Forum moderation

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Forum moderation

Postby MysteryMan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:46 am

There has been a lot of talk about how to improve the forums. Most of this involved automated systems such as reddit style voting, but truth be told this is something that needs a human element, not a gimmick.

I'd like to do the following
- Create some hard and fast rules on what is acceptable behavior.
- Enforce these rules consistently
- Improve the look and feel of the forums when the second this happens
- Take volunteers to moderate the forums.

I'm looking to the community for volunteers to help moderate the forums.
MysteryMan

Re: Forum moderation

Postby Romdeau » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:10 am

Why not start with the current rules? Good luck to the poor souls who volunteer and are selected.

Also, what compels you to call self regulating community mods as a "gimmick"?
Romdeau

Postby Peralisc9001 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:40 am

Is there a deadline for submitting this?

I could get you some valuable ideas put together, but it takes some time which I might not right now or today. Maybe Sunday or Monday I will be able to give you a list with rules and also give good reasons for them.

Where would you like me to submit them.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby GonFreeces31 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Well are only like 10 people who post on the forums here any most of us don't like each other. If you guys could put an end to the endless personal attacks that would be great. Also, at least four people have forum signatures directed at flaming me. I'm wondering if in this new era of Alteil it is going to be acceptable for players to sport offensive sigs?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Peralisc9001 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:22 pm

If I were you I would link to those users' profiles and clearly state what I find offensive. We need clear rules and nothing vague.

I am sure everyone believes you there are signatures addressed at you in a personal and offensive way, but I wonder if 1 or 2 aren't just a joke that you pay too much attention to.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
Peralisc9001

Postby Callonia » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Keeping DG banned would go a long way in keeping his poisonous threads gone.
Callonia

Postby shadowsketch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 pm

MysteryMan wrote:- Create some hard and fast rules on what is acceptable behavior.

No joke, I lol'ed like a middle school kid when I read this.

But for real, I want to volunteer as mod. Let me know what sort of hoops I have to jump through.
shadowsketch

Postby angelspawns » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Forum etiquette:
- Please try not to display personal insults on a public forum. We want to keep this a friendly place. It's understandable some discussions may become heated, but;
- When you disagree, please state the reason(s) why. Posts that consist of only personal insults are removed and violators will be warned.
- The other person has the right to his own opinion. Agree to disagree and move on. If you have a personal problem with some1 there is a PM function and Foe List.
- In the end when a problem can't be resolved amongst yourselves, you can ask for a mediator by PMing one of the Forum Moderators. There's also a report function at the top of the Forums to file in a complaint.

- Have fun! We can all tollerate a good joke. The only thing we don't like to see is topics getting clouded by flaming and personal vendetta's. Save that sht for PM.

Violators may recieve a warning or ban, depending on the severity of the situation.
Last edited by angelspawns on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelspawns

Postby Peralisc9001 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Mods shouldn't be able to ban, since it all comes down to favoritism and personal grudge.
~ Retired ~
Peralisc9001

Postby angelspawns » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 pm

It's only there to use after the warnings. Most bans should be temporary and as very last 'solution' to show you're serious about something.

I have banned as Forum Mod and never had ANY1 complain to me. It was always clear why in advance, and what was and wasn't tollerated. People will know when they stepped over that line and bring it on themselves. (i banned maybe 4 or 5 in a 3 year run, with more then 100 active people at any given time of the day!)
A ban-happy mod is never a good Mod. You don't want the feeling of dictatorship on the forums, just moderation.

I may actually apply for this. Been forum Mod for around 3 years for RebirthRO. I just lost interest in the game itself and moved on. They never closed my Forum Mod account saying i could always come back... not even last time i checked after 2 years of silence. (lol) They probably just forgot about it though.... :roll:
angelspawns

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion