I spent money!
I guess I'm just a square then.
But seriously, you're complaining about a free game saying it won't be successful because there's a P2P option? Ever hear of a little game called Maple Story? I complain about that game almost daily, but even I can't disagree with its model and success. It's not rational.
And you could wing it enough to where you can make it out on top starting out on the streetz
. Pointing to Logress here, maybe we'll get a translated version of that blog sometime. These guys have to make money somehow though, so I don't see it any time soon.
Point to point, it's your discretion to whether you want to spend money on this game. You don't have to. You can. You don't have to. Whatever works for you. You're free to complain too. The guys here listen. You can't even whisper something without them asking how they can better appease you. You just don't find that these days.
What I'm trying to say is don't spit against the wind haphazardly. Give it a chance. There are ways to get what you need without dropping a single buck. To semi-quote myself (changes in itals), these are the main methods to getting some Gran.
You get cards by:
1. Opening an account (these can't be recycled, see 4).
2. Leveling (Staggers in a certain fashion).
3. Treasure Battles (happens randomly, believed to happen more frequently as win streaks go up).
4. Recycling cards (gives you Gran. Beginner cards give no Gran when recycled, so don't do it).
5. Playing Mirage Master (Concentration-like game. Gives Gran once per day. Takes about 2 days per random card if you're good at it).
6. Sheer dumb luck ('Gran'ts from events and other random stuff)