Summer Champ Thoughts and Decklist

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Summer Champ Thoughts and Decklist

Postby ANIMEniac » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Now that the tournament is over, we can go back to our usual routine...more Folrart BATTLES!!

First my thoughts about the event.
UP-TO-DATE RANKING
The new up-to-date ranking was something you can both hate and love. It was great to know where you stood and how much work you needed to get the top. The hate comes from people knowing what they need to catch 1st, unlike the First tournament everyone played until the passed out XD. Also, it may have discouraged players seeing the ranking records. However, overall, i think it is worth it. We save ourselves form "overworking" in the tournament and also see if someone is trying to "sneak" away with the win. Kudos to the team for getting that set up.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT
As people have mentioned, the tournament was a bit too long and competition died early. Competition was pretty fierce early on and the good record holders had to deal with one another. Later on, it cools down. Well, after this experience, it shows that first to top isn't so great. There is the tie-breaker rule and the competition to worry about. I know I complained about the tie-breaker rules. I still feel somewhat irked about it. But i can understand how it fits with how the tournament goes and how it is an incentive to take your time.

PLAYING INCENTIVE
How many decided to not try after seeing X/0/0 by second day? Or the X/1/0 first day? There just isn't enough incentive to continue playing as the tournament goes on. This was also shown when half the entrants didn't make the 10 game minimum. Of course, I think most people just stopped at 5 to get their 50 Gran back. CCGs I play have a $3-4 fee for events. You join to play and usually get a promo card for just joining, or a booster pack at least. If there was something people would like to go for even if they know they can't win top, it can be an incentive for them to try, instead of back off after seeing a "hopeless" win.

Now for anyone interested, my deck list and Sealed Cards:

Soul Cards:

Witch - Magic Doll - Mad Priest - Assassin - Zuga

3x Shades
2x Crest Knight
3x Moonlight
2x Assassin
3x Girl Spectre
1x Druid
1x Noirweiden
1x Annarose
1x Return to Dust
1x Counter
3x Eagle Soldier
3x Sylph
1x Return

Sealed Pack
1x Folrart Knight
1x Rapidshot
1x Spearwoman
3x Cassowary
1x Defensive Maneuvers
3x Ancient Spear
2x COmbat Priest
1x Carbuncle
3x Will o'
2x Kesaran
3x Heal
3x EX: Zagar

1x Annarose
1x Zuga
3x Assassin
1x Elite Crest
1x Mad Priest
1x Leo
1x Lilith
2x Castle Wight
3x Counter
3x Moonlight
1x Magic Doll
2x Crest Knight
1x Druid
3x Girl Spectre
1x Animated
3x Shade
1x Return to Dust
1x Noir

1x Kurina
2x Dual-Wielder
2x Brave
1x Scout
1x Revovler
1x Efreet
2x Charge
1x Blitz
3x Lightning Archer
1x Spore
3x Dryad
1x Salamander
3x Berserker
1x Magic Weapon
2x Fire Arrow

1x Scythe
1x Swan
1x Djinn
1x Sea Hunter
1x Squid
3x Eagle
1x Guard
1x Haste
1x Song
2x Witch
2x Harpy
3x Sylph
1x Undine
1x Flying
1x Return

Deck usually starts out shade, then regen knight, then moonlight. First option is playing Noir sometime after. She usually comes out after 2nd soul hits. Mad Priest is 2LP to support Noir's ability, and the Assassin is her safety switch. Most cases I am able to remove her and opposing unit. A counter on her would have been devastating if i ever had the chance to. Second option (the option I should have used against Souldier) was push into Falkow. Use Sylphs and then Eagles and Return.
ANIMEniac

Re: Summer Champ Thoughts and Decklist

Postby teasel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:31 am

so umm... why didn't you play zugaretoza? was it because you already had noirweiden? also it seems kinda exagerated to go up to a lv 3 card for splashing stuff
teasel

Re: Summer Champ Thoughts and Decklist

Postby Phades » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:28 pm

ANIMEniac wrote:First my thoughts about the event.
UP-TO-DATE RANKING
The new up-to-date ranking was something you can both hate and love. It was great to know where you stood and how much work you needed to get the top. The hate comes from people knowing what they need to catch 1st, unlike the First tournament everyone played until the passed out XD. Also, it may have discouraged players seeing the ranking records. However, overall, i think it is worth it. We save ourselves form "overworking" in the tournament and also see if someone is trying to "sneak" away with the win. Kudos to the team for getting that set up.
The updating involved with their ranking system is fine, if it wasn't used as their only method for determining placing. I think this system is very good to be used as a seeding process for a final matching tournament system. The reason for this being is that there is no guarentee that a person who went 10-0-0 was ever paired up with someone of similar standing, while another person who played more games and ended up with a record of 10-1-1 could have played stronger opponents in general by comparison. Even with an initial seeding system, someone could still sneak in at the end, given the tie breaker rules, but i think it gives a good indication for "qualifying" for a more structured tournament and the list updating gives incentive for those within qualifying range to continue to try and improve their standings.

The current system is rather discouraging for anyone towards the bottom though.

ANIMEniac wrote:TOURNAMENT FORMAT
As people have mentioned, the tournament was a bit too long and competition died early. Competition was pretty fierce early on and the good record holders had to deal with one another. Later on, it cools down. Well, after this experience, it shows that first to top isn't so great. There is the tie-breaker rule and the competition to worry about. I know I complained about the tie-breaker rules. I still feel somewhat irked about it. But i can understand how it fits with how the tournament goes and how it is an incentive to take your time.
Actually, i think the system setup for the number of players was far too short given the different time zones invovled. This was one of the reasons why i never even bothered entering in the first place, since i knew my playtime would be non-existant durring the weekend this time around and that was when the bulk of the time of the tournament sat within. If the initial seeding occured durring the week, and then finals took place on a pre-determined day, then people with less free time could arrange to schedual for it assuming it was an option.

ANIMEniac wrote:PLAYING INCENTIVE
How many decided to not try after seeing X/0/0 by second day? Or the X/1/0 first day? There just isn't enough incentive to continue playing as the tournament goes on. This was also shown when half the entrants didn't make the 10 game minimum. Of course, I think most people just stopped at 5 to get their 50 Gran back. CCGs I play have a $3-4 fee for events. You join to play and usually get a promo card for just joining, or a booster pack at least. If there was something people would like to go for even if they know they can't win top, it can be an incentive for them to try, instead of back off after seeing a "hopeless" win.
Others have already commented on the prize range. There are different ways to handle it, but the current system does detract from anyone starting late, getting an early loss, getting a bad draw (sealed deck only), getting paired up with the same person more than once, and possibly other reasons that aren't comming to mind right now. Basically, even if someone were to get out ahead first and no one else was close to the top 3, the vacccum of people giving up would make it basically impossible to catch up or even finish as the results of this tournament would indicate.
Phades

Return to Alteil General Discussion