Request: Balance Team Defends Errata

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Request: Balance Team Defends Errata

Postby Callonia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:22 pm

I made a question about aano and it went unanswered until I asked rom about it in chatroom.
Callonia

Postby Icyman2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

damn ggg is one too many g's. should be gg so i can say you've been gg'd
Icyman2

Postby angelspawns » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:37 pm

You don't have to respond to everything, you can also give people the opportunity to speak out to let them know things are open for dialogue: Hold a survey. (asking for opinions, like what cards do you like to see errata'd?) Post a poll or question on the forums. (when you're lost on a cards buff like Evangelion/Hymn, or offer some options for FolrartShield) Send an ingame mail with reasoning behind the errata's on cards.

May get you some more satisfying results and responses.
angelspawns

Postby hexagram » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm

+1 yep use the poll function in the forums more.

A poll to start off.

Did you like the recent errata?

options
love it
like it
neutral
dislike it
hate it
don't care

Plus the option to write text in the answer

'Don't worry be happy' Bob Marley
Too much negatively be happy and :)

Also new guys Worthings starter replays Remember use starter switcher at lvl10 to get all 4 starters

free player till level 190. If I can do it so can you.
hexagram

Postby gadu » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 pm

angelspawns wrote:You don't have to respond, just give people the opportunity to speak out and let them know things are open for dialogue: Hold a survey. (asking for opinions, like what cards do you like to see errata'd?) Post a poll or question on the forums. (like when you're lost on a cards buff like Evangelion/Hymn, or offer some options for FolrartShield) Send an ingame mail with reasoning behind the errata's on cards.

That's how you call in for help from your community and maybe get some more satisfying results and responses.

I made a thread for worst card in the game hoping some of them could get errata, but I know two of the more frequently mentioned cards got nothing: Raise Shield & Order to Sortie. Eternally ignoring Safira, not responding to critique about errata, and completely ignoring threads such as "Worst Card" says to me that they don't care what players think. I don't know why Angelspawn is even entertaining this.

Okay, fine. So what is their methodological process on deciding what cards to change and how they change? Since players are never told anything about anything, I can only guess that they have some obscure data indicating the frequency of cards used. The one's that are not used they decide to alter? Except, they've probably never played the cards that are never used and just make stuff up that sounds good about how they could be better, leading to hit or miss results. And if they miss, you can bet nothing will done to revisit that card for months or years *coughDALOScough*

On top of that, for some reason they ignore cards that are used unusually & frequently. For example, since when is it normal in Alteil to see the same removal SS three times in a row? Of course, they didn't nerf that SS despite it currently powercreeping every other removal SS in the game.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby shadowsketch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm

gadu wrote:
angelspawns wrote:
Okay, fine. So what is their methodological process on deciding what cards to change and how they change? Since players are never told anything about anything, I can only guess that they have some obscure data indicating the frequency of cards used. The one's that are not used they decide to alter? Except, they've probably never played the cards that are never used and just make stuff up that sounds good about how they could be better, leading to hit or miss results.

I'll second this.

One of the cards that doesn't make sense to me from the errata Orthos. I can see how the designers wanted it to be simliar to Orthos with the engage, but I don't understand why it's situational. Also, why is the graveyard removal after the start skill? I understand that removing three cards from game as a start skill is poweful, but I wouldn't consider removing say 2 cards at the start and having the auto skill the engage not overpowered.
shadowsketch

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Yeah I think the public isn't being unreasonable asking about the reasoning or thoughts behind errata decisions. In the past people chronically asked and most people would just remain quiet and not say anything. That's sort of been the norm for a long time now and has led to a lot of frustration among the playerbase.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby fargone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:34 pm

When I first saw this thread yesterday I thought, "It's a trap!!"

After reading 5 pages or so I think, "It's a trap!"

The comments from the players, particularly angelspawn ring too many bells to be ignored. I think he really hit the nail on the head in regards to the message the players are trying to articulate.

That is:

If you perform errata with no real goals, you will end up with a product that has no real outcomes.

The players are very passionate about this game, and many have been here for years. This is a community that has been constantly promised improvement that have not been delivered. I'm not placing blame when I say this, but it does shed some light onto people's reactions to errata. Everyone is waiting ever so patiently to see some improvements. When they see the errata having little to no impact on the game it is not unreasonable to expect them to have an abreaction.

Perhaps at some point it would be wise for the testing team and GM's in general to actually hear and respond to key issues like this. That is to say, next time you have an errata, why not have a goal in place for that errata? The example given earlier of making TGC martial artists a viable file is a great example. If successful, the players will see an outcome that has made some improvement to the game directly. Your chances of receiving a positive response to all of your hard work and long hours will greatly improve.

I actually think using polls is not a good idea, and this is why. They will create an avenue for the players to give precise information on area they wish improved. That kind of communication comes with an expectation of change. Given the rate of change and the current available man-hours, you might be setting yourselves up for failure in the eyes of those completing the polls. As things mount, the monster of what is left to be done, and possibly forgotten as priorities arise is not something any business wants to deal with, let alone one that is already chasing its tail to keep its customers happy.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby ForgotPassNotWorking » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 pm

GonFreeces31 wrote:Yeah I think the public isn't being unreasonable asking about the reasoning or thoughts behind errata decisions. In the past people chronically asked and most people would just remain quiet and not say anything. That's sort of been the norm for a long time now and has led to a lot of frustration among the playerbase.

wow gon really ...

spend loads of cash and you are being unreasonable for questioning the lack of improvements in the product

gadu wrote:
angelspawns wrote:You don't have to respond, just give people the opportunity to speak out and let them know things are open for dialogue: Hold a survey. (asking for opinions, like what cards do you like to see errata'd?) Post a poll or question on the forums. (like when you're lost on a cards buff like Evangelion/Hymn, or offer some options for FolrartShield) Send an ingame mail with reasoning behind the errata's on cards.

That's how you call in for help from your community and maybe get some more satisfying results and responses.

I made a thread for worst card in the game hoping some of them could get errata, but I know two of the more frequently mentioned cards got nothing: Raise Shield & Order to Sortie. Eternally ignoring Safira, not responding to critique about errata, and completely ignoring threads such as "Worst Card" says to me that they don't care what players think. I don't know why Angelspawn is even entertaining this.

Okay, fine. So what is their methodological process on deciding what cards to change and how they change? Since players are never told anything about anything, I can only guess that they have some obscure data indicating the frequency of cards used. The one's that are not used they decide to alter? Except, they've probably never played the cards that are never used and just make stuff up that sounds good about how they could be better, leading to hit or miss results. And if they miss, you can bet nothing will done to revisit that card for months or years *coughDALOScough*

On top of that, for some reason they ignore cards that are used unusually & frequently. For example, since when is it normal in Alteil to see the same removal SS three times in a row? Of course, they didn't nerf that SS despite it currently powercreeping every other removal SS in the game.

You offer excellent posts gadu regarding the balance at least. I am not reading all the forum. May i know why you waste your breath? Feel like your turn has come to do so or what?
I like Alteil a lot! Alteil is awesome! HAHAHAHA
ForgotPassNotWorking

Postby gabotheplaya » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:25 pm

My only reaction.

It was a good errata, considering it hit my grind file 4x, i at least know it was needed.

Think of ripples (no not the kind Jojo makes), you make a small one and it grows bigger... making a big one to start could raise all hell.

They could do better making these erratas more often though, minor "informed" changes here and there are good enough if they happen often enough.
ImageImage
gabotheplaya

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion