Price tag on alteil cards...justified?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Price tag on alteil cards...justified?

Postby ANIMEniac » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:52 am

Is that why gas is so high now? Cars today need less gas...so since I need less...I need to pay more for it!

Sarcasm aside, I just had to comment on Ramon about what he said. For one thing, if I receive less, I would say I should pay less. Of course, theres many more things involved such as production cost, company margins, materials, and most of all supply and demand. If i want to make a product comparison, I would compare software. Buying a CD costs more due to packaging, shipment, etc. Digital copies bypass all that, thus are generally cheaper. What do we have here? Digital copies of cards...
ANIMEniac

Postby radishlaw » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:27 am

My beef with the EX cards are that except for the Gowen, they are not very impressive cards.

On the other hand, people need to be remind that they don't need the cards, unless they have something you want.
At the very least, after looking at the stats of the cards, I for one am relieved that I don't need to pay for these, as
they are situational at best and useless at worst.

Essentially you are forking over 400G for the chance to get one specific and two limited cards. The decision is yours.
radishlaw

Postby lupos » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:51 am

Illyasviel wrote:Now let's compare prices. I'll go ahead and break the laws of reality, and pretend these cards are actually real. So I go to the store. I can buy a pack of Magic, 15 cards for $4. Or YuGiOh, 9 cards for $4. Or Alteil, 5 cards for $4.

5 card pack = $1.50. wtf did 4 dollars come from? The EX packs are 3 cards for 4 dollars. But they are rare high power cards and there is no randomness. You know exactly what you are getting. As logress commented in another EX thread, man i wish we could keep these together, if you go to a store and buy individual high power, high rarity magic cards.... you pay alot more than 2 bucks each usually.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby EvilGenius » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:59 am

lupos wrote:
Illyasviel wrote:Now let's compare prices. I'll go ahead and break the laws of reality, and pretend these cards are actually real. So I go to the store. I can buy a pack of Magic, 15 cards for $4. Or YuGiOh, 9 cards for $4. Or Alteil, 5 cards for $4.

5 card pack = $1.50. what the heck did 4 dollars come from? The EX packs are 3 cards for 4 dollars. But they are rare high power cards and there is no randomness. You know exactly what you are getting. As logress commented in another EX thread, man i wish we could keep these together, if you go to a store and buy individual high power, high rarity magic cards.... you pay alot more than 2 bucks each usually.

"High power" is debatable. ;a33 :lol:
EvilGenius

Postby Justice » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:49 pm

I think the ;a40 is definitely high powered!
Stay frosty and shoot for the moon!
Justice

Postby teasel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:35 pm

you know i have been thinking about it but the only real card who needs a push to rankup in the current game is brave soldier,now do you want to play panther soul on him so he gets enough attack to one shot sea hunter/elite crest knight/bear killing axeman and he gets enough agi to acts before everyone (most importantly magic dual sword wielder) or do you want to play the angel and find yourself with -10 ATK and -1 agi and a weaksauce creature (even when ranked up she only has 20 AT which we all know isn't good enough to one shot most stuff,with 20 HP she goes down quickly and the "do 50% of max HP damage" is somewhat laughable because most of the time that number is either 30 or 15! basicaly the only real worthy skill is the soul bind one) on your side of the field? as a soul skill i have seen her once and only the lv+2/at+20 effect triggered,the opponent wasn't playing gowen but if it was all the 3 effect i would have expected to see a "HP+XX" with XX being the number needed to max heal so i think the effect you get is random (could anyone confirm?) if you just want an at boost why not play zagar or vordore in your SS then?
teasel

Postby Moratorius » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:40 pm

teasel wrote:you know i have been thinking about it but the only real card who needs a push to rankup in the current game is brave soldier,now do you want to play panther soul on him so he gets enough attack to one shot sea hunter/elite crest knight/bear killing axeman and he gets enough agi to acts before everyone (most importantly magic dual sword wielder) or do you want to play the angel and find yourself with -10 ATK and -1 agi and a weaksauce creature (even when ranked up she only has 20 AT which we all know isn't good enough to one shot most stuff,with 20 HP she goes down quickly and the "do 50% of max HP damage" is somewhat laughable because most of the time that number is either 30 or 15! basicaly the only real worthy skill is the soul bind one) on your side of the field? as a soul skill i have seen her once and only the lv+2/at+20 effect triggered,the opponent wasn't playing gowen but if it was all the 3 effect i would have expected to see a "HP+XX" with XX being the number needed to max heal so i think the effect you get is random (could anyone confirm?) if you just want an at boost why not play zagar or vordore in your SS then?

You get all three effects; +2LV, +20AT, and a full heal. Plus, if you have one on the field and one in your SS, she gets a total of 40AT; also, she's a ranged unit, so she can be protected by your first and second rows unless your opponent purposely targets it with a row SC (unlikely, they'll want to do maximum damage, meaning your front row with its monk/kurina/etc) or skill.
Moratorius

Postby Illyasviel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:50 pm

lupos wrote:

5 card pack = $1.50. what the heck did 4 dollars come from? The EX packs are 3 cards for 4 dollars. But they are rare high power cards and there is no randomness. You know exactly what you are getting. As logress commented in another EX thread, man i wish we could keep these together, if you go to a store and buy individual high power, high rarity magic cards.... you pay alot more than 2 bucks each usually.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what happened there. Some wires got crossed, or something. (Not to make the argument any worse, but if you're going to insist on comparing the prices to buying singles, then we should be able to buy singles, too! A decent mark-up, of course, but still! As well, I still feel there should be a way to trade between players. Maybe only players level 5 and higher, and only one card for one card, with the same rarity, that should really be enough to prevent cheating, right?)
Illyasviel

Postby Logress » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:03 pm

We've always said we're planning to more or less eventually have what the Japanese have. Except the exception already mentioned, I'm pretty sure they don't make a habit of re-releasing EX Packs. They do have an EX card lottery, although it's random and more expensive then the other ones. I see no reason we wouldn't have one, although to make the random distribution work I imagine they'll want a decent number of them out first. Worse case scenario, if new users don't have a chance at them for a while, then you guys who have been here from the beginning will play one and make them say "Whoah, I've never seen her before." As long as the EX cards and Angels aren't game-breaking, it won't be unfair. Still, I'm looking forward to someone to build a deck around the Angel of Wind and Sea's Soul Skill...
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby ramongoroth » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:45 am

ANIMEniac wrote:Is that why gas is so high now? Cars today need less gas...so since I need less...I need to pay more for it!

Sarcasm aside, I just had to comment on Ramon about what he said. For one thing, if I receive less, I would say I should pay less. Of course, theres many more things involved such as production cost, company margins, materials, and most of all supply and demand. If i want to make a product comparison, I would compare software. Buying a CD costs more due to packaging, shipment, etc. Digital copies bypass all that, thus are generally cheaper. What do we have here? Digital copies of cards...

Gas is so high because of lack of supply and high demand (and greedy oil & gas companies) but that's a rather big tangent ;)

You receive fewer cards per pack yes but each card holds more weight and meaning in a game that requires fewer cards to play. Think of it this way. Taken to an extreme lets say you need 500 cards to make a deck for card game and only 5 for another. I would expect a much cheaper per card cost (real or virtual) for a game with a 500 card deck than one that is only a 5 card deck. Each card has a different relative value between the two games.

Another considerable difference from Alteil to cardboard CCGs is set size. The base Alteil release is 100 cards. That's quite small compared to most card games. Many base sets are 300+ for magic, WoW, etc. With the exception of chasing the level 5 rarity cards you shouldn't need to purchase as much in Alteil as you would in the cardboard games. One of the big reasons I stopped playing wow was that even the expansion sets were 300+ cards with 4 levels of rarity (5 when you add the raid cards).
ramongoroth

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion