Hmm, opinions please. (Several questions.)

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Hmm, opinions please. (Several questions.)

Postby Illyasviel » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:32 pm

1. I'm reasonably good at Mirage Master, each day I get my 20. Up until three days ago, that is. I'm assuming nothing in-game changed, so did I just have a bad string of luck, or did anyone else start having trouble recently?

2. So for the time being, I'm sticking with 15. Since I'm already cutting my profits by that much, I've been debating dropping the 10 for weekly Gran ranking prize. (Although I'll probably play a few games during this Treasure in the Ruins event.) Does 10 Gran really make a difference per week?

3. With that being said, I am making approximately 105-150 Gran per week. I enjoy collecting the cards, and as of right now, I'd rank collecting more fun than being competitive. So should I: Get some boosters of the current set? Save up, get boosters/box of the next set in a few weeks? Or get more of the EX cards? (I succumbed and donated enough to get one of each already.)

4. And now for a question that should be completely obvious, but I can't remember the answer. I only need three copies of a card, no matter how many Files I make with it, right? So since I have 1 Starter Skeleton Master and 5 booster versions, I can recycle three of the booster one for 15 Gran?
Illyasviel

Re: Hmm, opinions please. (Several questions.)

Postby Candi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Illyasviel wrote:1. I'm reasonably good at Mirage Master, each day I get my 20. Up until three days ago, that is. I'm assuming nothing in-game changed, so did I just have a bad string of luck, or did anyone else start having trouble recently?

Holy 20?! Wow, I only get 10 a day... Maybe it's time I kicked it up a notch.

Illyasviel wrote:2. So for the time being, I'm sticking with 15. Since I'm already cutting my profits by that much, I've been debating dropping the 10 for weekly Gran ranking prize. (Although I'll probably play a few games during this Treasure in the Ruins event.) Does 10 Gran really make a difference per week?

Seeing as I get 10 gran per day from MM and 10 gran per week from weekly prizes I think it does. In fact, 10 gran is 10 gran and in 10 weeks it's 100 gran. For the effort of trying to play 1 game 10 gran is worth it. Who knows, you may win/have fun!

Illyasviel wrote:3. With that being said, I am making approximately 105-150 Gran per week. I enjoy collecting the cards, and as of right now, I'd rank collecting more fun than being competitive. So should I: Get some boosters of the current set? Save up, get boosters/box of the next set in a few weeks? Or get more of the EX cards? (I succumbed and donated enough to get one of each already.)

Boxes are more economical than normal boosters. At the cost of 14 packs you get 15! So, if you ask me, and you are thinking about buying a booster, save for a box. You get 1 free. As for getting more EX cards, if you think that collecting >> playing then save for your boosters and collect.

Illyasviel wrote:4. And now for a question that should be completely obvious, but I can't remember the answer. I only need three copies of a card, no matter how many Files I make with it, right? So since I have 1 Starter Skeleton Master and 5 booster versions, I can recycle three of the booster one for 15 Gran?

I do believe so. I've never tried to make a second file though so I am not 100% sure.
Candi

Postby erestor » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Illyasviel wrote:1. I'm reasonably good at Mirage Master, each day I get my 20. Up until three days ago, that is. I'm assuming nothing in-game changed, so did I just have a bad string of luck, or did anyone else start having trouble recently?

2. So for the time being, I'm sticking with 15. Since I'm already cutting my profits by that much, I've been debating dropping the 10 for weekly Gran ranking prize. (Although I'll probably play a few games during this Treasure in the Ruins event.) Does 10 Gran really make a difference per week?

3. With that being said, I am making approximately 105-150 Gran per week. I enjoy collecting the cards, and as of right now, I'd rank collecting more fun than being competitive. So should I: Get some boosters of the current set? Save up, get boosters/box of the next set in a few weeks? Or get more of the EX cards? (I succumbed and donated enough to get one of each already.)

4. And now for a question that should be completely obvious, but I can't remember the answer. I only need three copies of a card, no matter how many Files I make with it, right? So since I have 1 Starter Skeleton Master and 5 booster versions, I can recycle three of the booster one for 15 Gran?

1. i am having the same problem..i think it is just luck since the admins didnt post anything about a change.
2.no answer
3.do what you gotta do... i play mostly basic cards, no super rare, i wanna get my three angels but that will be hard..so it depends on how you card file is set ant how you play
4.yes you only need thre cards no metter how many files you have...so get some gran and get some more cards
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:05 pm

1. I've to date never even gotten 20 gran, there've been maybe 2 times where I did well enough that I could have gotten 20 if I'd been playing in the higher difficulty but only got 15 instead, but obviously those instances have been so rare for me that consistently getting 20 is not something I have any even remote hope of achieving. As it is I usually settle for 10 gran a day. I aim to get 15 but if luck isn't favoring me that day after 30-60 minutes or so my memory is so over filled with the memories from previous games that I can no longer accurately recall anything and I have to settle for 10. Lately I've been having to settle for 10 far more then I used to (I used to get 15 atleast every other day, but I've had a string of only 10 for several days in a row recently) so I guess its possible something changed but I really think its just a luck thing. Even when I'm not having bad luck though occasionally I just have those days where I don't have an hour to dedicate to mirage master or I'm mentally exhausted and just don't have the ability to pull off 15 even from the start so that always factors in too. I admit with these 400 costing EX packs I've yet to afford any of staring me down and disapearing in a month these 10 per days are hurting more then they used to.

2. One game of alteil really isn't much to ask for 10 gran per week, if you really don't want to play you can just start a match and give up immediately, other wise it shouldn't be taking you more then 15-25 minutes for a game. Unless I have a really lucky day I spend atleast that much time in mirage master.

3. How big is your collection of the current cards? Have most if not all 1 and 2 star rares? If so I'd probably save up for the next set, getting those extra 3-5 star rarity cards you need will be really hard but when the next set comes out you'll have access to a whole bunch of new 1-2 star rares right off the bat because you saved. The EX cards are a terrible deal by comparison to either normal or expansion pack and if you already have 1 of each and your only collecting them for the sake of having, not playing, then I really don't see any reason to consider getting more.

4. Originally that's what I was doing, but now I'm counting starter and set cards as seperate in my collection. Among possible future changes that might occur, presently we've already seen that when we have special alternate art events only non-starter cards get the alternate art so as a collector to me its worth having both. Still if I have more then 3 of any card not including starter cards then I always recycle it off, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to. Heck if anything the game should auto-recycle them for you.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby ShinyDanmaku » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:43 am

1. I played MM each day for 20 gran too but recently it feels like it got a lot harder to clear. Now I just try a few times for 20 and if it fails I'll just settle for 15.

2. Well, every gran counts. :D It adds up over time.

3. If you're just collecting rather than playing then go for the boxes. Although it does take a long time to get 2,1k gran.

4. Yup, you only need three copies of a card. You can recycle the rest but I like my cards without the beginner mark on them so I'm doing the same as Dan.
ShinyDanmaku

Postby Illyasviel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm

First off, let me say thank you to all of you for your advice! It is appreciated, and very helpful.

Secondly, this is rather odd. Out of the four people who posted here, three of them noticed the same thing I did, that recently, Mirage Master has seemingly gotten harder. I wonder if that's enough reason to ask a mod if something happened?

But back to the matter at hand, I think I will save up for a booster box of the next set, although I really want a Chaoslady/Annarose...

Think I should do one or two lotteries, just to say I did? Ditto for a single booster pack?

(And Dan, if you're curious about my collection, I actually have another thread floating somewhere around here that lists every card I own. From memory, I can't remember what all I got, I think I got a decent chunk of the 1 and 2 star cards. And Wasseir and Thunderbolt, debating using them as SS cards.)
Illyasviel

Postby Candi » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:10 pm

Illyasviel wrote:But back to the matter at hand, I think I will save up for a booster box of the next set, although I really want a Chaoslady/Annarose...

Ditto on Witch Queen / Catherina.

Illyasviel wrote:Think I should do one or two lotteries, just to say I did? Ditto for a single booster pack?

Lol, why not?
Candi

Postby CalebTheWise » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:48 pm

I usually play just for 10 a day, because I can usually get my Gran in about 10 minutes. I'm capable of going higher, but expecting me to spend 40 minutes busting my butt on a game a chance for a reward that equates to less than a quarter is frankly insulting.
CalebTheWise

Postby Logress » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Nothing has changed about mirage master (at least not on purpose), but I'll check with dwildstar. He's a bit of an expert on the game.
As for collecting, I always recommend boxes.
My computer science is kind of rusty, but basically when the computer generates a box, it does so all at once, and makes sure things fit truly randomly (at least within that 75 card spread), if that makes any sense to you. The lottery is generated by single instances with single seeds so it is more susceptible to the "psuedo" in "psuedo random numbers" that all computers generate. Now programming gurus have told me a thousand times that algorithms for random numbers have come a long way since I was a kid, sitting in my room writing BASIC programs on my Commadore 64, but that doesn't change the fact that I've seen the lottery generate 10 Lycanthrope [Leonardo]'s in a row.
BTW, the greater the range the less this is a problem, so as more sets come out my comp sci paranoia should matter less and less.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Romdeau » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:17 pm

If we're aiming for a higher chance of varying cards, then buying in bulk (boosters or boxes) is the way to go; is that what you're suggesting Logress?
Romdeau

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion