my bias but both seems more likely than the reverse.

Talking of which, I also don't feel like I'm being hostile to casuals and not sure what gave you that idea. It'd be stupid too, casuals keep games afloat (even if pros are the ones that take it to its highest level).
LoneKnight

Postby Scientiafide » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 pm

LoneKnight wrote:Ugh, no.

You can be a pro and not be a ****. You can also be a casual and at the same time toxic to the community.

... and honestly, feel free to chalk it up to my bias but both seems more likely than the reverse.

Talking of which, I also don't feel like I'm being hostile to casuals and not sure what gave you that idea. It'd be stupid too, casuals keep games afloat (even if pros are the ones that take it to its highest level).

Honestly, I've never seen LK be hostile to anyone XD This is probably the closest you're gonna get lol

Scientiafide

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion