Confirmation on US getting EX Lottery?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Confirmation on US getting EX Lottery?

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:44 pm

For all the frustrations I may have vented at times on this board, mostly about card imbalance and a reward system that gives little to no motivation for people who are losing more then their winning to keep playing, none has truly bothered me more then this EX issue. No not the price, I do feel their over priced but when it comes to pricing supply and demand will balance things out. No what bothers me is the "limited time only". I understand why it would be done, but the fact of the matter is that it does FAR too much harm to a game like this and should NOT be done. If it is done, its a business practice that will not only, in my opinion, strongly damage the success of the game in the US, but it may mean that I will be quitting this game (even having already invested money in it) as I refuse to back a game that uses these sort of business practices.

Why is it so bad? Well I and others have already explained in other threads but just for a refresher:
- Free players feel alienated by cards they can never acquire. Unlike normally hard to get cards which may take years to acquire through free play, but at least in theory can some day be acquired, these cards are only available for a short window of time during which free players don't have nearly enough time to even collect a player set of one of the packs let alone all 4. This is a big blow to free player morale.
- Pay players feel held hostage. Normally a player can buy cards when a card appears that they want, but in this case, its possible they may not want any of these cards now, but they MIGHT want them in the future. But in the future they won't be able to get them even though they'd be willing to spend the money. As such they either have to spend money on things they don't even want now, or risk forever regretting missing out on cards they want later.
- Future players feel handicapped. Once this limited time ends any new player will always at some point come to realize, there exists cards in this game that they can NEVER acquire. Its hard enough being a new player to any game, players have more cards then you to start, but at least there's the hope that some day you'll catch up, but not when there were limited time offers you missed. You've forever missed out, you can never have access to those cards no matter what deck you want to make they'd be ideal for.

To put it simply, these offers are negative for everyone, free, pay, and future players, they all suffer. Its just a REALLY bad business practice for this type of game (especially since there's no trading).

Now then, getting to my main point, I've heard that in the Japanese game they've recently released a new type of lottery. I don't know how much the lottery costs, but apparently you get EX cards out of it. All my current complaints become moot IF it can be confirmed for me that the US will be getting an EX lottery as well (and that the lottery itself won't be only available for a limited time). In this manner the EX packs are indeed truly limited time only, the packs where you can control exactly what you get are never sold again, but the cards themselves have not become inaccessible to those who would wish to obtain them in the future. Of course the lottery would have to cost more then a normal lottery, maybe 150-200 gran still making buying packs a better deal financially since you get free bonus cards and don't have to worry about getting doubles or cards you don't want.

So please, I truly hope to hear a confirmation that the US will be getting an EX Lottery (and hopefully not in the too distant future) and that it will be a permanent, if perhaps expensive, way for players to always be able to acquire EX cards they missed when they were first available in packs.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: Confirmation on US getting EX Lottery?

Postby teasel » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:13 pm

umm i don't like to be a party breaker but you know japan has a lot of ex cards... if there was a lottery like that here it would be a lottery with... 8 cards,that wouldn't be much of a lottery
teasel

Postby Romdeau » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:16 pm

As teasel stated, I think it doesn't seem reasonable to establish one now, but perhaps several months down the road there may be one. Possibly even longer than that.
Romdeau

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 pm

By not in the too distant future I mean not 4 years from now (which as my understanding is how many years it was before such a lottery was established in the Japanese game), but say, a year from now. Regardless, the time frame of its launch isn't quite as important as the confirmation that one WILL exist at some point and it will be a permanent addition to the game and not itself also limited time only.

To be honest though I expect such a lottery will be quite expensive so even with only 8 cards in it collecting 3 of all of them won't exactly be a quick or easy thing. But again exactly when it comes isn't whats important to me, its the confirmation that it definitely will come and will be a lasting way for players to get EX cards whose packs are no longer available in the future.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby EvilGenius » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:47 pm

I would love this, buy I'm not in any hurry for the US version to catch up to the Japanese version. If it takes 4 years for the Japanese, it should take 4 years for the US.....and yes, it has to do with my paycheck schedule. :lol:
EvilGenius

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:07 am

EvilGenius wrote:I would love this, buy I'm not in any hurry for the US version to catch up to the Japanese version. If it takes 4 years for the Japanese, it should take 4 years for the US.....and yes, it has to do with my paycheck schedule. :lol:

I don't see how it hurts your wallet at all, its not adding cards to the game that you couldn't have already spent money on, its just allowing players who missed out on the initial limited time offers to still have a way of getting the cards from the limited packs.

Say for example 2 major set releases from now we will have lots of cards that can keep it morning constantly for refess and an endless morning deck will be a very viable and powerful deck that you'd like to run. The Refess angel, who right now is of questionable usefulness, would then have become quite useful and maybe something you'd really like. Unfortunately, right now, you don't know that that's going to happen and right now spending 12 dollars on her would be incredibly stupid because you had no intention of using her so you'd be effectively giving away 12 bucks for nothing. Now 2 major releases later those cards have come out and your screwed, only players who had money to burn and just bought player sets of every ex pack will be able to make this ideal deck and you'll be at a disadvantage for the next 3 or so years until the lottery is released and your finally given a way to acquire said card again.

That's my justification for wanting it sooner, but even that scenario its still better then having the cards NEVER available again, or only available for a limited time again via that lottery. I'd like it to come sooner then later, but again all I really want is confirmation that a permanent way to acquire ex cards will be established at some point and that they will not truly be forever inaccessible to me and every other player, new or old, if we're unable to buy all 50 bucks worth of them before the limited offer expires.
DanTheTimid

Postby Candi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:16 am

Yea I am with you Dan, I could really use some reassurance that they aren't going poof forever on October 7th and that at some point in the future they will be available, even on a 150-200 gran EX pack lottery. Something permanent because in no competitive game like this (CCG, Miniature games etc..) should army/deck components be restricted to limited time offers. It punishes more people than it supports.
Candi

Postby EvilGenius » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:42 am

DanTheTimid wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:I would love this, buy I'm not in any hurry for the US version to catch up to the Japanese version. If it takes 4 years for the Japanese, it should take 4 years for the US.....and yes, it has to do with my paycheck schedule. :lol:

I don't see how it hurts your wallet at all, its not adding cards to the game that you couldn't have already spent money on, its just allowing players who missed out on the initial limited time offers to still have a way of getting the cards from the limited packs.

Say for example 2 major set releases from now we will have lots of cards that can keep it morning constantly for refess and an endless morning deck will be a very viable and powerful deck that you'd like to run. The Refess angel, who right now is of questionable usefulness, would then have become quite useful and maybe something you'd really like. Unfortunately, right now, you don't know that that's going to happen and right now spending 12 dollars on her would be incredibly stupid because you had no intention of using her so you'd be effectively giving away 12 bucks for nothing. Now 2 major releases later those cards have come out and your screwed, only players who had money to burn and just bought player sets of every ex pack will be able to make this ideal deck and you'll be at a disadvantage for the next 3 or so years until the lottery is released and your finally given a way to acquire said card again.

That's my justification for wanting it sooner, but even that scenario its still better then having the cards NEVER available again, or only available for a limited time again via that lottery. I'd like it to come sooner then later, but again all I really want is confirmation that a permanent way to acquire ex cards will be established at some point and that they will not truly be forever inaccessible to me and every other player, new or old, if we're unable to buy all 50 bucks worth of them before the limited offer expires.

I'm more worried about the speed of expansion releases. If we get them relatively sooner than the Japanese version, yes, it would hurt my wallet. :mrgreen:
EvilGenius

Postby Chronomaster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:42 am

Though this is a bit off, I was talking to Dan about this a while ago. I do agree that making these cards ONLY FOR THE NOW is definitely a bad move for future growth, especially considering how fresh this game is.

I made a rouge comparison. UDE has the clout to do this kind of thing with Yu-Gi-Oh as they have (2-3 years in, the Exclusive Pack and whatnot. Then there's the Gold Series and yadda yadda yadda) and given that the game has a tangible presence (as in, while there is limited stock, one cannot be sure it is depleted, and one can still trade for those cards) it works out pretty decently. EX cards can't simply disappear, being only to a select few. This causes a very scornful playerbase to those cards and those that have the cards (back to UDE again; Crush Card, Gold Sarcophagus, Cyber-Stein. Those went for years without a mass circulation and everybody hated the lucky jerk that won those things) and is only aggravated by the fact that these cards WON'T be reprinted, that they WON'T be made available in the future (but maybe a restriction could come in play, especially for Units since it creates a liability. Of course, that would hurt repeat buyers and again we have a conundrum).

So in a sense, it is inadvisable to cease sale of these cards forever, especially being a CCG, especially being in English (tourneyjerk language of the world), although causing a limited sale with a prospect of getting the cards through another means later on is a permissible (if not slightly attrition-laden) path.

Or something. I dunno. I'm just jabbering on here.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby slashzero » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:04 am

Don't forget, there's no card trading in Alteil.

Especially since our EX cards were released before the first big expansion, I really wish I could plunk down some cash now for EXes so I can trade them away for cards that will be much harder or more expensive to get when the expansion rolls around, and EX cards go up in play value. But alas...

So yeah, this just augments what everyone else here has already said. No opportunity of getting a card at all < Opportunity to trade for it if someone else becomes disenchanted with their EXes. Puts us in a position under other TCGs, as far as limited edition cards go.
slashzero

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion