On the current Summer Championship standings...

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

On the current Summer Championship standings...

Postby CalebTheWise » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:58 pm

Currently a player named Shuuya is at the top of the standings, after having posted a 10-win streak. I played a round against her, and during the table talk she confided that this was actually her third run through the tournament- her main persona was ANIMEniac, who is currently ranked 5th.

I don't have anything against taking the tourney multiple times, and anyway making an alt in Alteil is easy enough that I don't think it could be prevented. But it concerns me that a single player, even a skilled one, could take home two different prizes given enough alts.

Thoughts?
CalebTheWise

Re: On the current Summer Championship standings...

Postby Candi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:02 pm

CalebTheWise wrote:Thoughts?

It's a pay to enter tournament, if that's the way it goes then that's the way it goes. So long as player in question is not trying to rig the randomizer and battle themselves for easy wins - they better be earning those victories. I played against Shuuya for her 7th or 8th win, and she earned it. The battle came down to 1 LP and was rather tense.
Candi

Postby Romdeau » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:14 pm

Well, like Logress pointed out the pay to play part is to discourage Iczers from making multiple entries to increase their chances of a good deck/winning; I think it's a bit sketchy, but it's legal. The prize itself becomes less valuable as a single Iczer pays for multiple entries. 600 gran for a 5 star of your choice? Meh, alright I guess it's worth it. However, I see Souldier climbing up through the ranks for a contest of who can go undefeated the longest.

In response to this tournaments formatting, I find it to be acceptable, but the matchmaker should keep track of who's played who. I ran into the same Iczer twice on the same day within an hour of each duel and we both found it disagreeable; it's not like we suddenly changed our decks to a new strategy. With the number of entrants and duels required to qualify, I'd argue that it's more reasonable for the computer to keep track of who duels against who and insure that they don't fight against each other again for this particular tournament.

I'd like to hear a GMs thoughts on this suggestion.
Romdeau

Postby ANIMEniac » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:46 pm

I am a guy T-T

Yes, I do have 2 accounts, but I don't think its any different than wanting to restart the tournament after a bad start. Only difference is I prefer to leave my guy at his current standing and not lose out the 50 Gran plus time.

One thing about this tournament, it gets hard to find opponents down the line. People stop playing after the rankings are set and they feel like it's not worth the time to continue. I can see this may be a point where it may be possible to try to use two accounts to get that extra win.

This kind of format is all about wins, unlike other tournaments, this does not pair you against people of equal rank/calibur. This is one draw back i see to the tournament format. Of course, to do that, everyone would be forced to play at the same time.
ANIMEniac

Postby Romdeau » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:11 pm

ANIMEniac wrote:I am a guy T-T

Did you select a female avatar for your side account? Maybe this is why he got confused.
Romdeau

Postby CalebTheWise » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Proxy wrote:
ANIMEniac wrote:I am a guy T-T

Did you select a female avatar for your side account? Maybe this is why he got confused.

I read them both as feminine names, okay? My chick radar's busted, and if the men would choose manly names we wouldn't have this problem! >_<
CalebTheWise

Postby ANIMEniac » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Just the standard male avatar
ANIMEniac

Postby Logress » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:24 pm

Well, 10 wins in a row is really, really hard, even if you restart a bunch of times. No one has restarted so many times (at least so far) that I think they've challenged the gods of randomness just yet. Also, remember there are tiebrakers, so even if you do it's not a sure win.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby ANIMEniac » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:35 pm

I congratulate Souldier for achieving a lossless record as well =)
However, due to the tie breaking ruling, I'm now in a cat and mouse game against him =(

I will constantly have to push ahead while he just needs to keep up to win...
I kind of feel at a disadvantage b/c of that ruling. It feels like a huge disadvantage to be the first on top, since I will be the one required to make the pushes. Flipping the ruling of course, would make the people catching up have to push a bit more, but isn't that the main idea? Having to push ahead for the better rank? not just "catch up"?

Just something I feel should be looked at.
ANIMEniac

Postby Romdeau » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:19 pm

I have to agree with ANIMEniac regarding the first to first gets hosed. Seriously, the challenger should be the one that has to step it up, not the champ. The champ did his work faster than the challenger, so why should he have to re-raise the bar when someone's only just tied him in wins? This automatically puts him at risk for losing his position at second just because the guy behind him showed up hours after him.

That's a really strange race if someone were to ask me about that. :?
Romdeau

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion