He who spends, wins

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

He who spends, wins

Postby JakeLogan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:27 am

So, WTF, is this all going to just turn into another "he who spends, winds" dilemna?

Right now, all I've seen is overtly powerful/broken cards, rules abuse and a lot of people with expendable income.

I like this game a lot, but I also like not having my **** handed to me by someone with a bigger wallet. I'm not gonna waste cash on this and that Mirage Master is horsepoop.
JakeLogan

Re: He who spends, wins

Postby slashzero » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 am

How about a few examples? I've seen this thread too many times, so at least give me something to respond to or else I might as well copy/paste my other posts together.
slashzero

Postby DWildstar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:48 am

Hey Jake, sorry you're having trouble. Let me just remind you that we're trying to keep these forums family friendly so please no cursing. A lot of people have bought cards at this point, but I don't think in all cases they're winning more often because of it. I'm starting to see more people with rare cards set as Soul Cards, but I still think that the majority of the time people aren't using a lot of rare cards. It's also worth noting that most of the very top players don't have many rares when I play against them. So don't give up! A good strategy is the best way to win.
DWildstar

Postby Candi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 am

I think someone somewhere put it most elegantly:

"Welcome to free online gaming"

But seriously, why does everyone insist on this? I've had my fair share of total annihilation matches in which my opponent sports more 5*'s then I have pennies in my wallet, I don't complain though. I just pick myself off the tarmac and prepare for another duel. On the flip side, I have demolished Iczer's running "broken" decks with my slightly modified Falkow starter. Half the game is money half the game is skill, and in some cases skill beats out money.

Another solution to this problem is a larger player base - as the game increases in size there will be a larger variance of players in Folrart and the guys with the "big wallets and proportionally sized guns" will be less frequently wiping the floor with you. Also, additional sets will mess with the metagame which will probably remove these current "broken" decks in favour of different strategy's. For instance, up until about a day ago, LeBeau was never seen in Folrart because of the EX packs existence. Now, it seems to be back in style, but that's besides the point.

When the game gets larger this will be less of a problem, but as of right now there are optimal decks to play in each sphere and those with the money will be playing those decks simply put, because they work. The card base is very small so those starter decks - although half decent - don't compare to the current meta very well, unless you run Falkow or Gowen and scored with your level ups (Panther Soul / Blitz Soldier).

If it's this big of a deal for you, make a new account and chill out in Crest until the player base expands some more or at least until Set 2 is released next month sometime (I think). Crest is always a challenge because so few people in there spend money - and those that do usually wait it out until level 10 because they know that's when the going gets tough.
Candi

Postby arfort » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 am

I've played against someone who said he had a set (three copies) of all but 3 of the 8 5 stars... and pretty much had a set of everything else. Now that's spending a lot of money in the game. And guess what, he lost really badly to me and he's in the 1450-1500 bracket. So he's not winning all that much against others either. Heck, if this was just about money everyone would have ended up with 40-60% win rates at most in the free tournament a month ago where you could pick any card you wanted. Quite a few people ended with extremely low win rates while others finished between 80-90%.
I did get lucky at first and I did spent more since but I've reached over 2000 RP with a streak of 26 wins in a row with 25$ of cards purchased... that's not a whole lot of money. That's basically the cost of going to a good theatre on a friday night and getting a tacos and drink combo.
So yeah, you need to put in some money or play for free for a very long time to be competitive. But you don't need to buy so much cards you have sets of 5 stars to win either. And in the end for every game someone has to lose it. For everyone at 1600 rp there's someone else at 1400. Not everyone can be better, stronger, faster.
arfort

Postby teasel » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 am

I've played against someone who said he had a set (three copies) of all but 3 of the 8 5 stars... and pretty much had a set of everything else. Now that's spending a lot of money in the game. And guess what, he lost really badly to me and he's in the 1450-1500 bracket.

was he playing refess? :D
teasel

Postby Wisp » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:52 am

I have put a decent amount of money into this game - my own money mind you, I work for a living! But for the longest time I still found myself outmatched by a good majority of players. So you know what I did? I switched out cards, tried different spheres/strategies until i got something to work. While, yes, I do have a few rare cards, most of them are only useful as soul cards since I only have one - I find that a majority of the cards I used are one star or starter cards. I've got my little niche of strategy down now, and while it doesn't always work, I'm finally winning a decent share of battles now. I guess what I'm saying is that despite spending money, strategy wins out in the end. And once set2 comes out, everyone will have to scramble to find new interesting ways to win! ^_^
Wisp

Postby Kyrie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 pm

It's true that most people don't seem to be winning purely because of their rare cards, and although it can be very annoying to play people with 3 of each of the best rares and lose as a direct result of it, buying cards is hardly a guarantee of victory.
Kyrie

Postby anaeran » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 pm

I dont mind saying that the person arfort was talking about is me. yes i spent money on the game. i enjoy it and in the example he made i get more bang for my buck entertainment wise spending money and supporting this game than going to a movie etc.

even with having all but three cards to make an entire set of all cards currently out i find myself not using those 5 stars that much. they are either too expensive to play with the way the current game is or the lvl two through four star cards are just better.

I love my lawtia deck but i switched over to gowen recently because it is just working better for me with the current set of cards and yes my ranking is low atm because i have fought some very skilled players and got my butt stomped and i am still adjusting to the higher skill lvl players have in folrart and learning new tricks etc.
anaeran

Postby Romdeau » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:06 pm

He who spends, has more options-not necessarily winning. I have seen myself prove this over and over again;playing against opponents with cards I'll probably never see in my own file unless I decide to fork over major cash and still manage to pull a win with my slightly modified starter deck. It is possible, I once thought as you did, but I would argue 3 of the 4 clans have a fighting chance when it comes to keeping up with the skilled (and spending) players.
Romdeau

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion