RANT: tournament price !!!

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

RANT: tournament price !!!

Postby neonsun » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:08 pm

Ok personally i think the price is okay with me but after a chat with several ixcers , i ve been told that its a bit expensive !!
So again your opinions are welcomed :

Is 300gran for the tournament too much or not ??
HAving molerat meat for breakfast lunch and dinner ....Cheers !!!!
neonsun

Re: RANT: tournament price !!!

Postby Candi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Technically, 250 gran (you get 50 back if you play 5 games, so basically try).

And 2.50$ for a tournament with some guaranteed battles that are balanced by it being sealed? I think that's fair. It costs plenty more to enter a sealed magic tournament, I used to pay 5$ for weekly Draft games at my local card shop in high school so I think it's ok. Especially considering I don't get real cards to take home at the end.
Candi

Postby arfort » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:25 pm

Also for the tournament there are only 4 prizes, for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 30th position. Have you guys considered giving out prizes based on the number of players that attend the tournament? If 100 players join into the tournament that means only 4% of players get something out of it, 200 is 2%, 400 is 1%... that's not much incentive to join in. Next time, could you consider giving the same custom and very cool prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd position but also give 4th up to the top 10% rounded down of players a certain prize in gran (3x the entry fee maybe), top11% to top 25% 2x the entry fee and top 26% to top 40% 1x their entry fee.
IE: Tournament has 184 players, 1st, 2nd, 3rd get to pick rares or get a bikini avatar of the bear killing axeman or something. 4th to 18th place would get 900 grans, 19th to 46th gets 600 grans and 47th to 73th get their 300 grans back.

My main concern is that very limited amount of prizes makes it extremely unlikely a lot of players will join pay tournaments and in the end it's really less profit for the owners of the game. The numbers shown are just an exemple. But in most tournament I've been there are prizes for at least the top 20-25% players minimum. I've seen others are very top heavy with only the top 10% getting prizes but in this case there would need to be 30 players or less for even the top 10% to get something.

MTGO (magic online)'s draft (8 players) gave prizes for top 2 (8-4 packs) or top 4 (4-3-1-1) when I used to play. So that's top 25% or 50%. 32 man tournament had prizes for top 8, again that's top 25%. Prizes increased automatically with more players.
arfort

Postby Meshenka » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:57 pm

300 Gran seems very fair to me. $2.50 is not a lot to enter a tournament, and the lads and lasses that work to bring you this game need to make money too :). Now, obviously, people who don't and won't buy Gran won't get into the tournament (unless they have been saving up for something else, like a booster pack). People who didn't think they would but want to get into this tournament might be convinced to make that step and buy Gran (and like I said, money needs to be made. This first step is rather important). People who already buy gran will be in.

The only gripe one could possibly have with the price is that they didn't give those people who do not wish to buy gran enough time to save up with Mirage Master and rankings for the tournament fee so they could join. But there are rather a lot of counter-arguments against that, not in the least the one which says that they would lose the gran-sales from that second type of person described above.

When all's said and done, I believe joining the tournament is a priviledge, not a right. We already get to play a damn good game for free and it would be childish (not to mention naive) to begrudge the owners and their employees a healthy profit, something that ensures the long-term existence of Alteil.
Meshenka

Postby EvilGenius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:28 pm

It's just like the Ex cards: If you don't like the price, don't buy it. ;a31
EvilGenius

Postby Romdeau » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Evil,

Do you and sensei have something to share with the rest of us? I do see her with you a lot around this site... ;)

Personally I like the breeze.
;zagar
Romdeau

Postby EvilGenius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Proxy wrote:Evil,

Do you and sensei have something to share with the rest of us? I do see her with you a lot around this site... ;)

Personally I like the breeze.
;zagar

;a30 ;a41 Refess 4 Life.
EvilGenius

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:35 pm

I admit the price was more then I expected but there's nothing wrong with having more expensive tournaments as long as the prizes justify the price. For me, the prizes (and especially the limited distribution) don't justify the entry fee in this case, but I'm not going to complain, doesn't negatively effect me at all, I just won't enter.

In the future though I'd love to see tournaments with cheaper entree fee and better prize distribution. Maybe 50 Gran to enter, everyone who places in the top 50% gets a random card (as if they entered the lottery), everyone in the top 25% gets an additional random card, everyone in the top 10% gets a random 3 star card. 3rd place gets their pick of a 3 star card, 2nd gets their pick of a 4 star card, and 1st place gets their pick of a 5 star card.

With a format like that its not only more accessible to most people at only 50 gran, but half the players at least come away with something, 1/4 of the players came away with a little more value in cards then what they paid to enter (60 gran worth of lottery cards, paid 50 gran to enter), 10% came away having done really well for their self, and the top 3 still make out like bandits.

The inherent problem with card games is that for some one to win, some one has to lose, as such its always helpful to try to make as many people as possible feel like winners and as few as possible feel like losers.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby ANIMEniac » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:44 pm

Card game wise, $3 is cheap for a sealed tournament. Usually you'd pay $10+ depending on game. However, the drawback is, I don't think we will keep these cards like real tournaments. If it was true, that would be damn cheap for something close to a starter (hence why I don't think it is the case).

I wish I had time to save up gran for this, but as mentioned, it is a push for people to buy a bit of gran. Also, i think the rewards is more than people think.

From the announcement:
3rd: Any two Rarity 3 cards of your choice 30th: Any Rarity 3 card of your choice

Am I reading this right? Top 30 will come out with something? Thats not too bad.
I only wish they put more info on the event. How are these Sealed Packs set up? Are we getting a "Starter Deck" type or is it more like getting X random cards/booster to use. The first being a bit more consistent for play. The later (and probably the most exciting) is the randomness. Luck will be a big factor, but even better is the challenge to make the best of your cards. It may just force players to run 2-3 colors just to make a deck.

Now where is that credit card >.>

EDIT:
In response to Dan, I would also agree, it would be nice to come out with something, especially in a game like this and at the stage it is now.
I think that is where the 50 Gran return comes in, its like being given an entry prize (and worth more than the 2-3rd prize if you're lucky). Working on percentage may be nice in theory, but from experience, it can be worse if the turnout is lower than expected. It is usually safer to have a set prize distribution. And if by chance the turnout is lower, then i guess everyone can walk out with something. This happened in a money tournament i went to. Top 32 got some cash, and only 34 showed up. Pretty much walked out with free cash XD
Last edited by ANIMEniac on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANIMEniac

Postby Candi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:46 pm

ANIMEniac wrote:Am I reading this right? Top 30 will come out with something?

No you are not. There are 4 prizes, 30th is like a random consolation prize awarded to the guy who finishes 30th.
Candi

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion