RANT: tournament price !!!

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: RANT: tournament price !!!

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:47 pm

ANIMEniac wrote:Card game wise, $3 is cheap for a sealed tournament. Usually you'd pay $10+ depending on game. However, the drawback is, I don't think we will keep these cards like real tournaments. If it was true, that would be damn cheap for something close to a starter (hence why I don't think it is the case).

I wish I had time to save up gran for this, but as mentioned, it is a push for people to buy a bit of gran. Also, i think the rewards is more than people think.

From the announcement:
3rd: Any two Rarity 3 cards of your choice 30th: Any Rarity 3 card of your choice

Am I reading this right? Top 30 will come out with something? Thats not too bad.
I only wish they put more info on the event. How are these Sealed Packs set up? Are we getting a "Starter Deck" type or is it more like getting X random cards/booster to use. The first being a bit more consistent for play. The later (and probably the most exciting) is the randomness. Luck will be a big factor, but even better is the challenge to make the best of your cards. It may just force players to run 2-3 colors just to make a deck.

Now where is that credit card >.>

Sorry your not reading right, only 30th place gets something, 4-29 gets nothing. I was happy with the prize distribution until they clarified that point for me.

They've also confirmed that you will NOT get to keep the cards in your sealed deck.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby ANIMEniac » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:54 pm

That 30th place prize is so...RANDOM!

Thanks for the clarifications.
ANIMEniac

Postby Tenkai » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:13 am

Personally I won't enter: 300 Gran is the amount of gran I almost saved up for 3 weeks.
Tenkai

Postby arfort » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:43 am

EvilGenius wrote:It's just like the Ex cards: If you don't like the price, don't buy it. ;a31

The problem is you actually need a lot of people to join for a league tournament to work. Fixed rounds tournament can be done with a very small number of players since it's scheduled, round 1 starts at 8am, then round 2 then round 3, etc so everyone's there. In this you need people queueing up at all time for people to come in and it be worth it. Magic online's leagues (tournaments that last days, where you queue up when you want to, exactly like Alteil's tournaments) take 256 players each if I recall and even then you often have to wait a few minutes when you queue up for someone else to also queue.
Also, it's said that the price would be smaller than standard ccg tournaments. On Magic online, the price for sealed tournaments is your products which you get to keep plus 2 tickets... the equivalent of 200 grans. So a draft with 8 players paying 16 tickets in total has 12 boosters pack has prizes which are worth 3 tickets each (that's the amount you'd get if you wanted to resell your prizes quickly back in my days anyway) or 4 tickets if you were willing to sit on it for a little bit before finding a buyer. So that's minimum 36 tickets of prizes and the participants putted in 16 tickets + had to buy merchandise.

The first tournament worked even with next to no prizes because it was free. It was also a "constructed with proxies" kind of tournament since you could use any cards, even those you don't own which is pretty much the equivalent of being able to print your cards and come into a tournament and play with that. I've seen that once locally because people wanted to try out doing decks with moxes, etc and nobody in their right mind actually own those cards. That's always popular because you get to play with whatever you want.

Basically, if they want to do tournament like this that works they need to make it so that more people will want to join in.
arfort

Postby AnnaTheRed » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:53 am

DanTheTimid wrote: only 30th place gets something, 4-29 gets nothing.

Duel more than 5 times, and you get 50 gran.

AnnaTheRed
;a40
AnnaTheRed

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:58 am

AnnaTheRed wrote:
DanTheTimid wrote: only 30th place gets something, 4-29 gets nothing.

Duel more than 5 times, and you get 50 gran.

AnnaTheRed
;a40

:roll: Fine you have me there, technically you still get something, but I honestly see that more as the tournament costing 250 and you just have to pay an extra 50 up front until you prove your going to indeed be an active member of the tournament with the goal (I assume) being to penalize players who enter multiple times looking for the ideal sealed deck. For all but the 4 players who get the actual prizes all they really walk away with is -250 gran. If 4-29 got even a random 3 star, didn't get to choose, I'd still say it was worth it (with my assumption being the tournament won't be too big in size, even that's a weak prize if we had say 500 entrants thus why I always suggest percentage based prized distribution over specific numbers beyond 1-3) but so few prizes being given out means even if only 30 people enter, 26 people walk away with nothing but a 250 lighter gran wallet. That's an awful lot of losers and not many winners. Any entrants beyond that point just further adds to the number of people who are going to walk away with out anything to show for their entrance fee.

Don't misunderstand though, I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, cause I don't care how you set up the tournaments, as long as they don't have exclusives for prizes it doesn't hurt me in any way, I'm just saying its a little naive to think of that 50 gran back from 300 paid as a "prize".
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby arfort » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:35 pm

So right now there are 12 people actually in, 10 that dropped... probably someone "reloading" his deck a bunch of time until something decent came up. It's virtually impossible to get into a game with so few people in the tourny.
arfort

Postby Wisp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:44 pm

If I was just to look at the prizes, I will agree that the price is really high. While yes, it is a decent prize I just feel that the total gran of entry fees should equal the total gran value of prizes. The rules of the tournament are centered around a huge gamble on the cards you recieve, expecially since they aren't set packs, just random 100 cards!

Honestly, I doubt I will win, but I am participating for privaledge of trying something new. I think though, if you had upped the entry fee with keeping the sealed cards or kept the fee with set decks you would most likely have more people interested in playing... Ah well, I'll still have fun! ^_^

Sadly, I'm at work and can't play atm - I can still get into the forums though! <3 I'll be back tonight to play some more, so hopefully I'll see ya there Arfort!
Wisp

Postby Phades » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:37 pm

arfort wrote:So right now there are 12 people actually in, 10 that dropped... probably someone "reloading" his deck a bunch of time until something decent came up. It's virtually impossible to get into a game with so few people in the tourny.

Sounds like so far the "top 3" players are going to be the ones that actually get in some games with wins, opposed to having an unreachable streak. This could change after 5pm friday though, when people have more free time, assuming they were interested in the first place.
Phades

Postby Candi » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Phades wrote:
arfort wrote:So right now there are 12 people actually in, 10 that dropped... probably someone "reloading" his deck a bunch of time until something decent came up. It's virtually impossible to get into a game with so few people in the tourny.

Sounds like so far the "top 3" players are going to be the ones that actually get in some games with wins, opposed to having an unreachable streak. This could change after 5pm friday though, when people have more free time, assuming they were interested in the first place.

I duno first guy I played had a startlingly strong deck, and was on a 3 win streak when he beat me. o.o
Candi

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion