A Game of Skill

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

A Game of Skill

Postby Grain » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Is Alteil more of a game or skill, or luck?
Grain

Re: A Game of Skill

Postby Romdeau » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:44 pm

I think it's unfair to pin it down to either or because both have significant influences. Luck is rather obvious because sometimes you just need some luck on a gamble or to get that specific card in the lottery (less of a factor if you're willing to spend massive amounts to build your deck). Even if you manage to get all those rare cards (heard of someone obtaining 3 Lightning Chasers which is a little absurd considering he's a 5 star. However, if you have no talent for the game you're going to throw together a really **** deck and end up throwing your game although displaying some real rare cards. Someone who's exceptionally skilled AND has those cards is going to be deadly.
Romdeau

Postby Chronomaster » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:45 pm

Every CCG inherently has luck. There is few to none that don't.

That said, I can't say. I'd like to say skill, since matchups tend to have predictable results when both players are skilled.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Grain » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:45 pm

Proxy wrote:I think it's unfair to pin it down to either or because both have significant influences. Luck is rather obvious because sometimes you just need some luck on a gamble or to get that specific card in the lottery (less of a factor if you're willing to spend massive amounts to build your deck). Even if you manage to get all those rare cards (heard of someone obtaining 3 Lightning Chasers which is a little absurd considering he's a 5 star. However, if you have no talent for the game you're going to throw together a really poopy deck and end up throwing your game although displaying some real rare cards. Someone who's exceptionally skilled AND has those cards is going to be deadly.

You think luck & skill are equally important?
Grain

Postby Romdeau » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:47 pm

Yes, although I admit that sometimes there is a limit to skills influence-luck must also be on the player's side. A skilled player who just experiences a chain series of bad luck will regrettably lose.
Romdeau

Postby ANIMEniac » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:06 am

This game removes the whole "luck sack" in where an opponent draws the exact card he needs to beat you, or ends just drawing better than you do. The deck is "open", meaning you can play whatever. The Luck factor of the game comes from attacks and some soul skills. When you attack a unit, there is no specific target. It comes down to whoever is in range. Another part is AGI, where units with same AGI are up to attack, it will come down to who is lucky to hit first.

The rest is skill. There is skill in resource management. You have to use what you have wisely. There is tactical skill. There are lots of strategies involving how you place your units, predicting you opponents moves, and timing of your and your opponents SS triggers. The greatest skill is building decks that will benefit the most through the right units and SS combinations.
ANIMEniac

Return to Alteil General Discussion