Free game? Can you truly compete without spending cash?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Free game? Can you truly compete without spending cash?

Postby Danrlei » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:14 am

I just came to say that I was really hyped about the game.

I was really hyped because all the card games online Ive seen so far require real money to be the best.

So I came thinking this game would be different.

Where do I start?

First thing I did was check Cash shop. Then I saw that people could buy cards, boosters, decks only with real money. Thats a big disappointment.
I wont play because of that, not that I dont have any money to spend, but because this design decision garantees that this game wont be popular.

Can people acquire cards in any other way? Thats was what I was asking myself.

Yeah, I can, I can play ONE Mirage Master game for 1-3-5-10 Gran every day. One time. i was thinking, hell I will play this **** untill I can buy the booster box.
Then I realized that only the first win awarded me with Gran. You get rewarded 1 time, then it became pointless, worthless. Its a slap in the face. It would still be ridiculous to play that memory card game over and over instead of wasting real money. You waste your time, 30 minutes, or you spent like $1. Of course I would prefer to spend $1, but thats not why I play free games online.

Then I heard about that people winning cards ramdonly in rare events. You have to play many times to get one card. The rate in wich people get those cards, their quality is not worth the time and effort. You dont feel like playing over and over. You feel like you are wasting your time trying to get cards the hard way, instead of buying them. Its clearly a forced mechanic. They want you to buy the cards. **** that. Games that require real money to compete never succeed.

I thought, hey, real money just for the avatar and stuff. ****, I came and the first thing I saw was: "check our cashier, buy gran" "booster pack for x gran!"

Whats the purpose of fight money? To make your avatar look even more stupid!
Whats the purpose of the player time and effort spent on the game? It doesnt give the player power. Not nearly enough. You want power? Spend money!
People who play more, cant compete with people who spend money. And its just sad to think that someone spends just like $10 bucks has so much more cards that it would mean like 50+ hours of free playing time.

Ridiculous. In a free card game online I should get rewarded all the time, not rarelly. I should get rewarded constantly, not randomly.

And whats wrong with the "You cant buy/sell/trade cards with other players?" Another huge reason why this game wont suceed.

If that wasnt enough... What about the "You cant play with your friends, you cant make games, invite people, play on private games, you cant choose your opponents", Oh wait, you can, but it doesnt give you any rewards. Whats the **** point of spending time with this game if you cant get better at it?

This game has bad design decisions written all over it. It will fail.
Im going to tell you guys: you want money? YOU START WITH A HUGE PLAYER BASE. This game fails in the first principle of free to play games: its the time and effort spent on the game that gives power, not the money spent on it. If you force people to spent money to compete than it stop being a game, it stop being fair, fun, worthy of the people's time and effort. They simply dont play the game.

For gods sake.
When people will make a Massive Online Trading Card Game TRULLY FOR FREE (FREE TO COMPETE, not free to get owned by anyone who PAYED for cheap benefits), where time spent on the game will equal to power and not the money spent on it?

I bet 75% of the newcomers who read my post will laugh of this joke of a game and quit in their first 2 hours.
Danrlei

Re: Free game? Can you truly compete without spending cash?

Postby Aether » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:36 am

Yep, you figured it out. This game was a huge failure in Japan so they decided to bring it here to America. :roll:

I don't think you gave the game enough of a chance. I've been getting a fair amount of cards without spending any money whatsoever. You made it sound like it is nearly impossible and ever so time consuming to get cards without paying money. This is not true. One is able to level rather quickly in this game and with each level one gains one more card. Also, in the process of leveling Treasure Battles occur giving one a chance for more cards. With these additional cards one can better their deck, win and level faster. Also, with the cards one receives and doesn't use they are able to sell them and get Gran this way; Mirage Master is not the only way.

I would write more, but I got to go to bed. Later.
;a40 Accounts: Alpha 121 / Aether
Aether

Postby Awod » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:43 am

You don't want to play? fine don't. Don't bother those of us who want to enjoy a nice free online game.

Since you haven't played you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I can tell you have either not played at all or very little. The decks are very balanced and 1 'rare' card won't make huge difference because no card is indefinitely powerful. Each level you gain will earn you a card, the higher you level the better chance you have of it being rare. You can play and compete in the game without spending a dime.

MM isn't meant to be a goldmine but it is a good supplement, you can earn a card every 2-3 days from the lottery depending on which difficulty you choose.

You didn't take a very good look at the shop, you can't buy individual cards, You can buy packs or even decks but it's usefulness isn't as grand you make it out to be. The decks are just the starters, having another starter deck doesn't seem that great to me. Buying boosters get you 5 random cards. Or you can do the lottery for 30 gran.

Also, they're a business, they make money.. thats what they do. If someone wants to spend gran on a avatar thats fine but you don't have to.

Also, as the above poster mentioned treasure battles do occur you can battle it out for the card shown before the match. If you don't like it you can recycle it which can give you some gran you can use however you like.

Anyways I suggest you try playing the game first.
Eva FTW~
雲泥の差
Awod

Postby GunCastor » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 am

Of course you can truly compete without spending cash! If you actually play the game, you would know this. To this day, I have not been defeated because my opponents had too many rare and powerful cards. They won because they out-strategized me and a little luck played in to it too (random attack hitting wrong unit, etc). This was advertised as a free game, that means a lot of people will not be spending a lot of money on this game. Go to an arena and fight if you don't see what I mean. All starter deck cards are marked and they're the most used cards in the game right now.

If you don't enjoy the process if becoming powerful in the game, why would you play it in the first place? If someone does enter battle against me with better cards, I think it will be very interesting to fight the uphill battle. It's unlikely that I will have no chance of winning.

Even so, those that spend a lot of money to get cards get random cards. Sure, they have a higher chance of having a lot of rare cards but that's not necessarily so because it's random. Treasure battles are a lot more common then I thought as well, I got quite a few cards that way.

My main point is, do you like how the game plays? That should be the one and only factor that should decide if you play this game or not. Nothing else matters.
GunCastor

Postby ammms » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:33 am

Aether wrote:Yep, you figured it out. This game was a huge failure in Japan so they decided to bring it here to America. :roll:

Are you kidding?
Alteil is one of the most popular online CCG in Japan. It's so success that there're Korean and Chinese version as well. Not to mention the Japan server is celebrating the 4th year and will release the 11th expansion soon. It's unfair if you just say what you think without any figures or facts to support you :evil:
got light?
ammms

Postby Moozze » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:36 am

Don't you understand people work on this, should they just work for nothing just because of you? As stated before, you obviously didn't even give the game a chance. People have to earn money, this way they make some while it is still possible to play for free.
Annoying.
Moozze

Postby Illyasviel » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:36 am

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, so I'm not going to bash it. I don't agree, but that's another matter.

Personally, I'm going to continue playing this game (hopefully) for quite some time. I don't plan on spending a dime. (Hey, that rhymed!) I'm going to do my daily Gran grind on MM, save up for a booster box and get cards that way. I've heard you get cards for leveling up or treasure battles, but neither has happened to me yet. And no, that's not because I was outmatched against people with lots of rares. (Well, maybe that one game...) It's because I'm not too good at the game yet, but I'm getting there!

Ammms- Aether was being sarcastic, thus the eye rolling smilie...
Illyasviel

Postby ammms » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:51 am

Oops, I apologize for being over-reacted ;)
got light?
ammms

Postby Grain » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:08 am

Danrlei wrote: Massive Online Trading Card Game .

This isn't a trading card game.

In my opinion, the best way to get Gran for free is through recycling cards.

I think a 3 star card is worth 150 gran?
Grain

Postby ReibuOrumai » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 am

Wah, I don't get to have everything handed to me on a silver platter, wah.

Guess what, you don't HAVE to spend any money on alteil, treasure battles come up pretty often though you'll need skill to even win those so I guess that's not an option for you. Secondly you have mirage master where you can get a card every 2-3 days depending on difficulty (You get gran for it once per day, and it only counts victories. You can lose as many times as you need before getting gran) this route, if you get say a 5 star card you can get 300 gran back if you recycle it for ten more cards, even a four star will give you five cards. The third option is well, PLAYING THE GAME. You get a card every time you level up untill level ten, then it starts becoming every other level, into every 5 levels and eventually into 10 levels. However the chance of a rare card goes up. You don't need to pay to have fun or win, you need skill and patience. People worked difficult on this game, said people deserve money for making a very good CCG. Also notice how I said CCG, This is not a CTG because you cannot trade. Stop calling it a CTG.

You can't pick battles with other people and get rewards at the same time because one person can easily farm this him/herself and get cards through leveling and treasure battles. If you want to play against friends, use the training arena. Sure you don't get rewards but you learn and get better all the same. And while it is silly you cant friend somone without fighting them, just go do a training arena battle. If you're really lazy just forfeit and friend the battle.

Aether wrote:Yep, you figured it out. This game was a huge failure in Japan so they decided to bring it here to America. :roll:

Are you kidding?
Alteil is one of the most popular online CCG in Japan. It's so success that there're Korean and Chinese version as well. Not to mention the Japan server is celebrating the 4th year and will release the 11th expansion soon. It's unfair if you just say what you think without any figures or facts to support you :evil:

Sarcasm.
ReibuOrumai

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion