Forum moderation

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Forum moderation

Postby Peralisc9001 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

There's a simple way to avoid the need to ban, aside from bots and spammers.

Mids are better of as 'cleaning women'.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby neviscus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:54 pm

I would just like to say this is not only welcome, but long overdue. I think the rules in place are all very good, and we should focus on them. If I were to pick ones to be the ones to really hit hard and focus on I would pick these

1. respect and be courteous of fellow users and moderators.
2.Stay on topic
3. Do not harass other users
4. Do not write posts that contribute nothing to the discussion.

Anyway, I think just having someone in place would dissolve some of the issues. Although I do worry about having a community member as a moderator. I certainly hope whoever it is can put bias aside.
neviscus

Postby GonFreeces31 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:46 pm

angelspawns wrote:I may actually apply for this.

Do it! I'd vote for you.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby AquasFire3 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm

all i can say gms please be very careful in who you pick
AquasFire3

Postby harvest4god » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 pm

I will volunteer my services.
harvest4god

Postby Peralisc9001 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:50 pm

MysteryMan wrote:There has been a lot of talk about how to improve the forums. Most of this involved automated systems such as reddit style voting, but truth be told this is something that needs a human element, not a gimmick.

I'd like to do the following
- Create some hard and fast rules on what is acceptable behavior.
- Enforce these rules consistently
- Improve the look and feel of the forums when the second this happens
- Take volunteers to moderate the forums.

I'm looking to the community for volunteers to help moderate the forums.

Here are my set of rules and improvements for a better forum, but also the reasons behind them:

First of all no bans, unless it's a bot or someone outrageously spamming the forums. You want to keep as many customers happy as possible.
With ignore functionality that blocks someone's posts completely and doesn't show them at all one can at least moderate what messages he can see and who is blocked / banned from his view for good. In which case a ban is not needed. And most of all mods can't ban since they turned out to not be capable mods in the past which preferred to dwell in favoritism and personal grudge.

Signatures are fine if they quote someone as long as they provide a link to the post they are quoting in order to avoid quoting out of context which is basically "trolling".
Quoting someone can be important and/or beneficial, however quoting someone out of context could be just as a slander or distorting the user's image. Not sure if this is the case for gon, still have to see the signatures he is complaining about.

Bringing up old threads is alright, because you might want to bring something new up and contribue to the old discussion.
Also you want have been gone for sometime and once you returned find out the conversation didn't reach it's conclusion and you'd like to know what changed since then in that regard. It would make MUCH MORE sense to be able to continue the old discussion which contains all the previous debate and arguments brought up than to open a new thread.

Randomly stirring up the water such as posting silly comments "THIS IS WHY I DON'T LIKE THE COMMUNITY" and gon does in every other topic, shouldn't be allowed at all!
+ it's offtopic, which again shouldn't be allowed.

Only kind of offtopic which should be allowed isn't really offtopic, but rather comparisons made to other cards when you are discussing a card for example.

Double post makes sense if your second post has a different ontopic issue that you want to point out. For example see the set 12 thread posted by infernity fan. Sometimes it so happens that in the middle of the thread you have something important to say that is better of separated.

There has to be a thumbs down/ thumbs up feature on posts. Often people simply agree completely with a post and it's sort of awkward to make a new post just to write +1 or THIS or some stupid message like that.
See for example mangahelpers forums where you can give a thank you to helpful people. It helps highlighting the useful posts.

Mods are cleaners and should be kept as such. You should take care of core issue related to forum community such as bans because at the end of the day it's your customers and you need to make sure they are happy.
Also i would like to see mod accounts separated from user accounts. I find this more professional. Give the moderator accounts a name of an alteil card (one of their choice for example) and moderators should stick to merely moderating, not spamming one liners (yes, this did occur in the past and it was disgusting offtopic which the mods themselves created). For chit-chat, the moderators should use their own accounts and should be ignorable, since they are also volunteers and thus costumers like anyone else. Not everyone is ok with SMS type posts spammed by mods.

Polls should be possible. Every serious forum has polls.

Also, i volunteer being a mod. I don't mind cleaning the bots from your forums. Especially the "buy new kitchen bots" need to be removed as soon as they appear.

~~~~~

Whatever you choose to do or whoever you choose as a mod, it must be something that keeps the happiness of your customers intact or even improve it where possible.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby CainHyde » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Well... some rules enforced is always nice.
Just like what Rom said, Good luck to the poor soul that chosen/recommended.
Please don't be too difficult on us. :p
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Postby Shirozaki » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:58 am

I am absolutely against picking a forum associate as a moderator, but I've already told you as much.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby Icyman2 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:06 am

I nominate harvest.
Icyman2

Postby angelspawns » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 am

I nominate Harvest aswell. Preferably AznApple if he decides to run as candidate, but both strike me as sympathetic.

The Forum Mod probably should be some1 that kept away from most of the forum drama. That's why i decide not to run as Forum Mod... not all people agree with my view. Trying to resolve them will be a pain when some1 shouts biased whenever they are pointed out to bad behavior.

That's why i'd advice you to step down aswell Pera. We both know our past behavior should exclude us from running as forummod. ;)
angelspawns

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion