On the current Summer Championship standings...

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: On the current Summer Championship standings...

Postby angelatheist » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:23 pm

It makes sense to me for the later game to be the tie breaker. The later you play your game the harder it will be since people will probably have made their files better and have more experience with them.
angelatheist

Postby Logress » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:28 am

This is true, also the longer you wait to hit your 10th battle (and so on once the cat and mouse starts), the bigger risk you're taking because if you lose then, the less time left you have to either play a zillion battles to get back into the top ranking, or restart and get another 10 victories.
For example. one strategy would be to play 9 games and then wait until the last minute to play your tenth, so no one gets into a back and fourth contest with you until it's too late. The risk is, if you lose that tenth match you'll never make it up, even with a restart.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby ANIMEniac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:51 am

Well, that makes sense if it was easy to restart. And in this situation, it won't likely happen.

First is the lack of players in the tournament. *Why does it say theres 25/52 yet no one is battling in the lobby?*
This is worrisome b/c I may not get a good chance to catch a match before the end. It is discouraging b/c even though i was first to be #1, I end up having to push more than the next guy to secure my win.

My best option is to wait, however the problem is not time to catch up, it will be finding someone playing...
ANIMEniac

Postby ANIMEniac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Well, guess things finally decided. Souldier and I ran into one another this morning and had a great battle.
ANIMEniac

Postby Logress » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:01 pm

I think the game tries to match the best with the best. When Galanrial hit 9-0, he got Souldier as his 10th battle, who was 7-0 at the time. And, I'd love to hear how your duel went!
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby ANIMEniac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:06 pm

I would really like to know how the pairing are done. Most of the time it seems pretty random.

Well, this morning when I woke up, I checked the standings and saw that Souldier was up. Very surprising seeing as he was already placed 1st. And it wasn't just by 1, but by 2 wins. I log on and check the tournament lobby, no one playing...
I start battle and behold! The SHOWDOWN of Souldier and I. He said he was calling me out and so it worked. Seems like he would be gone for the end, so this was probably his best chance to prevent me from moving above him. Felt like one of those epic hero showdowns, face to face to finally put an end to the chase XD

I'll post about that match as well as my deck/seal for anyone that is interested after the tourny. Always good experience to see what people choose to play over what and compare it to what you would do.
ANIMEniac

Postby Souldier » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:18 pm

The match I had against ANIMEniac was one of the hardest ones I had to face during this tournament. The only other one I could think of that was harder involved a Dragonrider with 40 DEF... ask Galanrial for the details. ANIMEniac pulled out the one card I wasn't expecting to see, Moon and Soul / Noirwieden, which caused a lot of problems for me. It also didn't help that he was able to use his Assassin's SS on it when I got a bigger field going. It also also didn't help that I though Noirweiden was one level lower when I played Return, although it still worked out nicely on his Crest Regenerator Knight. xD

For anyone interested, I was running Falkov with a bit of Gowen splashed in. It's actually not that much different than the Falkov starter, except i had better SS cards (Dragonrider, Roaming Predator, High Priest) and one less copy of the good 3-star monsters. I actually wish that I had all of these cards outside the tournament, cause I would seriously run this deck in regular play.
The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach; be sure to stab with an upwards motion!
Souldier

Postby Marquez » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:26 pm

About the first to 10 wins idea. I think thats a terrible idea. The reason being that the tournament is suppose to take all weekend. What about those people that work fridays? they could be beat out by the early morning tourny rush. That makes it no fair to the working class whatsoever. It can take as little as 2-3 hours to play 10 matchs, when the tournament takes place over a 72 hour period.
Marquez

Postby ANIMEniac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:24 pm

This argument could go either way. Most tie breakers in CCG are determined by who you face (better breakers when playing against better rank players). The one reason I don't like it is b/c the "next" person auto wins the better rank. Soon there will be pushes for 2-4 with X-1 records. Again, it may just come down to timing of the match. Arguing for the rule, it keeps the person catching up having to play the X+1 match to lead and so instead of 2 to lead it only takes 1.

Next thing to consider, I think some of the most intense matches were early in the tournament. There were wider number of players plus those with good records had to knock one another down. This may just be a lesson about the tournament that first has no meaning. It's actually bad to be the first with the better record.

@Souldier
Those Returns hurt so much (not to mention those 3 great Soul Cards). Lacking the tankers made the Angel a bit too vulnerable. I probably should have played with the other part of the deck instead of her.
ANIMEniac

Postby Marquez » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:11 pm

so i have a really good deck runnin 10-1 right now, on a 9 game winning. The sad part is im gonna stick in third because id rather have 2 3 star cards then 1 four star card. Its different for everyone though.
Marquez

Previous

Return to Alteil General Discussion