so let's talk about EX cards

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: so let's talk about EX cards

Postby Tenkai » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:37 am

Detrian wrote:If you still can't see this is a retarded plot to make cash right off the bat you need a reality check.

Just for starters, there's absolutely no reason to mess with the game balance that the original creators spent god knows how long tuning and inserting a card ability that came much later into the game. If that was not enough to clue you in maybe this AMAZINGLY coincidental (and expensive, see below) release of cards that counter the #1 card players rage about might help you realize some stuff.

And then on to pricing, even if we were to give the blessed benefit of doubt to our admins and imagine the balance was tampered with for honest reasons, we'd still have to think about the pricing of EX packs being decided based on the flawed calculations that "most" players get around 400 gran every 3 weeks by playing mirage master (which we'll assume nets the average player 315 gran if played daily without exception), ranking (which we'll be pretty generous and assume gets you 90 even if that's impossible because there's about 3000 registered players and less than a 100 get more than 20) and card recycling (cards that cost 30g and give back 5 or 10 g most of the time except for the special few that get rares and the even more special people that actually recycle such rares) and then we'd have to discard all that seeing how this "calculations" are lies and prices are actually lifted straight off the japanese Alteil (which curiously enough not only get their gran cheaper but also get the card lottery at 10G a pop instead of 30, have 3 minigames to make gran off and get 4 cards per EX booster.)

Really, I'd stay quiet about this whole thing seeing how after all a business has to make money even if it's ripping off it's clients, but Logress' outright lies push this past business into mockery. Not only are they ripping you off but they are doing so with a smile in their faces and that is unforgivable.

Almost all points where mentioned in other post and I fullly agree with it. Especially the 10G lottery and 2-3 minigames which can get you gran. You could get a minimum of 1 card each day, even if its only 1-2star cards: they are already enough for new strategies. But right now it's just not fun anymore. And as someone else mentioned in this thread, the prices compared with other TCGs are ridiclous high.
Tenkai

Postby slashzero » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:04 am

A couple little known facts:

In the second expansion (I'll let you guess when that came out in the Japanese version of Alteil)...

-Refess gains a couple Lycanthrope units, which yes, are immortal given you have the sp during the morning.
-Lawtia's ability to inflict damage with grimiores, as well as their number of specialized units, increases quite a bit.
-Gowen's frontal rush gets even more frontal.
-Falkow's early game options improve dramatically.
-Refess's defensive game gets upped a notch, as well as their specialized offensive units.
-Gowen support units actually exist.
-Falkow's support options go through the roof.
-Cards with even higher levels are added.

If you can't see the difference in the repercussions of adding EX packs then as compared to now, go head over to the Japanese Alteil site (or the fan translation site) and see for yourself.
slashzero

Postby radishlaw » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 am

There are changes in the second set that improve the spheres quite a bit.
And personally as a Refess player I am really looking forward to it. (I mean, undying units in the morning? A lv2 revive card?
Units with 4 AGI? Hell yes!)

The problem is: when?
I would guess the reason the ex card pack comes out first is (partly) to "test the waters", and judging by people's responses,
I'm afraid it would be long till we see the second set in the US version.
Last edited by radishlaw on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
radishlaw

Postby slashzero » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:31 am

You missed my point, radishlaw.
slashzero

Postby radishlaw » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:36 am

slashzero wrote:You missed my point, radishlaw.

Then I must humbly request that you state it out clearly for poor people like me ;)
radishlaw

Postby teasel » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:41 am

there is a fantranslation site? where?
mmm anyway i think people are kinda jumping on this boat to complain about other aspect of the game,i haven't spend any single money and i still got a decent collection (i even have a 5 star rare,NO I'M NOT RECYCLING IT) and a decent win ratio even if it can gets frustating when i end up fighting 3 mirror match which i all lose because i'm missing some of the bigger gowen card like blitz soldier and magic dual sword wielder
beside so far i haven't seen anyone using EX cards in folrart,i'm not even sure that for terms of game balance they are all that big & scary that you need to have them or lose forever,as a collector i'm still really annoyed at the decision of making them 400 gran each :/
teasel

Postby slashzero » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:57 am

I was hoping people would take a step back and look at the bigger picture (Why is this happening, instead of what is happening and what can we do about it), but since radishlaw was gracious enough to ask for an explanation, here is the condensed version:

-Refess Lycanthropes + Refess Angel + Refess frontline + possibly Solar Prince = useful Angel card.
-Lawtia Specialized Units + Increase in Support and Tank units for certain spheres + Ability to wipe the field with a decent unit = Tactically useful Ex XXXX.
-Lawtia Grimiore Power + Specialized Units (i.e. not frontline tanks) = more use/need for a unit... that doesn't die.
-Stronger Falkow opening game + Angel = early field control.
-Stronger Falkow opening game + more Falkow support options = less need for Angel.
-Gowen Frontal Rush + 1 = Less need for a below average (special effects aside, for Gowen) level 2 unit.
-Gowen Support Units = More options besides a certain specialized unit.
-Higher Level Cards = More dedicated strategies.

What I'm getting at here is that the EX packs when they first came out did indeed augment some strategies and therefore were worth buying to many people. However, they also did not disrupt game balance or at the very least there were other comparable options for players to go for. Can anyone here say that something similar is going on with our EX packs at the moment?
slashzero

Previous

Return to Alteil General Discussion