Hate more PLZ!: An advanced guide to Alteil.

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Hate more PLZ!: An advanced guide to Alteil.

Postby Harion » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am

i think this guide is superb
this isn't meant as a technical guide
it's more of a guide on how to get the right mind set
and attitude in alteil if you want to be a top player

i know most of what darklogos has said
i think he's even the one who told me mavel keeps records
of every deck he goes against and who plays it

i lol'd and agreed it was a very good way to rack up wins and be a top player
but i am in no way gonna imitate that even if i agree it'll make me a top player
i just see it as too tedious and too whack for me
i feel alteil won't be a game for me if i do that but a chore

yeah "notepad-ing" can give you that edge esp against repeat opponents
who never change their decks, but where's the fun in that?
i'd rather just take notes in my mind, and if my memory fails me, then so be it

i'm also the one who goes straight to folrart testing decks
simply because i see it a waste of time going to the training arena
and waiting for someone to pop up and agree to test decks with you
i also see it more valuable testing decks in folrart than in the training arena
folrart is where you will see if your test deck holds up to the meta or not
losing rp for me is no big deal since i can just recoup them
and ranking high holds no special meaning for me
i know where i rank skill-wise among alteil players
i play alteil for fun, not for ego boost

i do test decks in my mind while building them before going to folrart
i already think up what my opening will be against certain decks
and what to do against certain situations
i like doing theme decks as well
but like doing themes that are not very common or others have found too hard to make playable
monsters inc. was once such deck, lol
My goal is not to win, but to have fun.
But since winning is fun, I can't help but to make winning my goal.
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Postby Peralisc2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:52 am

Kamerynn wrote:
Peralisc2 wrote:I do sort of view grim spam as a theme. The theme of mindlessly spamming grims. So i do agree, but isnt it better to just call it abuse or spam? :?

The only reason for doing this would be that you don't like the strategy because you lose to it. I'm sure you'd never say "lycan spam" or "chiruru/cudgel cheeze," but these are said commonly enough among your opponents. The only real difference is that one is often negative, while the other is informative without attempting to pass any sort of judgment.

Actualy i win, but it takes much more skill than my oponent needs.
Lycans arent spammed and they are also an opening in some deck. I cant view that as a theme, you could say there are tons of diffrent lycan themes.

Saying that is a theme is just like saying that my scylla deck is EN.

And chiruru/cudgel cheese? Hm thats still widely spread and you cant define it as a theme alone.

The idea is that every deck has a theme of its own. But when i look at grim spam its like every gowen does only that and plays the same units. Thats they only reason i called it a theme.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Kamerynn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:20 pm

Peralisc2 wrote: Actualy i win, but it takes much more skill than my oponent needs.

Why am I surprised that you believe that? I probably shouldn't be, by now.

Peralisc2 wrote: Lycans arent spammed and they are also an opening in some deck. I cant view that as a theme, you could say there are tons of diffrent lycan themes.

Saying that is a theme is just like saying that my scylla deck is EN.

And saying that gowan rush with 6 or 7 grims is a theme (or "grim spam") is like calling it an allind deck with nothing but allind and grims.
Besides - I'm not arguing that this or that should be called a theme. I'm responding to whether things should be called "abuse" or "spam" instead. My response was: only if you intend something negative. Do you care to address my point, now, or will you continue to talk around it?

Peralisc2 wrote:I do sort of view grim spam as a theme. The theme of mindlessly spamming grims. So i do agree, but isnt it better to just call it abuse or spam? :?

and

Peralisc2 wrote:The idea is that every deck has a theme of its own. But when i look at grim spam its like every gowen does only that and plays the same units. Thats they only reason i called it a theme.

You asked whether or not it was better to call it abuse or spam. Now you're supplying reasons for... calling it a theme? Make up your mind.
Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
-- Terry Pratchett
Kamerynn

Postby darklogos » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:01 am

Update.
darklogos

Postby Phenoca » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:45 am

darklogos wrote:Small decks pick units based on speed, damage, start skills, and buffing.

Yup... :P

darklogos wrote:you don’t want to get all your hard worked for sp drained away by some Endless Night imitator or if by chance you encounter an anti-big deck that that has Broken Iron solder skill or some other skill that makes your Sp= 3 or some other low number.

... Zu. He gets me every time.

darklogos wrote:This setup is not relying on the power of your units but the power of your open skills. Open skills are like grimores but better. Damage grimores are one of the best open skills. When playing big you need to have a way to take out swarms. So you either need to pack a return type card like cyclone or a couple copies of Ball of Flame. The last mechanic for playing big that needs to be considered is the loss of your big creature and what that means. If you get assassined or your sphere level reset is your game over? It is best to have a stall unit or a second, third, or fourth meta tactic to save your hide. Big decks have the sp once the big creature dies to play whatever they need. Think of what you would play to save your hide.

Very newbie-friendly; good job.

darklogos wrote:If you are having a bad day and just want to annoy someone this is the type of deck you should make. This deck doesn’t lead to top …yet.

Hey - just because I'm curious about open skills doesn't mean I am trying to annoy people. Not even with endless Hymn, or Holy Shield stall!

darklogos wrote:how to make a return deck,

Whee :P
Someday I will realize that I should place x3 Returns into my file (now that I have x3 Returns)... But ever since Assassin SS, I've never really wanted it at all!
This is because Return comes back to HAUNT YOU!

Twas' funny, playing a bounce deck. By the time all of my units were bounced, I had Bog Wyvern out, and could play some weak tanks. Through epic luck, I soloed through three Mirelias and three Rasams with a Bog Wyvern (and a couple mermaids). Bouncing is difficult, and Folrart players will not fall for the same return twice.

darklogos wrote:The reasoning behind this is that, in most cases, every creature you kill is -1sp for your opponent.

Not enough players know that.

Or they are limited from killing things by their low AGI :(

darklogos wrote:When building a deck, the obvious idea is to be able to beat common decks and then account for all potential weaknesses, this may most likely involve editing a good deck as a starting point or if you want to start a new file focus on synergy between cards. A good/perfect deck for me is one where every card in the deck will see some use, to allow for greater utility and options for specific situations.

When making a file, I always focus on one specific card that I want to have perfect support in that file. If I pick Kesaran, I want my file to use Kesaran to most perfect extent possible! And ~40% of the time, I end-up throwing that unit out, in exchange for a better one. That is how I make my files. One card sees perfect use --> solid opening against all common files --> modify to maximize field-control in mid-game.

Then again, I have triples of multiple *s, so I can do almost anything with my double-copy units and get away with it via tinkering.

darklogos wrote:I always front line her if I do play EN, at least in the early game.

I have never seen that. Kudos.

darklogos wrote:This can include moving a sacrifice unit to the front row in hope it gets a hit, standbying units to allow others to kill it,

I have never done the latter. Do you use field-buff SS?
Usually if I standby, it's to tank an extra hit before reviving.

darklogos wrote:That said repeating the question: How will my deck win?
At this point, the strategies can be divided into 2 basic types: Field Domain [FD] and Counter Attack [CA].

FD: Having more units on your side throughout the battle.
CA: Killing more enemy units a turn with fewer resources.

Good tutorial.

And donating gives you the freedom to play like a newbie (i.e. explore) :)
Because I can play my high-levels via SP-generating grimoires!
I can spam mermaids and have revives!

Before Burning Spores... There was... Burning Sun + Lilith! I think Owl Sage SS needs to be replaced, but this was my file back in the day:

Owned.

darklogos wrote:When you figure out the winning tactic of your deck, you can select the cards for your deck.
(Or you can start with one card, like Black Dragon Rider aka BDR, and then think how this card can be useful.)

Yup... That's pretty much my life in Alteil. Substitute "opening" for "tactic".

Dude! This post is looong.
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby DWildstar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:54 am

Phenoca wrote:Dude! This post is looong.

Phenoca, in the future please think twice before replying to a thread that hasn't been active for six months. Especially if the purpose is to reply to someone who isn't on the forums anymore.
DWildstar

Postby reddwood » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:34 am

This is an amazing thread thank you all so much
reddwood

Postby garcia1000 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:27 am

Today I was super pro!! My guy was closed and I had 2 copies and I would have revived him but then I let him die and set the SAME guy in order to activate my soul skill to kill a row of back row units
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Postby luckysvn777 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:35 am

That is pretty super pro. Knowing when to sac and re-play is a key skill in the game.
luckysvn777

Postby Ginnazoh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:45 am

just dont try to sac and replay a character on the same turn...as i have done numerous times (thank god for training arena)

Newly set cards get opened before currently closed cards gets revive/sent to graveyard.

Thought I'd remind everyone about that as this is one of the mistakes i've made numerous times.
Ginnazoh

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion