Why Alteil should stop focusing on cards and start focusing

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Why Alteil should stop focusing on cards and start focusing

Postby ChiYoung » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 am

...on community interaction.

Wall of text warning.

To those who know me, sup, I invite you to put your own thoughts forward on this topic so that we may have an interesting and thought-invoking discussion. To those of you who don't, I am ChiYoung, and I've been playing alteil for a while, and I really like this game. After promising myself to never come back after it went bankrupt, I still came back (due to some irritating and nostalgic emails). These are my thoughts about this game after coming back.

1) Old alteil was plagued with game imbalances. Cards were often insufficiently tested, or misinterpreted in a way to result in game breaking imbalances. Was it fun to have a complete sphere unplayable (refess)? Was it fun to have two cards (Ruuca and Dilate) completely dominate Folrart? No, it was not.

2) This was exasperated by a low player-base and a horrible purchasing system. New players were hindered by a limited card pool and inexperience, got crushed as soon as they got out of Crest, and often quit the game. The odds of the purchasing system was completely skewed, and no one in their right mind would buy cards unless there was a sale going on. The shop interface was buggy, and made people weary of putting their

This was a system driven crazy. I read once that people play games to enjoy and challenge themselves, to master new and exciting well-thought out mechanics, and to gain something in the process. People were not enjoying themselves, and were getting completely crushed. In retrospect, it was in a downwards spiral from the beginning. I'm not going to delve into why these problems existed, or what should have been done about them. Those topics have been talked to death. However, I will suggest one thing that should be done.

Put less focus on cards, and start promoting community interaction. If you did, then maybe newbies could be more supported, and be less inclined to lose. One thing that Alteil has over games these days is that even though it is really engaging, games only take around twenty minutes, and you can put it down and pick it up whenever you want. This means that people with a heavier schedule can really get into this game: Take advantage of this! For people like this, who don't have lots of free time, half the fun is talking to people and just reading the forums instead of the game itself. New players would gain attachments to alteil and not give up so easily. People would be more willing to spend, as they would genuinely be having fun. Obviously, this would be a long and painful process, but I can thing of one thing right now.

MAKE THE CHAT BUTTON BIGGER.

Half the newbies (level 1~50) people I talk to don't even know chat EXISTS. In making the chat button so easily overlooked, Alteil, you are making a severe mistake for yourself. You are alienating new people, discouraging player interaction, and wasting a huge amount of potential.

Please Alteil, you have a second chance. Don't take it for granted.
When the end comes, and enemies are rushing in from all sides, I will be at your right hand.
ChiYoung

Re: Why Alteil should stop focusing on cards and start focus

Postby Aoi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:49 am

Agreed on making that chat button bigger, or at least have the game point it out to them via tutorial or hell even make it a extra achievement. For me personally it took quite a long time before I even knew it existed.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby VertuHonagan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:43 am

It wouldn't matter that much. A lot of players are not from America and do not speak english very well. So they don't use chat or forums for this reason.
Train ninjas and save the world from evil on NinjaManager.com!
VertuHonagan

Postby ChiYoung » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Then why play Alteil US at all? Why not just play Alteil JP?
When the end comes, and enemies are rushing in from all sides, I will be at your right hand.
ChiYoung

Postby ForgotPassNotWorking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:37 pm

LOL are you asking why they don't just get lost from this server? :lol:

Well from a quality point of view, they are better of playing jp version anyway it's true. But won't kicking them out make this game even more inactive and make it reach a new depth? :lol:
I like Alteil a lot! Alteil is awesome! HAHAHAHA
ForgotPassNotWorking

Postby Scientiafide » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:46 pm

The fact that most people don't know the chat button exists is definitely a problem. Like Aoi, I personally did not know it existed for a good month or so until it was also pointed out to me. It's too easy to overlook. The newbies I've spoken to have also shared similar sentiments.

Scientiafide

Postby ForgotPassNotWorking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:51 pm

I don't understand how some can't notice it though. I personally saw it right from the start, but i thought i don't want to enter it because there is no point in it.

Then i had trouble with the folrart arena when i finished crest. No chat didn't help, but that's what i entered it for, to get some advice.
Probably most new players simply know this game is all about spending player wins so that's why they didn't bother to go to chat.

Which reminds me there were always a few people coming to chat asking for advice, lacking cards and then realizing the game is overcosted.
There were even times where new players were told to simply make a new account and pick other starter when they came to chat and said they were refess players. :lol: (funny set 1 times)
I like Alteil a lot! Alteil is awesome! HAHAHAHA
ForgotPassNotWorking

Postby Scientiafide » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

I think the main problem is that most people expect the chat client to be fully integrated into the game, as is the case with pretty much 90% of the games out there. When I started playing I thought the only chat options were the mail system and the option to chat with your opponent.

Scientiafide

Postby angelspawns » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Slowly the importance of communication reaches their ears. It's my understanding an integraded chat (not a lose tab under a quickly overlooked button) will be added in the new interface.

Another thing that new players don't know is they get a STARTERSWITCHER at lvl15, and that it gives ALL 4 STARTERDECKS.
Or how about the achievements. Seriously, as a message in the ingame mailbox?? That's the place for crappy welcome messages and event announcements. I personally hadn't even clicked the tab till i was weeks underway in this game.

Then there are fundamental questions that should be quickly found & answered. But it's a test on your patience when you want to know something as simple as the different ways of obtaining (free)cards in this game. It goes far beyond wanting a quick look around. It's scattered everywhere (and nowhere) about Gran. FM. Pointcards. Lvl Up cards. Achievements. TreasureBattles. Daily Lotto. Events. Etc. You're in for some serious digging if you want to sort out all that info.

Once you motivated yourself enough to do serious research you make all kinds of discoveries though. Free weekly gran. Underdog Achievement for free pointcards. Free 4 Starterdecks. Free DailyLotto... Info you'd think would be giantly advertised on the site as sellingpoints for a Free2Play CCG. But no. Alteils marketing strategy for all these years been mostly banners of (paying)events, sometimes months past their date on both front page and ingame. Very inviting...

Fortunatly the part about outdated banners changed. There seem to be plans for updating the site and changing their marketing. Lets hope there's some1 out there with a good feel of how to sell your product to new players.
angelspawns

Postby ChiYoung » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm

ForgotPassNotWorking wrote:LOL are you asking why they don't just get lost from this server? :lol:

Well from a quality point of view, they are better of playing jp version anyway it's true. But won't kicking them out make this game even more inactive and make it reach a new depth? :lol:

Well, now that you've mentioned it, I have played a lot of quality games with people who don't speak a lick of english.

However, I do feel there is a lot of wasted potential with the chat being so overlooked. In fact, I make it a point to get newbies to go into chat as much as possible.

angelspawns wrote:Slowly the importance of communication reaches their ears. It's my understanding an integraded chat (not a lose tab under a quickly overlooked button) will be added in the new interface.

Another thing that new players don't know is they get a STARTERSWITCHER at lvl15, and that it gives ALL 4 STARTERDECKS.
Or how about the achievements. Seriously, as a message in the ingame mailbox?? That's the place for crappy welcome messages and event announcements. I personally hadn't even clicked the tab till i was weeks underway in this game.

Then there are fundamental questions that should be quickly found & answered. But it's a test on your patience when you want to know something as simple as the different ways of obtaining (free)cards in this game. It goes far beyond wanting a quick look around. It's scattered everywhere (and nowhere) about Gran. FM. Pointcards. Lvl Up cards. Achievements. TreasureBattles. Daily Lotto. Events. Etc. You're in for some serious digging if you want to sort out all that info.

Once you motivated yourself enough to do serious research you make all kinds of discoveries though. Free weekly gran. Underdog Achievement for free pointcards. Free 4 Starterdecks. Free DailyLotto... Info you'd think would be giantly advertised on the site as sellingpoints for a Free2Play CCG. But no. Alteils marketing strategy for all these years been mostly banners of (paying)events, sometimes months past their date on both front page and ingame. Very inviting...

Fortunatly the part about outdated banners changed. There seem to be plans for updating the site and changing their marketing. Lets hope there's some1 out there with a good feel of how to sell your product to new players.

You make a really good point there, for example, it's really hard to notice a lot of Alteil's feature's from the front page. Take a look at this screenshot.

........also I can't get the alteil forums image system to work. And who uses KiB anyways ~_~. Have an Imgur link. http://imgur.com/l1SaWVP

The central graphic is HUGE and takes a a full half of what the webpage. Yet, it doesn't contribute to the health of the game at all. In fact, on the whole front page no where is there mention of free weekly gran, underdog, daily lotto, or the free starter decks. What a waste of space!
ChiYoung

Return to Alteil General Discussion